PDA

View Full Version : Who remembers Grand Prix horses from early 80s?

Derid
Dec. 20, 2010, 06:46 PM
For the past few years when it gets cold outside and the nights are long I have a pedigree project that I pick up and work on. Well, the time has come! And, I'm stumped this year without a lead to follow. So, for all the dressage "oldie goldies" out there, how about some help with a few leads for me check out.

Here's what I know:
1) Imported, unapproved stallion (Hanoverian), shown under the name Marchenhoff
2) Competed in qualifier for 84 Olympics, reported to have been 2nd at end of the first day of competition.
3) he could Piaffe till the sun went down
4) he was by a stallion named Mozart
5) Competed in CA, top 5 I1/2 nationally, Pan-Am (?) maybe
6) he has offspring in CA and KS

Here's what would help:
1) owner or rider at the time of competitions
2) sire was Mozart, was it the Hannoverian or the Thoroughbred
3) any information on the dam line

Thanks!!:)

Danged Arab
Dec. 20, 2010, 07:15 PM
I remember him! I think his name was spelled Marchenhoff. There’s a picture of him here: http://landersdressage.com/about.html. Maybe the person whose site this is could help with more info.

Good luck!

Derid
Dec. 20, 2010, 07:21 PM
Danged Arab you were spot on! Thanks, I corrected the spelling.

Linda is the one that supplied me with 90% of the info I posted..and pics of him! He was robust boy! Quite a dancer.

Any other Oldie Goldies?

cyndi
Dec. 20, 2010, 10:55 PM
OMG - I rode him once! I worked in KC for a year at Hallmark, and took some lessons from Linda Landers, who owned him at the time. I think this was around 1987 - he was old then, and possibly retired. She had some horses by him on the farm. She put me on him - a training level rider at best at that time, but I'd ridden as a kid, so was in no danger of actually falling off. I sat on him while she cued him from the ground to do piaffe, and I got a few steps of passage out of him. It was an incredible ride! And it was so very generous of her!

I never knew his background - only his name.

canyonoak
Dec. 21, 2010, 10:05 AM
Kerry Schroeder rode and competed Marchenhoff.

Kerry used to also compete moto-cross before turning to dressage!

Derid
Dec. 21, 2010, 05:37 PM
Hey, now that's something that should fill up my evenings....delving into the sport the of motorcross. Any chance you know if she is still riding/training dressage?

Many thanks for the lead CanyonOak, and Cyndi I'm glad to have made you smile with a fond memory of a lovely horse!

Anybody else?

Derid

fourmares
Dec. 24, 2010, 01:02 AM
My friend has a mare by him.

Derid
Dec. 27, 2010, 12:08 PM
Hey fourmares,

Please, ask you friend if she knows anything regarding his pedigree. PM is fine, that way we won't be boring the rest of the crew!

Thanks. Derid