PDA

View Full Version : In search of a saddle pad...

Clever Pony
Dec. 20, 2010, 05:42 PM
So, here is my dilemma. My horse is a medium pony. I have a lovely AP saddle on her with more dressage-y type flaps. It seems impossible to find a saddle pad to fit this combination! AP saddle pads are too short and stop before the end of the flap. Dressage saddle pads are far too large everywhere for the lovely medium pony - she looks like she's been swallowed up by it!

Is there an in between saddle pad? One small enough to fit a medium pony's back length, but to also account for the longer flap?

I bought an Eskadron pony dressage saddle pad online, hoping this would be the trick and its smaller than my AP saddle pads!

Hampton Bay
Dec. 20, 2010, 07:10 PM
Have you tried the AP pads made by Classic Equine? VTO carries them. They are long enough to fit under an 18" Wintec Isabell, with the girth still being able to go through the little straps.

GreyDes
Dec. 20, 2010, 07:16 PM
Have you tried SeamsRight? www.seamsright.com.

She has several different sizes, and I was able to get a show pad for my small Arab that doesn't overwhelm him.

slp2
Dec. 21, 2010, 12:16 AM
I have found that some of the dressage saddle pads to be gi-normous--and I have regular size horses (15.3 and 16.1 hands). Check out a mattes pad (without the sheepskin) in the "Euro cut" style. I think these would look nice on a smaller horse.
http://www.smartpakequine.com/ProductClass.aspx?productclassid=7296&cm_vc=Search

RolyPolyPony
Dec. 21, 2010, 07:00 AM
I have an AP saddle w/ extra-long (and fwd - as fwd as AP flaps get, anyway) flaps, and I've had good luck w/ the inexpensive Riders International pads from Dover, though depending on what girth I use, I sometimes can't use the girth straps because they're just somehow in the wrong spot!

Also, the SmartPak brand pads seem to be very long - I got one for free during some promotion and while I haven't used it yet, it had a good couple of inches on my RI ones!

UniqueSaddlePads
Dec. 21, 2010, 08:53 AM
We can make a saddle pad to your specifications. If you have one that fits him well, you can send us the measurements and we can do the rest. Our saddle pads fit both dressage saddles and AP.

HollysHobbies
Dec. 21, 2010, 11:57 AM
Cheap alternative--you just want the smaller dressage pads--Dover carries the Rider pads...their spine length is 20-22" (as opposed to the supersized ones...26" spine or larger for warmbloods) and they are cut deep enough for a dressage saddle...they work on my morgan. $20

bort84
Dec. 21, 2010, 12:21 PM
Cheap alternative--you just want the smaller dressage pads--Dover carries the Rider pads...their spine length is 20-22" (as opposed to the supersized ones...26" spine or larger for warmbloods) and they are cut deep enough for a dressage saddle...they work on my morgan. $20

Yep, I have one of those for my very compact 15 hand appy. It's almost too short for my flaps (I can't use the girth loops), but I have a regular dressage saddle. It's also just long enough along the spine, so it might work out quite well for your smaller pony.

For $20 it's worth a shot. The Dover ones are perfectly fine for schooling, but you might want to look into some of the other recommendations for a spiffier show pad.

Clever Pony
Dec. 21, 2010, 08:53 PM
The SeamsRight pads are gorgeous, just a bit expensive! Maybe something I will want to invest in, but I'm not sure if I want to do that at the moment.

The Dover saddle pads sound appealing! Can you post a link for them?