PDA

View Full Version : lq trailers with slideouts?

suz
Dec. 20, 2010, 12:25 PM
recently this was mentioned on another thread, and i think it's a fabulous idea.
someday i'm going to replace my hawk with a trailer with lq, anyone know who makes horse trailers with slideouts?

LMH
Dec. 20, 2010, 03:36 PM
sundowner an featherlite.

I had one and prefer no slide. The thing locked up on me while out-PITA.

grinanride
Dec. 20, 2010, 03:51 PM
Hawk also builds slide LQ's
Risa

suz
Dec. 20, 2010, 08:29 PM
thanks risa, are they on the website?
i'd like to replace my hawk in the next few years with one.
actually, i really want to replace it this year, but will probably have to wait a couple of years!!!...

paintjumper
Dec. 20, 2010, 09:21 PM
They make a terrible trailer and are an even WORSE company!!! Take it from someone that has had 2......I'd rather RIDE the horse to the show than put them in a Sundowner......they'd be more safe in traffic!!!!!!!!!

LMH
Dec. 20, 2010, 09:38 PM
I currently have 2 Sundowners-each is about 5 years old.

Both have been fine.

hosspuller
Dec. 20, 2010, 11:39 PM
... anyone know who makes horse trailers with slideouts?

Slide-outs are common among the various builders. Just ask. They give the LQ more living space without adding length. The trade off is weight, cost, leaks and operating complexity.
I'm for KISS when it comes to trailers.

KarenC
Dec. 21, 2010, 09:00 AM
I have a Blue Ribbon with a slide-out. There are lot of views pros and cons, but the big one for me is I take my dogs with me - two big dogs - and the slide out gives me a TON more floor space for them.

paintjumper
Dec. 21, 2010, 09:21 AM
and check your floors. My last one was customed ordered, brand new from the factory and never made a trip in the North with any salt on the roads, we live in the deep South. The floor is rusting out......when I realized it, it was a mere 4 months out of warranty and the company said......."so sorry, the floor is not made to last forever"!!!!! Can you imagine riding down the interstate and the floor falling out from under the horses!!!!! Terrible trailer and terrible company. I have the pictures...give me your email.

In regards to the slide out conversation.....I have had one and it was wonderful. The extra space was a prized possession. It must be kept up though, store ALWAYS with the slide closed and lube the moving parts underneath it every 6 months. We had a huge 16' slide with a sleeper sofa and a dining booth and it worked great with the above maintenance.

grinanride
Dec. 22, 2010, 06:53 AM
thanks risa, are they on the website?
i'd like to replace my hawk in the next few years with one.
actually, i really want to replace it this year, but will probably have to wait a couple of years!!!...

I do not think there are any photos on the Hawk site - I will go thru my photos and PM you
Risa

Daydream Believer
Dec. 22, 2010, 07:06 AM
We have a custom made Double D Rawhide with a slide out. We love it.

cherham
Dec. 22, 2010, 06:07 PM
We were talked OUT of a slide out by the dealer that sold us our new LQ trailer. For a lot of good reasons, tons of extra weight, increased maintenance, quirky design for the floor (when you are opening and closing it every weekend at a show) and as already stated above ongoing concerns with the floor structure and framing of the trailer itself.

Not great resale on an older model even of 3 or 4 years. Better to go without the slide out and increase the length if you need more floor space.

Daydream Believer
Dec. 22, 2010, 09:26 PM
I have to say that our slide out makes our 10 short wall LQ so much bigger and more livable that I'm very glad we did it. Yes, it adds some weight and it added cost, but it also made it so much more spacious and open and you aren't tripping over each other in there.