PDA

View Full Version : How big is your wash stall?

SPF10
Dec. 20, 2010, 12:23 PM
Just put up a 36 x 48 barn, 4 - 12 x 12 on the one side trying to layout the other side. How big is your washstall? your tack room? Want to divide the other 12 x 48 feet into washstall/tack room/some hay/some sawdust. Ideas please and Thank you>

MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL!

Rabbit351w
Dec. 20, 2010, 03:06 PM
I prefer a narrower washstall to prevent too much dancing around. I find 9 or 10ft wide is generally sufficient, so long as we're not talking drafties. Still gives enough space to work around, without giving horsie too much room to wiggle and avoid having his hoof soaked, cut cleaned, etc.

As for the tack room, the bigger the better.

Sparky Boy
Dec. 20, 2010, 03:15 PM
Ours is 11 deep by 10 wide. Works just fine. Recessed the water spigot and a recessed shelf for supplies on one side wall.

Pennywell Bay
Dec. 20, 2010, 03:20 PM
My wash bays are 12 x 14. The best set up I saw was at my trainers old farm. it was a standard 12 x 12 or 12 x 10, concrete floor but it had a semi partition splitting it by like 9 x 3 or 8 x 4. The horse would cross tie, it was where the drain was separate from the horse, all of your wash supplies could be on the far side and we could bail if a baby got nuts!

I know I am descibing it horribly but it was great.

ACP
Dec. 20, 2010, 03:38 PM
If you make your tackroom big, remember that old adage: "The amount of items to be stored will expand until they crowd the space available in which to store them." LOL!

I would probably have another set of four 12 x 12 spaces; [1] shavings, muck bucket/wheelbarrow, tool storage; [2] hay and grain, with extra hay storage elsewhere; [3] tack; and [4] wash rack, with the barrier that was suggested in the previous post. It is always nice to have good shelf space to store things, and a nice deep sink with a tackbell to clean stuff is nice too. And mats. Hot water.

jazzrider
Dec. 20, 2010, 03:54 PM
Our wash stall is 12 x 14 and it could have been 12 x 10 -- it would be nice for it to be a bit narrower to stop the horses from turning sideways. That said, it is nice for storage of drying blankets, fly masks, buckets and our water tank. Our tack room is 12 x 16 and I wouldn't want it to be any smaller. Feed room is 12 x 14 -- I could have made due with 12 x 12 but it is nice to have all the grain stored in there and a sink, water heater, counter, bins for grain...

shakeytails
Dec. 20, 2010, 05:34 PM
My wash rack is 9' wide. I "stole" the other 3 feet for my tack room. 9 feet is plenty as long as I keep the junk out of the way- enough room to work without too much room for the horses to move around.

crosscreeksh
Dec. 20, 2010, 08:21 PM
Our wash stall is 10x12 with an 8x12 utility area adjacent (sink, HW heater, shelves, storage) feed room is 12x14 (didn't need to be that big), tack room is 12x24 (you can never have a tack room too large), hay storage is 12x24. Bulk sawdust is outside of the barn through a side door.All this is for a 12 stall stable. I prefer to use an outdoor wash area - adjacent to the indoor wash stall.

ThirdCharm
Dec. 20, 2010, 09:58 PM
Our wash stall is 12x12, I shoe in it and like to have room to maneuver, walk horses in and turn them around, etc. I hate narrow wash stalls in general anyway....

Our tack room is 12x12, contains two vertical pantries with a shelf for each rider's gear and a 8' long countertop on one wall, eighteen saddle racks (Tack In The Box sells a great six-saddle slideout rack) on the back wall, and bridle racks on the front wall (with the door). Saddle pad rack (from Smith Bros), whip rack and girths hung on the fourth wall.

Jennifer

jonaprag23
Dec. 23, 2010, 08:54 PM
We recently built a 36x36 barn. The wash stall is 12x12. It's great for turning around big horses, and plenty of room to hang things up on the walls without worrying about horses bumping themselves. We also have 12' ceilings and 2 windows in it--so that we have plenty of light for grooming!

LauraKY
Dec. 24, 2010, 12:14 PM
My wash stall and tack room are both 12 x 12. Not my choice, and it's a double box barn, so I won't be making any changes. I would prefer a narrower wash stall and wider tack room. I would kill for a tack cleaning bench in the middle of the tack room, the ones where you can turn the saddle upside down for cleaning. My daughter's school had them...wonderful.

inca
Dec. 24, 2010, 06:35 PM
My wash stall is 10 feet wide. It works just fine, even for my almost 17hh, 1,400 pound mare. It is too deep (18') so it has a swing bar that divides it so it's 12' deep with a 6' area that has a sink and storage cabinet.

My tack room also doubles as my feed room and is 8'x14'. I was worried it would be too small, but it is not. I am the only one at my barn, though. If I had a boarder it would probably be too small. I have 6 saddle racks, 2 long bridle racks, a set of 3 blanket bars I use to hang saddle pads to dry, a storage cabinet and 2 sets of movable shelving. It really works out just fine.

RLF
Dec. 24, 2010, 10:08 PM
Not sure if you plan on having a door on the same side that you're putting the wash stall in...but...
My favorite wash stall ever was a walk thru. In this case it actually doubled as a section of the isle to another area of the barn...but the thing I liked about it was that I never had a problem with horses going into it or standing in it. When they were put on the cross ties it was no different from being cross tied in any other area of the barn and I had VERY good experiences with that wash stall! My thinking is if it had a door it may give the same open affect that the horses seemed to like.

TrotTrotPumpkn
Dec. 29, 2010, 03:38 PM
My BO's new wash stall is 11 wide by at least 12+ deep. Water faucets, etc. are set into the wall (don't stick out). We all agreed last night that the 11 wide is too wide. Smaller 15-16 hand horses can turn in the stall in cross ties.

Our largest horse, currently, at the barn wears and 82" blanket, just to give you an idea. Now if we had monster-sized ponies ;) we may feel differently, but I personally think I could even turn a draft around in that thing easily.

I range in horses from big warmbloods and stock horses (so some of all sizes), and if I build one I've decided 10'wide is about perfect.

ASB Stars
Dec. 29, 2010, 03:51 PM
The essential thing I realized, when I built mine, was that you need to be sure that the door/opening is NOT centered. When you crosstie horses, and the door is off center, they cannot try to walk out- which they will try with a centered opening. My wash stall is 10 by 10- and I loff it!

mvp
Dec. 29, 2010, 05:11 PM
My wash bays are 12 x 14. The best set up I saw was at my trainers old farm. it was a standard 12 x 12 or 12 x 10, concrete floor but it had a semi partition splitting it by like 9 x 3 or 8 x 4. The horse would cross tie, it was where the drain was separate from the horse, all of your wash supplies could be on the far side and we could bail if a baby got nuts!

I know I am descibing it horribly but it was great.

I have seen these in a modular barn. The "divided" grooming stall is pretty nice. But it's not great as a wash stall, as the "other side" will get accidentally sprayed.

Having it 12' deep, the ties (and drain) set well back will keep your barn aisle dry. I'd prefer a 9' wide one myself. The horse can back in, as far as I'm concerned. They can all learn to do this.

No one has mentioned height. I once worked in a barn whose wash rack had a rather low ceiling-- 8' or 9' feet? You can't *imagine* how useful that was for the always PITA tasks like washing faces and clipping ears. There's nothing like a celling up there that a horse knows about to keep him from getting Monster Tall just when you want him to put his head down.

ASB Stars
Dec. 29, 2010, 10:01 PM
Regarding the low ceiling- mine is just right for horses not being able to get away from me. I built it out of 5/4 oak, and I couldn't lift my arms for two weeks afterward-- but it was worth it! :yes:

Bluey
Dec. 29, 2010, 10:17 PM
One local private cutting training barn has, what would be the last three 12'x12' stalls, as tackroom and a big grooming/washroom on the end by the door.
That has the metal pipe stocks in the middle, facing the aisle, but not quite up to it.
You can walk a horse into them from the aisle, or walk a horse on the side and walk it into the stocks from the back too.
You can also just tie a horse on either side, to the stocks or cross tie between the stocks and walls, one on each side.
You can groom, wash, tack up, do farrier work or treat a horse any way you want to set it up in there and even have two horses there at once, cross tied on each side of the stocks.

Being by the door it gets much natural light in there and cross ventilation in the summer.

TrotTrotPumpkn
Dec. 29, 2010, 10:19 PM
One more thought. My Bo's wash stall drains out into the isle (sloped concret floor). The isle is off of a giant garage door and the thinking was that you can bring in trailers, a full size farm tractor, etc. and wash them in the center. Then opposite is two tie stalls, the tack room, etc. (wash rack has an outside wall and then is next to the bathroom, which is followed by an isle and then a kitchen counter type area with viewing into the indoor). There are no horse stalls in the building, it is attached to the indoor.

I'm describing all this...badly... to mention how much I LIKE the drainage this way. The drain is the type you see at a car wash--narrow and long. Has heavy duty plastic slotted top (strong enough to drive on) and it seems so much nicer than those little metal round drains. Also mud and hair usually stop flowing before they get to the drain so no clogs.

I really like this.

Oh, I also now really like tacking up in a heated, insulated area too! ;)

SDHorses
Dec. 29, 2010, 10:46 PM
We rebuilt our barn when the old ones burned down in the San Diego fires of 2007. My wash rack is 12 deep and 20 feet wide, but has a half wall dividing the two areas. The half wall is about 6 inches wide and easily holds shampoo, etc. so it isn't under foot. I have concrete floors with interlocking rubber matts on top. Each area has a drain in the center. If I could do it again, I would slope the area towards the back and put in a long drain across the back wall of the wash rack. The back wall of the wash rack has two large windows with grills; on the outside are sliding shutters that can be either opened for the summertime or closed up for winter grooming. I have hot and cold running water (love it) and large 5 inch metal pipes sunk into the concrete for the cross ties. I would prefer the stalls to be wider than 10 feet as my horses are so big, there is not much room if I want to stand next to them. This arrangemt works well for washing a mare with foal at her side as they can easily see each other over the 4 foot high wall. The barn isleway which is connected to the wash rack is concrete with interlocking rubber brick pavers on top - great footing and safe in the event that one of the horses were to get loose - no chance of them falling nd injuring themselves.

My new tack room is 12 x 24 and is the perfect size. It is all carpeted and has tongue and groove wood walls and beamed ceiling. I have front load washer and dryer and the hot water heater in this room, along with several wood cabinets where I store all my stuff.

My feed room is 12 x 12 with deep sink, 12 foot long counter, and I store the grain bins underneath the counter. I have a separate 12 x 12 hay room where I store a weeks worth of hay for 10 horses. I have another 12 x 12 room where I store the bagged shavings.

I have a 12 x 12 bathroom with shower, sink, toilet, etc. - love it!

I love having everything under cover and handy!

mvp
Dec. 30, 2010, 07:10 AM
Yes, to a big drain (pipe) with grate that's strong and easy to lift out. It also helps to have a deeper "moat" around the pipe in there. Finally, I wouldn't put the drain at the very back, near the crapping end of the horse.

Why? Because the biggest long-term problem is keeping debris out of the drain. In public barns, you will invariably have people not taking the time to clean these out. In places where people are more careful, drains still can fill up over time.

If you put the drain in the middle, rather than the back, you have a better chance of the manure being separate from all the water flowing into the drain.

JMO as someone who, it seems, always gets to the wash rack when the drain needs to be cleaned out.