PDA

View Full Version : Free shoulder?

Zugabe
Dec. 19, 2010, 09:30 PM
I've attached a short clip of my new mare in the trot. It's not the best clip, but I wanted to get some opinions about her trot- does she look fairly free in the shoulder? I welcome any critique or comments. Thanks. :)

(She is the big grey mare in the back)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFYErmHgosY&feature=player_embedded

LarkspurCO
Dec. 19, 2010, 11:23 PM
I think so, yes. Although she's a bit earth-bound, she is smooth and even in her rhythm, and she appears to reach under well. I like her trot.

How's the canter? What are your plans for her?

spirithorse
Dec. 19, 2010, 11:35 PM
Extremely open and forward trot.....superb. She is FREE in the shoulders.

Beentheredonethat
Dec. 20, 2010, 12:44 AM
Very unexpected for a draft. At least in the snow, she's really reaching forward, both front and hind end. You can compare her to the bay who's front legs sort of step down into the snow. The snow will force them to move a bit bigger, but, again, with the comparison, you can see she's better. Look at the separation between the pairs of legs--you want to see a big inverted V and separation between the two front legs and two hind legs in the trot. The mare really separates. Cute, cute.

Zugabe
Dec. 20, 2010, 02:50 PM
Ok, I'm quite pleased then, as she is indeed a registered Percheron - lighter, more modern build though.

My plans are dressage, trail riding, and maybe some low-level eventing. She's driven, but not had much under saddle time. She's young still, so we have time. :)

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Dec. 20, 2010, 06:40 PM
Very nice girl! I'd say she has good shoulder freedom. Not Totilas like, but who is ;). Of course I'm a sucker for grey mares :)

RLF
Dec. 20, 2010, 08:22 PM
Very cool horse! :cool: I really liked the way she stepped underneath from behind when she decided to "motor"!

Looks like a fun project! Good Luck!

EqTrainer
Dec. 20, 2010, 11:07 PM
I am not sure that is a free shoulder so much as a lot of knee action. Cute girl!

Petstorejunkie
Dec. 23, 2010, 09:45 AM
Silly question this time of year, but can you get a video without her trotting on snow?
snow, deep footing, or tallish grass will accentuate gaits beyond what they would naturally produce for you under saddle. that snow is basically acting like a big set of cavaletti