PDA

View Full Version : Tall Boots/Wide Calf?

victorian24
Dec. 19, 2010, 07:31 PM
I am looking for sugesstions where I can get, or have custom made tall boots to fit my shoe size, and my claf size.

I have extremely muscular calfs widest part measures with my socks and pants 17inch.

None of my tack stores carry boots that will fit.

Jump4victory
Dec. 19, 2010, 07:35 PM
Dover Saddlery has a new Fuller fillies section that has wider sizes in boots, if not you could get the boots you have (if you have any) stretched or have a zipper and/or elastic put in...Hope I helped

joiedevie99
Dec. 19, 2010, 07:40 PM
The Fuller fillies dress boots aren't bad. They seem to run a bit short, and a bit bit in the foot. I showed in them this year while working on losing weight. My trainer has complained that they aren't stiffened, but I wasn't willing to order customs before I was sure my legs weren't going to change.

victorian24
Dec. 19, 2010, 07:44 PM
I tried the fuller fillies ones, and they fit in the calf, howeve my ankle is very small, so they are to huge in the ankle, and the foor is to narrow. I do not have any boots at all, been riding in paddock boots and half chaps, they suggested I find somewhere to have them custom made.

elleng0728
Dec. 19, 2010, 08:03 PM
I am looking for sugesstions where I can get, or have custom made tall boots to fit my shoe size, and my claf size.

I have extremely muscular calfs widest part measures with my socks and pants 17inch.

None of my tack stores carry boots that will fit.

Try the mountain horse tall boots. Affordable, fit wide calfs and I love them.

Unprovoked92
Dec. 19, 2010, 08:21 PM
I second the mountain horse. The Richmond High Riders offer the widest calf on their line.

GimmeQs
Dec. 19, 2010, 10:02 PM
I had to go semi-custom. I got Rectiligne Hannovre boots (what were surprisingly Dover's boot before they switched to Der Dau (sp?)). I wanted a really stiff outer shank and a friend has the old Dover version.
They were around $850 including shipping (from France). To make them semi custom was only $63 more.

jn4jenny
Dec. 19, 2010, 10:15 PM
Ditto the Mountain Horse Richmond High Riders. Several COTHers with 17.5" calves reported success with those.

Some people have also reported success with calling Dressage Extensions and asking about the Petrie boots. Even though their web site does not list 17" calf sizes, some of the cheaper Petrie boots ($200-$500) come in 17" calf sizes. www.dressageextensions.com

There is also an intriguing boot on the European market, the Sergio Grasso Napoli, that retails around $475 US and comes in wide calf sizes in the bigger foot sizes: http://www.dogwoodlondon.co.uk/shop/riding-boots/long-riding-boots/sergio-grasso-napoli.html

And finally, if you must go fully custom, the Vogel Young Rider boots are a price-friendly option at $680. You don't have to be a Young Rider to buy them, and COTHers who have bought them say that they are much nicer than the description makes them sound: http://www.vogelboots.com/product_detail.asp?prod_idno=1226&page_idno=10&category_idno=4

KrazyTBMare
Dec. 19, 2010, 10:33 PM
Love my Mountain Horse Sportives! My calf is 17.5 so I feel your pain. The Fuller Fillies are nice but AFAIK are still back ordered. I have a brouchure from a company at WEG that does fully custom boots with zippers for like $500... let me see if I can find out their name. They had their boots there and they were REALLY REALLY nice.

Beentheredonethat
Dec. 19, 2010, 11:02 PM
I have the same size calf and super wide feet, too, and as everyone else says, Mountain Horse are great and super comfortable. They were thebonly ones tat fit me for a long time. (My dog ATE my custom Dehners!) I've been having trouble with their never ending broken zippers and found Ovation front zip boots actually fit me. I ended up buying another pair on sale just because I'm so happy to find something that fits, looks good, and the zipper doesn't break!

Mary in Area 1
Dec. 19, 2010, 11:24 PM
Try the Dublin Aristocrat(?) dress boots. I have wide calves and I sent the wides back and had to order the regular width! They are also tall enough for me and I'm 5'8". I just wish the zipper was on the inside and not at the back.

Bogey2
Dec. 20, 2010, 06:26 AM
go with a semi-custon but make sure you find a person who knows how to actually measure for you. I will warn you, semi and custom take a while to be shipped depending on the time of yeat. I wear custom (with zipper) vogels because I have a small ankle. One they have your measurements you can just call them direct when you need a new pair.

citydog
Dec. 20, 2010, 07:17 AM
go with a semi-custon but make sure you find a person who knows how to actually measure for you.

:yes::yes::yes: Call the boot company and ask who they recommend near you.

use'szoo
Dec. 20, 2010, 07:46 AM
PM sent.

netg
Dec. 20, 2010, 07:54 AM
go with a semi-custon but make sure you find a person who knows how to actually measure for you. I will warn you, semi and custon take a while to be shipped depending on the time of yeat. I wear custom (with zipper) vogels because I have a small ankle. One they have your measurements you can just call them direct when you need a new pair.

I have the vogels because between my small feet, high arches, muscular calves and small ankles and just below my knees (is there a name for that measurement) they were the only brand which even had a custom likely to fit me. They are saying 16 weeks lead time these days. My boots came in fitting perfectly, so I went to someone who measured well!

In this case Mountain Horses sound like they may work - My lower legs are about 2" too short and feet a size too small for them to work out well. (But their Ice Rider boot fits perfectly for cold weather!)

Classical DQ
Dec. 20, 2010, 08:22 AM
Do try Petrie. I have used www.equinesource.com for ordering my Petries. The price is competitive with Dover and they have fabulous customer service.

ise@ssl
Dec. 20, 2010, 09:12 AM
I've had this problem and always find it odd that the boot makers don't consider that people who ride alot do develope their calf muscles.

victorian24
Dec. 20, 2010, 09:18 AM
Love my Mountain Horse Sportives! My calf is 17.5 so I feel your pain. The Fuller Fillies are nice but AFAIK are still back ordered. I have a brouchure from a company at WEG that does fully custom boots with zippers for like $500... let me see if I can find out their name. They had their boots there and they were REALLY REALLY nice.

Great! I hope you can find it. I will be keeping a lookout for it.:yes:

victorian24
Dec. 20, 2010, 09:21 AM
I have the vogels because between my small feet, high arches, muscular calves and small ankles and just below my knees (is there a name for that measurement) they were the only brand which even had a custom likely to fit me. They are saying 16 weeks lead time these days. My boots came in fitting perfectly, so I went to someone who measured well!

In this case Mountain Horses sound like they may work - My lower legs are about 2" too short and feet a size too small for them to work out well. (But their Ice Rider boot fits perfectly for cold weather!)

I will be looking into the vogels.. The mountain horses brand was to tall at 19inc for 17inch calf size. I need a 17inch tall.

I am hoping I can go semi-custom, instead of full custom. But we are not showing yet, probably not till middle of 2011 so I am going to be going through all my options.

victorian24
Dec. 20, 2010, 09:22 AM
go with a semi-custon but make sure you find a person who knows how to actually measure for you. I will warn you, semi and custon take a while to be shipped depending on the time of yeat. I wear custom (with zipper) vogels because I have a small ankle. One they have your measurements you can just call them direct when you need a new pair.

I am liking the vogels more and more. :yes:

jn4jenny
Dec. 20, 2010, 09:48 AM
I will be looking into the vogels.. The mountain horses brand was to tall at 19inc for 17inch calf size. I need a 17inch tall.

It is not rocket science for a cobbler to cut a boot down to size. If you try on the Mountain Horse and it is otherwise a good fit, it is still going to be cheaper to have a cobbler lop off the top than to order semi-customs.

Valentina_32926
Dec. 20, 2010, 10:19 AM
I also have 17 inch calves - I purchased Petries from Dressage Extensions (DE) and they fit to a tee (they even have zippers up the back). They were NOT custom even though that size was NOT listed in the DE catalog.

The lady I spoke with at Dressage extensions was very nice to work with - I have the least expensive Petries which are nicely stiff enough to work well and not so stiff to give me permanent scars from trying to break them in. :lol:

victorian24
Dec. 20, 2010, 10:22 AM
I also have 17 inch calves - I purchased Petries from Dressage Extensions (DE) and they fit to a tee (they even have zippers up the back). They were NOT custom even though that size was NOT listed in the DE catalog.

The lady I spoke with at Dressage extensions was very nice to work with - I have the least expensive Petries which are nicely stiff enough to work well and not so stiff to give me permanent scars from trying to break them in. :lol:

I will be calling them today :yes:

to check out the boots and prices.

victorian24
Dec. 20, 2010, 10:24 AM
It is not rocket science for a cobbler to cut a boot down to size. If you try on the Mountain Horse and it is otherwise a good fit, it is still going to be cheaper to have a cobbler lop off the top than to order semi-customs.

I will have to look into that. Price is not really an issue. Just wanting a nice dress boot.

netg
Dec. 20, 2010, 11:19 AM

The problem I had with this was that the large dimension was where my leg was narrow below the knee, rather than at my calf. If Mountain Horses had been wide in the right spot this is likely the option I would have taken (or would take for an everyday boot.)

victorian24
Dec. 20, 2010, 11:45 AM
The problem I had with this was that the large dimension was where my leg was narrow below the knee, rather than at my calf. If Mountain Horses had been wide in the right spot this is likely the option I would have taken (or would take for an everyday boot.)

This was also an issue with me. Its been difficult, b/c when I tell people I have a large calf they assume that my entire lower leg is just as big (which is not the case) or the assume my foot size is big as well. (I am only a 8) I am only 5'3, just my calves are extremely muscular.

rprincess73
Dec. 20, 2010, 12:46 PM
I have a 20" calf, size 8.5 feet and a 15 inch tall leg...so really funky measurements.

I went with the La Mundial full custom boot. I was measured through The Riding Habit in Florida. La Mundial is a company in Ecuador...and their boots are full custom (leather, toe cap, over 20 different measurements done, heel, spur rests, zipper placement, etc.) for $580. You can check out their website at www.lamundial.com. Turn around time is roughly 12 weeks - give or take.

Alibhai's Alibar
Dec. 20, 2010, 12:54 PM
I have a 20" calf, size 8.5 feet and a 15 inch tall leg...so really funky measurements.

I went with the La Mundial full custom boot. I was measured through The Riding Habit in Florida. La Mundial is a company in Ecuador...and their boots are full custom (leather, toe cap, over 20 different measurements done, heel, spur rests, zipper placement, etc.) for $580. You can check out their website at www.lamundial.com. Turn around time is roughly 12 weeks - give or take.

Wow- they look very nice! How do you like the boots?

Bogey2
Dec. 20, 2010, 01:33 PM
I tried the Petrie semi custom route. Still too big in the ankle and I am a size 8 foot with a med. calf and long legs.

jn4jenny
Dec. 20, 2010, 01:38 PM
If price is truly no object, then go with whatever custom boot company has a local representative to measure you (and a good reputation for doing so). I'm sure that in Ocala you'll have a nice selection of companies. :)

KrazyTBMare
Dec. 20, 2010, 10:39 PM

Ah this is the company I was talking about that I saw at WEG - they seriously are really nice boots.

BTW - hi neighbor! I live across the river from GCS on SR13! Do you show with the NFDA?