PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Snickers

Tiki
Dec. 19, 2010, 07:01 PM
I lost Snickers on Friday. She crossed the bridge. A few days ago she had been playing with her toys, carrying her stuffed mice around and meowing about what a great mouser she was. She was great with the real mice too. All of a sudden, she wasn't sleeping on the bed with me, with either her paw or her head on my shoulder. She was secreted in one of the kitty beds and wouldn't come out to eat. I pulled her out of her bed and set her down by the food and water dishes and she staggered back to her bed. She would stagger out and take a few sips of water, but I couldn't even tempt her to lick a bit of gravy off my fingers. This all happened over a couple of days, very suddenly.

Took her to the vet on Friday and to my shock and dismay, she was extremely anemic - mucous membranes in her mouth were white instead of pink, she was slightly jaundiced, and her body temp was at least 8 degrees below normal. She was also down to 6 pounds. The vet said this had to have been going on for quite a while, very, very gradually getting to the point where all of a sudden she crashed and couldn't compensate for whatever was ailing her. I held her in my arms while the vet put her down. She was apparently near death anyway, but I couldn't let her go all be herself. I'm still in shock! She was playing with me and with her toys just a few short days ago. She was the sweetest little kitty and she loved the dogs. All she wanted to do was sit in my lap and purr - unless she saw a mouse. She practices all the time with her toys to keep her skills sharp, and now she's gone. R.I.P. Snickers. I just can't believe how quickly she was gone.

Guin
Dec. 19, 2010, 07:17 PM
I'm so sorry about your kitty. I love my dogs, but I don't think I could ever live without a cat. It sounds like Snickers had a wonderful life.

citydog
Dec. 19, 2010, 07:18 PM
Tiki, I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your kitty friend.

It's amazing how something can be going on for a while undetected and then catch up to them all of a sudden.

RIP, Snickers.

Guin
Dec. 19, 2010, 07:21 PM
Cats are so stoic. It is really hard to tell something bad is going on with them until they are really, really sick. I've had cats that all of a sudden end up with horrendous infected abcesses seemingly over night.

shea'smom
Dec. 19, 2010, 07:25 PM
So sorry about Snickers. I too love the kitties. I think they are hard to notice when things are wrong, maybe because they can be fairly inactive. Hard time to lose one, hugs.

Tiki
Dec. 19, 2010, 07:31 PM
Thank you all. She was a rescue kitty. She, her brother and a kitty friend came to me full of fleas and ear mites and were in terrible condition. I brought them back to health with shiny coats and great personalities. I still have the other 2 - they're all 14 this year, but this was such a shock!!! What really drove home just how sick she was was when the vet kept checking her thermometer and trying again because her temp was so low. I held her in my arms waiting for the vet on a walk-in with a warm sweater vest covering her up. She still knew me and relaxed completely in my arms while waiting. It may have been the first time in 2 days that she was really warm and she never, ever let me know she was sick until it was too late. At least she had a wonderful life and a peaceful death. Durned animals - cats and dogs are soooo stoic and never let you know they're sick until it's too late to help them. :confused:

ladybugred
Dec. 19, 2010, 10:20 PM
So sorry, the same thing happened with me, when I lost one to heart disease. Didn't show any symptoms until there was nothing left to do.

So very sorry, (((((hugs))))))

LBR

TBROCKS
Dec. 19, 2010, 10:24 PM
So sorry you lost your furball. Sounds like she had a wonderful, love-filled life right up to the end.

MunchkinsMom
Dec. 19, 2010, 10:55 PM
Sorry for you loss, I hope you take some small comfort in knowing you gave Snickers a wonderful life.

crosscreeksh
Dec. 19, 2010, 11:16 PM
So sorry for your loss. I lost one like that this past summer...ate breakfast fine...didn't want to eat her dinner. I started her on antibiotics immediately and she died that night. Nothing "seemed" to be wrong with her!! They are so fragile even when they act tough!!

Tiki
Dec. 20, 2010, 08:07 AM
I'm still in shock at how fast she went from playing with her toys to crossing the bridge. I actually started to call her yesterday. She did have a wonderful life, and I do take comfort in that, but gee............ It is truly amazing how quickly they can go downhill.:cry:

GrayCatFarm
Dec. 20, 2010, 08:18 AM
So sorry for your loss. Cats cover up their illnesses so well. The toughest part is learning to look closely for subtle changes in behavior. And when you see them day after day those subtle changes are very, very difficult to detect. Am so glad you were able to hold Snickers at the end.

And, somewhere, there is an abandoned kitten on its way to you. When they leave us, they also somehow let the cat world know that there is an empty lap that should be filled.... Just my experience.

ayrabz
Dec. 20, 2010, 09:43 AM
Tiki, I'm so sorry! I love the kitties in my life! And have been there, holding mine for that difficult moment, too.
I thought GrayCat's post was so dear.

Tiki
Dec. 20, 2010, 10:26 AM
And, somewhere, there is an abandoned kitten on its way to you. When they leave us, they also somehow let the cat world know that there is an empty lap that should be filled.... That's how I got these 3, Snickers, Humphrey and Peanut. As I said, Snicky was playing with her toys a couple of days before this happened. The vet said that even if I had taken her in a couple of weeks ago, or a month ago, when I noticed NOTHING amiss, there would have been nothing she could have done. She said it was probably a very, very slow blood or bone marrow cancer, that she was apparently not producing blood cells in her bone marrow, and all of a sudden she dropped below a sustainable level. She had insufficient red cells to carry oxygen and she was suddenly so weak that she was staggering and her body temp dropped. It was 94 (normal 100.5 - 102.5) and it was probably that high because I was holding her next to my body, wrapped in a double layer sweater.

Zu Zu
Dec. 20, 2010, 10:31 AM
So very sorry to read about your loss ~

RIP Snickers ~ knowing you will always be loved and remembered ~ :cry:

LauraKY
Dec. 20, 2010, 10:42 AM
I'm so sorry. Godspeed Snickers.

Somermist
Dec. 20, 2010, 10:59 AM
Our thoughts and prayers are with you. RIP Snickers.

mkevent
Dec. 20, 2010, 11:03 AM
I'm so sorry. I'm sitting here at my computer with tears streaming down my face and my kitty in my lap, purring away.
I think cats decide when and how they will cross the bridge. Heck, cats make up the rules for everything else in life, why would that be any different?

We lost one of our Siamese this past fall to liver failure. I think sometimes the vets want to give us all the available options but I'm not so sure that what our furry friends would choose.

I think Snickers made the choice and she was at peace with that choice. Maybe she wouldn't have wanted any heroic measures that we all think we should do for our animals.

Goodspeed Snickers.

(((((((hugs))))))) to you.

Tiki
Dec. 20, 2010, 11:31 AM
Thank you all, and I'm so sorry for all your losses as well. She was jet black with a little white strip on her chest and a thin stripe of white on her belly and she had gorgeous golden eyes. Unfortunately, I have no pics of her except in my mind and my heart. She did still know me at the end and yes, she went in peace.

kmw2707
Dec. 20, 2010, 11:49 AM
RIP Snickers.

And Charlie...I lost my cat of 8 years this morning. He wasn't feeling well yesterday, took him in this morning to the vet. Surgery would have been up to $900. :(

Tiki
Dec. 20, 2010, 01:12 PM
OH NO!!! R.I.P. Charlie. I'm so sorry for you. I just can't believe how they can be well one day, playing with their toys, or catching mice, and be gone the next.

2DogsFarm
Dec. 20, 2010, 03:29 PM
I think cats decide when and how they will cross the bridge. Heck, cats make up the rules for everything else in life, why would that be any different?

This^

You gave Snickers a good life and it sounds like she enjoyed it right up to the end.
Damn! It hurts when they leave us.
RIP Snickers.

JoZ
Dec. 20, 2010, 03:42 PM
So sorry for your loss. The kitties really work their way into my heart -- barn or indoor. I thought I might not feel the same way about the barn kitties but in a way they are even more a part of my life.

And, somewhere, there is an abandoned kitten on its way to you. When they leave us, they also somehow let the cat world know that there is an empty lap that should be filled.... Just my experience.

I have had the same experience. I have always said that the last thing a kitty does in this world is place the cosmic vacancy sign... :sadsmile:

Rockfish
Dec. 20, 2010, 04:09 PM
HUGS