PDA

View Full Version : Show Hair tips

TXnGA
Dec. 19, 2010, 01:26 PM
I was wondering if there were any tips to putting up hair under a helmet or even a top hat or hunt cap.

I have been having problems with my hair staying neat and tidy no matter how much hair spray and bobby pins and a hair net, still get the feeling that it could look so much neater.

I don't particularly like putting my hair under helmet, hunt cap or top hat. I prefer putting it in a bun at the nape of my head...

Thanks in advance!!!

Covergirl15
Dec. 19, 2010, 02:53 PM
Well in my area for shows many people put their hair in a bun with one of the show bow things, but coming from the hunter world I always tuck it all up in my helmet with a hairnet.

I have shoulder length THICK hair and so I pull my hairnet over it and then pull it all tight (I pull my over the tops of my ears) then I secure it all with a ponytail holder, stick my ponytail in the little loop at the end of the hairnet and then lean over to pull it all under my helmet.

Also, it will get easier the more you do it. I put my hair up every time I ride and now it only takes me about a minute to do it :)

jevousaime
Dec. 19, 2010, 06:40 PM
Hello,

You can put your hair up nicely using two hair nets bought at the local drug store, bobby pins, and a hair tie. It works better if someone does it for you, but with practice you can easily do it on yourself. Here are some instructions:

1. Tie your hair in a tight slicked back low pony tail where it will not inflict on the position of your hat. You can part your hair if you like -- it doesn't really matter. If you have a bit of the "tramp" look, that's basically the goal ;)
2. Tease your pony tail so it looks really fluffy and matted up. Use hair spray if needed.
3. Twist your pony tail really tight, but not in a bun yet.
4. In the direction you twisted your pony tail, simultaneously twist your hair into a bun slowly while securing your hair with one bobby pin at a time. DON'T twist the pony tail in a bun before you put in the bobby pins! This is normally the mistake people make! You need to place the bobby pins while you are putting it in a bun slowly.
5. Wrap one hair net around the bun alone and place a bobby pin where the end of the hair net is.
6. To prevent fly-aways, put another hair net on your entire hair. Use bobby pins while needed. This is optional.
7. Finish with a good layer of hair spray to prevent extra flyaways.
8. Do a "hair check" and shake your head and what not to make sure your bun is secure.

This generally doesn't work as well with helmets because of the straps, but it looks great under top hats.

Good luck!

mjhco
Dec. 19, 2010, 07:46 PM
IMHO 'show bows' were designed to be worn by the Chippendales and them alone.

alibi_18
Dec. 20, 2010, 08:34 AM
I do myself a french braid (on wet and well hair sprayed hair) tie with a string (same color or my hair) and bring it back up underneath and tie it like I would do with my horse's mane (for the hunter ring). A bit more spray net and voilĂ !
I don't like all the beaded bun covers, fluffy bows and sparkling nets.

UniqueSaddlePads
Dec. 20, 2010, 09:18 AM
I also have VERY thick hair that REFUSES to stay up at shows. I tried the french braid thing, but then my helmet dosen't fit. So I have to do a low pony tail with gel or hairspray to bun, hair net over the head and bun and then as many bobby pins as I can fit. Then I do another hairnet over that and bobby pin that as well. Then we use the show bow to over all the metal in the back of my head to at least try and cover it up.

asb_own_me
Dec. 20, 2010, 09:40 AM
Have a Saddlebred person teach you how to do your bun :D It will look model perfect and stay through anything. If I lived near you I'd be happy to help!

UniqueSaddlePads
Dec. 20, 2010, 09:46 AM
Have a Saddlebred person teach you how to do your bun :D It will look model perfect and stay through anything. If I lived near you I'd be happy to help!

Thanks for the tip, now I'll have to bug the girl that's next to me, she's got two ASBs. I'm starting to wonder is there anything that ASB ppl don't know how to do? :D

winfieldfarm
Dec. 20, 2010, 09:47 AM
I second the Saddleseat bun perfection!! I have very fine hair and I find it best to get my 'do on when my hair is wet, not dry. I can do either a spun bun or a fold under bun. depends on what I am wearing on my head.

leilatigress
Dec. 20, 2010, 09:51 AM
I echo the Saddle seat folk which is how I learned how to control the child's hair. She has very fine hair and lots of it so I get tons of wisps. We french braid hers and put panty hose over it then tuck under into a bun and voila. (I like the show bows on the kids). Hair nets have a few too many holes for her hair to wisp through but the hose (knee highs work great) keep everything in and you cant tell. She's obviously in a helmet and I do not know if that idea would work with a top hat.

mjhco
Dec. 20, 2010, 01:46 PM

THIS! Or those who show Arabians and/or Morgans in saddleseat. Great looking hair.

SBrentnall
Dec. 20, 2010, 09:05 PM
I do a single braid, then double it (and sometimes double again, depending on length). I secure with an elastic, then wrap a velvet scrunchy around the whole thing. It ends up looking like a horse braid, and fits well at the nape of my neck below my helmet.

bort84
Dec. 21, 2010, 12:50 PM
Haha, I'm a former saddle seat person and was generally on bun duty when I had time aside from getting all the horses ready (was also a trainer's kid) - I made some gorgeous buns, if I do say so myself - and I still have the knack for it.

I think a smallish saddle seat style bun looks great for those who don't wear helmets - fab with derbies or top hats. They are a bit tough for helmets though, because right where you'd want a bun to sit is right where the harness at the back of the helmet is so they're either too low and droopy or they get all squished.

If you wear a helmet, I think it's best to make it look like your hair's not there as much as possible (I too hate show bows - from my conservative saddle seat days I guess). If you don't want to put it up under your helmet (my preference for my hair, which is bra strap length and thick), I think the tiniest bun you can manage is probably best, think ballet style (slicked back and unobtrusive) - as others on here have described.

What I do is put my hair in a low pony tail, then I flip it on top of my head. Then I use big triangle shaped clips (the ones you bend towards your head to secure) to secure the hair to my head - sort of fanned out a bit so there's not much bulk under the helmet. Then I put on a hair net and add some more clips/bobby pins to keep it in place. Then you can hairspray/gel down the fly aways - though it's also good to do this when you first do the ponytail as well. The little bump where my pony tail flips up is perfectly secured under the harness at the back of my helmet. At a bigger show, I would make sure to at least have a good mirror (instead of the truck window/side mirror, haha) and maybe an extra hand to get an extra polished look.

Sloppy hair can mar an otherwise polished look, so it's worth it to practice a bit and see what works best for you.

dudders
Dec. 23, 2010, 09:58 AM
I start with four ponytail holders (the "sport" ones with a rubber tread are a godsend), a heavy-duty hairnet, and a big handful of bobby pins (I have lots of very silky, fine hair so the tight, short kind with texture on the inside work the best for me, along with a few of the big pins).

First step is separating out about an inch of hair on each side from my forehead to temple and braiding it. This controls any wisps, fly-aways, or layers that might otherwise get unruly. Do one on each side. (There are your first two ponytail holders.)

Pull those braids back and gather them and the rest of your hair in a low ponytail at the base of your neck. Use ponytail holder #3 to contain it all. Pull the holders off the ends of the braids.

Now take that big ponytail and braid it. Use ponytail holder #4 at the end of this. Spin this braid around flat against your head in a bun. Tuck the end underneath. Add a couple of the big pins for security.

Hair net over top, then fortify with more pins. The net helps to hold it steady. You can also add a small pin on each side at the front of the net, using the braids to anchor it so it doesn't slide.

This has worked for me for years, with hair ranging from not-quite-shoulder-length to well past my shoulder blades, in helmets, derbies, and top hats.

The only tip is to make the braids fairly small and run them just under the line of your helmet or top hat--otherwise they can squeeze your head a bit. This also won't affect the fit of your helmet the way tucking it up inside can.

*Trinity*
Dec. 23, 2010, 10:42 AM
Most of these suggestions are great and would have worked for me BEFORE I chopped my hair off. I have thicker than average (not too crazy), layered hair. At the longest, it reaches to my shoulders, shortest to my chin. I can barely get it into a pony tail at the base of my neck and have to pin the top layer so it doesn't fall out. What do I do with it when I wear my hot hat?!

leilatigress
Dec. 23, 2010, 11:17 AM
Most of these suggestions are great and would have worked for me BEFORE I chopped my hair off. I have thicker than average (not too crazy), layered hair. At the longest, it reaches to my shoulders, shortest to my chin. I can barely get it into a pony tail at the base of my neck and have to pin the top layer so it doesn't fall out. What do I do with it when I wear my hot hat?!

I would french yours and maybe braid the sides separate. Spin and pin, kill the ozone a bit with Aqua spray net and done. That is what I have to do for my very unruly and different lengthened curly hair and I've never had any issues. I have also pulled it into a half pony tail and then braided down from there. (I am just not skilled enough to french my own.)

Gestalt
Dec. 23, 2010, 11:25 AM
IMHO 'show bows' were designed to be worn by the Chippendales and them alone.

I used to agree with you! But I live where it's very hot in the summer and it seems that the older I get, the less heat tolerant I am. So I have gone to the dark side and use a show bow. The only good thing about it is that it's at the back of my head and I can't see it. :lol:

Renae
Dec. 23, 2010, 08:23 PM

Put the short layers that won't stay in a pony tail at the nape of your neck into a pony tail on top of your head like a top knot on a dog :P This will be hidden under your hat. Make a neat bun witht he hair that is long enough.

*Trinity*
Dec. 24, 2010, 01:41 AM
Put the short layers that won't stay in a pony tail at the nape of your neck into a pony tail on top of your head like a top knot on a dog :P This will be hidden under your hat. Make a neat bun witht he hair that is long enough.

I don't have enough hair to make a bun! It's barely a nubbin at the base of my neck - even then, it's mostly elastic. I wonder if I could do a part down the middle, french braided each side, then folded the ends across and pinned them neatly. My hair isn't long enough to gather into a pony tail and my helmets/top hat fit me well - there's no way I'll get a pony tail UNDER them (ie. ontop of my head).

Renae
Dec. 24, 2010, 04:36 PM
If you have enough hair to make a nubbin ponytail get a fake bun. Sally Beauty usually sells them as the dance line girls use them a lot.

katie+tru
Dec. 24, 2010, 10:50 PM
I discovered a product called Spin Pins, made by the Goody brand. There are like giant bobby pins but are double spiraled. They hold so much more and are very secure. One can do the work of a couple regular bobby pins. This past year, I tried doing a braid down the back and then flipping it under and securing it with the Spin Pins. I then put one hairnet over the braid and secured it to my head to keep it all neat.

Spin Pins. (http://www.walgreens.com/search/results.jsp?Ntt=spin+pins)