PDA

View Full Version : Sawdust Storage

TrakGeorge
Dec. 19, 2010, 09:51 AM
So the recent barn ideas got me thinking - where does everyone store thier sawdust/shavings/bedding. Every barn I've been to has a preference.

Some like a seperate building, others like them attached. Some just put it in a corner of the arena and others in a spare stall.

So where do you store yours?

ShotenStar
Dec. 19, 2010, 10:19 AM
We have the "Sawdust Cathedral" ... a separate three-sided structure with a removable tarp roof. It is within 25 feet of the barn and positioned so the delivery truck has easy access. Getting the tarp off for a delivery is a major pain / all day project, but we only have to do it once every 13-14 months, so it is manageable.

*star*

shawneeAcres
Dec. 19, 2010, 10:30 AM
This is why I buy bagged pelleted bedding!

Smiles
Dec. 19, 2010, 10:31 AM
We do bagged shavings and we have open bays along the area wall that we store them in. I know bulk shavings are cheaper but it became way to big of a hassle to store them without waste.

Pennywell Bay
Dec. 19, 2010, 11:51 AM
I buy pelleted since mine are out most of the time ( as they prefer). When I got sawdust, I kept it in my garage attached to the barn, much to the chagrin of my S.O. Now if I get it ( I pick it up myself) I just leave it covered in my sawdust trailer.

dawglover
Dec. 19, 2010, 01:37 PM
I've got a 16 x 24 x 4 wooden bin right beside the barn that I get bulk shavings dumped into. It's covered with a heavy canvas tarp. Bungee cords from the grommets on the tarp to screw eyes on the outside of the bin keeps the wind from blowing everything away.
Most of the time it's easy enough to deal with but this week we've had snow twice, and below freezing temps which froze the snow to the tarp.
That rendered it impossible for me to remove the tarp by myself.
I did put extra shavings in the stalls before the weather set in so all but a couple of the stalls (the slobs) are still good. I just peeked out there and the sun is melting things nicely so I think I'll sweet talk DH into helping me get some more shavings loaded into the stalls.
I have an emergency stash of about 20 bags of shavings but I try not to use them unless I'm almost down to bare rubber mat.

tasia
Dec. 19, 2010, 11:31 PM
We have a three sided bin, covered with a tarp. They still get wet with enough rain. I don't mind if they are damp, by the time they are mixed in the stall it's barely damp and keeps dust down. I do try to bed everyone before a known storm, also when horses are turned out, so they do get a chance to dry.

I wouldn't store a load of sawdust in a barn due to the fire hazard.

JohnDeere
Dec. 20, 2010, 09:40 AM
Barn 2 (small) stores it in the aisleway and beds the stalls from there. Find if you dont need to ride in the aisleway.

Barn 1 (big) stores it in a 3 sided building. Roof doesnt come off so they move it from trailer with the tracktor. If they find enuff they will store it in the indoor. Winter is hard to get shavings/sawdust.

ReSomething
Dec. 20, 2010, 10:08 AM
We have a guy come in with a semi that has a "walking floor" and we build Mt Sawdust in the center of the indoor. ASB barn so really all we do is ride the rail all the time. If we make a tight turn out of the corner we can use the diagonals on each end of the heap, which only lasts about 90 days at best.

camohn
Dec. 26, 2010, 09:03 AM
I imagine a lot of responses will vary according to what folks have handy to them. We have a 3 sided shelter that was the tractor storage for the previous owner of this farm. We buy bulk shavings. The local mill has 2 sizes of delivery dump trucks....a small one and a big one. The small one the ceiling is *JUST* tall enough that they can raise the dumper and dump the load directly under the shelter. In the winter a small truckload lasts one month here/much longer in better weather when they are out most of the time. The big dumptruck does not fit in there. If the big dumper comes they have to dump it on the driveway and we need to use the bucket on the tractor to move them back into the shelter. On one hand we have to buy less often that way but it is an added hassle. If it is snowy/rainy/windy that doesn't work as well either. Delivery day from the mill is Thursdays. We have day jobs so usually if the big truck comes unless it is a dry and sunny day having to sit out til we get home isn't good. Thus...usually we get the small loads where they can just get the truck under the shelter. I chuckled at the tarp roof idea...not because of us, but our neighbors a few houses down. They have some ponies. They wanted to build a barn for them. They have PIA neighbors opposed to the ponies so when they went for a zoning variance for the barn the neighbors put up a fuss and opposed it. (Really it's the ponies they are opposed to and figured no barn/no ponies).Well the zoning here says you need a variance for a roofed building. So.....the neigbor put up a roofless barn. With a tarp over it. I did get a chuckle about how they outwitted the PIA neighbor......