PDA

View Full Version : barn cat contact?

Meredith Clark
Dec. 18, 2010, 03:28 PM
I am in serious need of a barn cat. The mice are getting so brave the walk by me and say "what are YOU looking at".

I had a contact for a cat rescue in Maryland that took cats and kittens from the racetrack and found them new homes but I lost it. Does anyone know the information.

Inese
Dec. 18, 2010, 03:50 PM
Maybe try a local TNR program?

Feral-Fix for Caretakers of Feral CatsFeral cat caretakers who qualify for Feral-Fix are participating in a Trap, Neuter, Return program and caring for a colony larger than five individual cats, providing food and fresh water to their colony daily and are dedicated to ensuring all colony cats are spayed or neutered. In addition to spay/neuter surgery, caretakers can obtain wellness care for their cats through Feral-Fix.

The Maryland SPCA has a twice monthly low-cost TNR event. For more information about these events, please email feralhelp@mdspca.org or call Judy on our spay/neuter line at 410-235-8826, ext. 140.

saje
Dec. 18, 2010, 04:07 PM
Try here, lots of good kitties needing homes, barn homes too!

http://chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226196

Erin
Dec. 18, 2010, 04:17 PM
I have tons! Kitties rescued from the streets of Baltimore that are not highly adoptable... see the Giveaways forum, and I'll send you a PM as well. :)

fxhillfarm
Dec. 18, 2010, 04:49 PM
Have to say that we LOVE the kitty we got off the giveaways section on here! She's the best mouser we've ever had.. brought a rat home last week :)

Erin had held her for us for a night and made bringing Kitler (named in part to her Hitler-like "mustache") home very easy!

The cats off the streets will likely take a long time to warm up to you (ours was at least 6 months) but when they come around they are the sweetest things ever!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=15785622&l=9075fe9d5a&id=743620005

Also, there's a place in Monkton, MD that is a kill-shelter.. they are not picky like the SPCA about the cats going to outside (barn) homes.. give them a call and see what they have!

MistyBlue
Dec. 18, 2010, 05:12 PM
Very handsome barn kitty fxhill!

LexInVA
Dec. 18, 2010, 06:46 PM
The Howard County Cat Club (http://www.adoptapet.com/pet2191115.html) should have some new four-footed friends for you to get acquainted with.

mkevent
Dec. 19, 2010, 08:02 AM
kitler-what a great name!

Susan P
Dec. 19, 2010, 09:07 AM
www.forgottencats.org (http://www.forgottencats.org)

email info@forgottencats.org or me at TruckParts19311@aol.com and someone will bring out barn cats to you and set them up in a crate, preferably your crate so we don't have to retrieve it later but we do loan the crates out. Forgotten Cats has spayed or neutered over 40,000 in the past 6 years since they started and is growing rapidly. They just opened a new clinic and they own this property. This means the growth will increase at a higher rate than ever.

Rescues do use the facility and travel as far as 2 hours from NJ and parts of PA, MD, and all of DE. Our mission is to spay and neuter but we also help with trapping. Somehow we end up with a lot of cats that need homes. We just opened a new adoption center at a Philly Pet Smart store and I think that makes 4-5 stores between DE and PA. But there are a lot of cats through no fault of their own that never get a foster home and end up in need of barn homes. Some are not suitable for homes as they may be not litter trained, not charming (being nice about this) maybe still feral. But we've sent many really friendly cats to barn homes. I have a nice mamma cat in my bathroom now who is friendly but has not litter box manners. She will go on the floor in the bathroom. She came from Elk Creek Ranch and I have her babies who may also need barn homes if they don't tame up enough. That would be 2 barn kittens, and I hate to give up kittens for barn homes but one little kitten does not like to be held and really freaks out when you hold her. That's not going to work out at the adoption centers. So as cute as she is and even loves attention and to play, she may not fit into the standards for the adoption center. You have to be able to hold them.

fivehorses
Dec. 19, 2010, 09:32 AM
Meredith, for what its worth, I'd get two. they can keep each other company, and they can hunt together.

SusanP has done an awful lot of work on the cat rescuing from Elk Creek, and I hope you consider those cats.

QH_Gal
Dec. 19, 2010, 05:22 PM
I am going to second Susan P. and her very wonderful contribution to the cat health by having them neutered, spayed, and she works diligently to find each one a good home!

cloudyandcallie
Dec. 19, 2010, 05:41 PM
Yes get at least 2 kitties as they will stay together.

SusanP's current cats and kittens come from a well known horse farm.
You can get full grown cats and little kittens.

And she has a female orange tabby which is very rare. I think less than 10% of orange tabbies are female And an adult grey that looks like a Russian Blue.

Zu Zu
Dec. 19, 2010, 05:53 PM
SusanP's cats for ME !!! :D

Blue ribbon mousers ~~~~ :yes:

Beautiful cats ~~~~~~~~ :cool:

Smart cats ~~~~~~~~~~~ :D:yes::cool:

EVERYTYHING YOU NEED IN ONE CAT ````` BUT GET TWO ``` THEY NEED
A BUDDY FOR "MOUSING" :D:yes::cool::)

Everythingbutwings
Dec. 20, 2010, 11:36 AM
There's another one going on "ignore". My eyes may not recover. :cool:

Erin fixed us up with our barn kitty from Charm City, appropriately named Charm!

He is a mouser extraordinaire. :)

Zu Zu
Dec. 21, 2010, 10:51 AM
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL NEW CAT OWNERS & THEIR NEW "mousers" !

QH_Gal
Dec. 21, 2010, 03:15 PM

Erin fixed us up with our barn kitty from Charm City, appropriately named Charm!

Hope your teasing, as ZuZu is one of the nicest woman on this board, always so easy going and laid back. Say it isn't so!! There really is no reason she should be put on ignore...a pity..:no:

mysaygrace
Dec. 21, 2010, 03:40 PM
I have 4 ferals from www.baltimorecats.org & these guys are great mousers & ratters!!! This rescue was wonderful to work with too. I also have two other feral cats from a rescue near Green Lane, PA but was not as happy with the woman from there. I LOVE :) my ferals, yes they are a bit timid around you at first but once they warm up to you it's such an incredible experience!

Below is an email update I sent the rescue just yesterday about our feral cat colony:

It's been a little while & I thought I'd give you an update on how everyone is doing. Well, I truly can't tell you how much having this small colony of ferals has enriched our lives. After work they come & greet me at my car like clockwork, I can pet two of them and the one I can even now pick up. The one boy kitty we named Billie is my faithful farm hand, every day & night he's trotting along at my heels "helping" me with the farm chores, feedings & keeping an eye on things. I can't imagine not having Billie with me now that he's apart of our life. My husband is away a lot lately with classes, tutoring & hunting so I'm often at the farm alone, but I'm never truly alone, thanks to the ferals. Nyrobi lets me pet her and often greets me by rubbing gently around my legs, she still continues to be the matriarch of the colony & has the sweetest purr. Billie's brother, Blaze has grown into a handsome cat, his fur is so glossy, I long to be able to pet him, he's coming around, he will now allow me to put the food in his dish without running away & sometimes he will even bat at my hand if he's really hungry. Blaze also has a beautiful meow, he sings to me each day when he's ready to eat. The funniest thing is Billie & Blaze coming to our back sliding glass down and peering in at us & tormenting our indoor cats & dogs. Roger is doing well too, I have found he LOVES chicken!! He will even take it off a fork from me and he allowed me to stroke his soft long white fur the other night, what a special moment. He enjoys sunning himself on a stack of wood we have by the hay shed that has metal on it, he's one smart cat to figure out the metal reflects the sun up onto his coat! The other two cats that came from the other rescue are doing well also. Perkiee has become Nyrobi's boyfriend, I often catch them grooming each other or sitting together peacefully. Flower still will not come back to the hay shed, she's scared of Nyrobi. Apparently Nyrobi likes being the only girl kitty so she scares Flower away. Thankfully Flower took up residence in our run in shed in the lower field. We have since provided her with an igloo full of stray and she has access to warm water too. She seems to approve of this setup because this is where she now prefers to be fed and she hangs out here. For Christmas I got all the kitties cat beds, I had made the rubbermaid tub shelters for them, but have yet to see anyone use one. But low and behold when I took a cat bed out of our house to see if they'd like it they all began fighting over who got to crawl in it for the night. I felt so bad with the nights getting so cold so I got the other ones their own bed, now everyone is happy! It's so cute to see all these little faces peeping out of their kitty beds in the evenings, they all look pretty darn content. I then bought pillow cases and some loose dried corn and put some corn in the pillowcases then microwaved these & viola - cheap heating pad for the kitties to sleep on in their kitty beds. I'm so worried about fires so I don't want heaters in our barns but these corn heating pads work out very well. Well I must run, I just wanted to let you know how everyone is doing & wish you a very Merry Christmas & a wonderful New Year. Thank you again for all you do for these cats, sincerely, Lisa

KPF
Dec. 21, 2010, 03:59 PM
Erin, Erin and Erin! :D (and Erin, btw-- haven't heard from ya, I keep telling Nellie that you're gonna bring her a new friend! PM me if you still want to bring me another :).)

Huntertwo
Dec. 21, 2010, 03:59 PM

Gosh, a bit intolerant of cheerful person? :confused:

cloudyandcallie
Dec. 21, 2010, 04:23 PM

Yes Zu Zu quit being so happy and nice and be nasty like the rest of the people.:) Don't you know it is Christmas time? Cheer and joy and being nice, shame on Zu Zu.

cloudyandcallie
Dec. 21, 2010, 04:24 PM
Erin, Erin and Erin! :D (and Erin, btw-- haven't heard from ya, I keep telling Nellie that you're gonna bring her a new friend! PM me if you still want to bring me another :).)

And here's another nice person, taking in kitties!

Erin
Dec. 21, 2010, 09:03 PM
baltimorecats.org is a friend of mine. :D

KPF, I have been swamped! But I am scheming who I have that would be the best buddy for Nellie and will deliver you a kitty after Xmas. :) I'll send you a PM...

KPF
Dec. 21, 2010, 09:39 PM
Erin, I figured you were busy. No rush, Nellie just wanted me to make sure you knew she wanted a new friend. :) I think she wants someone to cuddle up with on these cold nights!

Seriously, though, if anyone in the area needs a cat, Erin is awesome. She totally gets the "deal" with barn cats-- I tried getting one thru a local cat rescue and the criteria were crazy-- like they didn't like the fact that my neighbor (who's not close, I mean, we're on a farm) has a dog that runs loose (no leash law here) :confused:. Some of the rescues have no idea how great barn cat life can be. If I was a cat, I'd rather be a pampered barn cat than an indoor cat-- way more fun!!!:D

Little Nellie was very timid at first but she's my buddy now, and loves hanging out with my horses too. My barn is now bird and mouse free.

leilatigress
Dec. 21, 2010, 10:01 PM
We got ours off the giveaway forum and both despite being part time barn cats are great mousers.

Budrow
Dec. 22, 2010, 01:11 AM
Feral-Fix for Caretakers of Feral Cats
Wish you were in Atlanta...My neighbors support a BUNCH of feral cats...the cats have been here through a couple of human generations...I feel as though I should trap/spay/neuter/release them... To assure this IS HORSE RELATED, my neighbor is also a horse woman. I think she has run out of barns to give kittens to. My barn is fully "staffed" with mousers, even 'tho I've never seen a rat or mouse there! Others in the 'hood feed them, too...but they still hunt and teach the babies how to hunt - very cute! Wish they'd get these f'rickin squirrels/rats in my attic! My 5 indoor cats can't seem to get them thru the walls and ceiling!
Hire-a-Feral! Wish I could.

Shine
Dec. 22, 2010, 07:31 AM

I"m pretty sure that was "tongue in cheek" humor!:D

Everythingbutwings
Dec. 22, 2010, 10:07 AM
I"m pretty sure that was "tongue in cheek" humor!:D

Thank you, Shine!

(I don't do cotton candy at Christmas!)