PDA

View Full Version : Jacqui Oldham - RIP

Ibex
Dec. 18, 2010, 02:02 PM
Just heard that Jacqui Oldham has lost her battle with cancer. Whether you loved her or feared her (or both), she will be missed.

RIP Jacqui.

sunhawk
Dec. 18, 2010, 02:09 PM
There's a name that has been respected all the years I've been riding all though I never had the chance to ride under her. A loss to the horse world.

canyonoak
Dec. 18, 2010, 08:13 PM
Oh, am so sorry to hear this.
She was a great woman.

Godspeed, Jacqui, I know that you are again surrounded by your horses and feeling their love.

mjhco
Dec. 18, 2010, 08:46 PM
my condolences to all who loved her. Sorry to hear this.

PaulaM
Dec. 19, 2010, 01:55 AM
God speed Jacqui. You will be greatly missed.

Leena
Dec. 19, 2010, 07:57 PM
My sinceres condoleances to family and friends.

RIP Mrs Oldham

Ibex
Dec. 20, 2010, 01:17 AM
From her husband. This email has been circulating with "please forward", so I hope it's ok to post it here.

It is with a heavy heart that I am writing this to inform people about Jacqui’s death. She succumbed to Inflammatory Breast Cancer which metastasized to the brain in January of this year. She was originally diagnosed with the breast cancer in February of 2009. We thought we had it beat when a full body scan in late 2009 showed no signs of it anywhere in her trunk – but in February of this year a small seizure led the medics to do a head-scan, with the result that the metastases were discovered. Fortunately the brain infestation led to no significant pain issues, even during the later stages of the disease. We did not have to administer pain drugs at any time over the past 4 or 5 months. She died peacefully in her sleep Saturday morning at 2:30, with Haley and I sitting beside her.

About 5 years ago Jacqui and I pledged to each other that neither of us wanted a memorial service, and to honour that commitment there will be no funeral or like event. Also, I am requesting that no flowers be sent to help remember her. If you wish to do something, I would request that you send a small donation to BC Cancer Foundation at 600 – 686 West Broadway, Vancouver BC, V5Z 1G1, or to the equivalent agency in your local area.

As you all know, Jacqui was a remarkable woman with very high moral values. She was tough about everything that she felt to be important, and was not averse to telling anyone what she thought. To honour her commitment to her second love (horses), it is my intention to stay on the property and keep her two long-term horses (Cassat and Irish) in the situation to which they have become accustomed. It appears that Cassat will be bred to Totalis (who now resides in Germany) this Spring, with the embryo being transferred to a surrogate mare which our breeding vet owns (this plan is his brilliant idea). The embryo transfer is being done so that Cassat can continue to train and compete with the Youngrider who Jacqui has been mentoring over the past couple of years. I figure this is one way that I can ensure that Jacqui’s spirit is kept alive and active for the next few years.

Jacqui’s remains will be cremated, and the ashes spread in the paddock of her favourite horse, Cassat.

Please feel free to forward this e-mail to anyone I might have missed in the addresses at the top of the page.

God bless!

- Bill

besthorsever
Dec. 21, 2010, 01:08 AM
Yes, Jacqui had strong beliefs and she could be tough at times. But she was passionate about horsemanship and dressage education and incredibly generous about giving her time to share her considerable knowledge. I found her to be an empowering teacher. She was one of a kind and she will be missed.

Dbliron
Dec. 21, 2010, 09:59 AM
From her husband. This email has been circulating with "please forward", so I hope it's ok to post it here.

Hi, Ibex:

It's just fine that you've posted Bill's letter about Jacqui's passing. It will be published by Dressage Canada, and in a couple of magazines as well. We want to get the word out, and I personally think that Bill's letter is a tribute as well as an announcement.

Thanks for posting it!

Charmb
Dec. 23, 2010, 09:11 AM
Although I never had the opportunity to meet Jacqui Oldham, she is a person who's name and deeds have been been in many conversations and arenas of people thoughout a great numberof my years. It is a great loss for her family and the dressage and horse community of the lower mainland of B.C. I live in Saskatchewan, coming from the lower mainland, and this gives you an idea of the scope of this special person's impact.

It is a wonderful thing that she will live on in the people she mentored and the horses she raised or schooled.

Heartfelt condolences to Jacqui's family and friends

Fire_fly
Dec. 23, 2010, 06:29 PM
I met Jacqui while living/riding in the lower mainland. I will remember her for her incredible scope of knowledge of horses and dressage, as well as her contributions to the horse community. I will miss seeing her name as the judge at various dressage shows and clinics. My condolances to her family and friends.

neVar
Dec. 25, 2010, 01:13 AM
Ooh no :(

She judged one of our horse shows (2 summres ago?) and we loved having her. I got some great talks with her and she took the time to give a talk after the show to all who wanted spending time to answer everyone's questions.

I'm sure some of the wisdom she said will pass on for years. I say to my students "ride center line lk your going to end up in the judges lap" and "BE BOLD".

RIP Jaqui

CatOnLap
Dec. 25, 2010, 11:02 AM
Wow, Jacqui will be sorely missed. She was always gracious and friendly when she was here on Vancouver Island, and never hesitated to share her considerable knowledge with anyone who asked and would listen.

Ride on...the best horses are in heaven.