PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for clinicians - Training to GP

oldernewbie
Dec. 18, 2010, 10:43 AM
I'm posting for my barn owner. We are looking for clinicians for 2011. When I asked her for her requirements, the #1 thing for her was that the clinician has to be currently competing at Gran Prix on a horse that he or she trained. My requirement is that they have to respect amateurs and enjoy working with riders who show at lower levels.

Farm is located in southwestern Ohio. I won't say that money is no object, but we are willing to pay well for quality instruction. We take care of reasonable travel and accommodations. Past clinics have filled up completely. We are fun, friendly, and like to work hard at our riding.

If you've got suggestions, please either PM me or post here. Thanks for your help!

Winsock
Dec. 18, 2010, 11:07 AM
Patrick Tigchelaar!!!! www.TDStables.com

Ok, he did not compete at GP in 2010.....But I am not sure what his 2011 plans are. I HIGHLY suggest you consider him.

lorilu
Dec. 18, 2010, 11:45 AM
Gigi Nutter, Touch n go farm, Georgia. We had her in Ocala last year and she was great with all levels.
L

tempichange
Dec. 18, 2010, 11:51 AM
Needs further qualification- are you looking for European or more stateside?

Dressage_Julie
Dec. 18, 2010, 12:01 PM
There are quite a few relatively local GP trainers near you that have competed at GP on horses they have trianed:
George Williams
Tom Poulin

I recently clinic-ed with Kathy Connolly and LOVED her, she worked with all levels with great success.

Foxdale Farm
Dec. 18, 2010, 12:13 PM
Laurie Moore in Grand Rapids, MI. She is fabulous at all levels - kind, clear in her instructions. Both a great rider and a great teacher. I believe she has trained at least 2 (possibly more - not sure) of her own horses to the GP level, although her most recent mare was tragically lost last summer. She was starting to school GP movements with her at that time. She is a wonderful teacher and a very pleasant person. Her students are always very successful!

http://www.timberlanefarm.com/barn.html?facility.html

Good luck!
www.foxdalefarm.us

Velvet
Dec. 18, 2010, 12:38 PM
You want someone great at the upper levels and good with lower levels? Fly in Henk van Bergen. You can see by the links that he comes to the states quite often. Why not work with someone who has coached the Dutch team to a medal and has the time to come over. (Nope, he's no longer competing. THIS is what you really need. Someone who is a top notch coach for Olympic level riders. If you get someone who's competing a lot right now, you're going to have to work too hard to book them and keep them coming back. They're making their money off competing clients horses--and that is their priority. Get a great coach and you've got a way to win.)

http://www.neda.org/Images/Pub2006-Tip-May2006.pdf
http://www.crosscreekdressage.com/Events/VanBergen.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzHSFm3vZr0&feature=related

ToN Farm
Dec. 18, 2010, 12:44 PM
Velvet, it is really difficult to get in a Henk clinic. Clinic with people like him have their regular people and you need an 'in' to get in. I've inquired a couple of times and didn't get so much as a return call or email.

One suggestion that meets the OP's criteria would be Jane Hannigan. I don't know if she travels to give clinics or not. I wonder why currently competing is a criteria? I probably wouldn't want someone that hasn't done it for 40 years, but if they have trained and competed a horse in the last decade, why wouldn't that be sufficient?

Velvet
Dec. 18, 2010, 01:02 PM
Velvet, it is really difficult to get in a Henk clinic. Clinic with people like him have their regular people and you need an 'in' to get in. I've inquired a couple of times and didn't get so much as a return call or email.

I haven't had a problem with him in the past. Huh. Maybe it's who you know. :lol:

oldernewbie
Dec. 18, 2010, 01:31 PM
Needs further qualification- are you looking for European or more stateside?

Stateside is more realistic.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'm passing them on. Keep 'em coming!

2tempe
Dec. 18, 2010, 01:32 PM
Think about Nancy Smith. She spends summers in Cleveland area; was showing two horses at Grand Prix (that she trained) until two years ago; owner passed away. She now has two young horses, one doing PSG, the other, third level work. Has trained in Europe w/ Hubertus Schmidt on several occasions, as well as other European experts. I have trained w/ her regularly for a number of years. www.equisentialinc.com.

Foxdale Farm
Dec. 18, 2010, 04:27 PM
Another awesome possibility is Mike Etherly, based in Wilton, CA. Have watched several of his clinics, and he is absolutely fantastic as a teacher, rider, and competitor. He has trained several horses and students up to the FEI levels and is very positive and encouragining in his teaching style, regardless of the level. He will make you work though! He is also a super nice guy!

http://www.michaeletherly.com/about.html

Let us know what you guys end up doing when you get someone booked!

www.foxdalefarm.us

arkequestrian
Dec. 18, 2010, 05:05 PM
Mette Rosencrantz is a fantastic clinician. She has been coming to us for a few years. She has schooled her present two horses as well as numerous other to GP but is very willing to work with any rider. She is absolutely delightful with the auditors as well, and they go away having learned an equal amount.
She has videos on dressageclinic.com that you can watch to check out her style, and some good testimonials from clinics on her web site www.metterosencrantz.com

Some recent accomplishments are winner 2007 invitational world cup in Las Vegas, 2009 placed 6th at the Developing horse finals at Lamplight, 2010 had BOTH her horses qualify to compete at the Festival of Champions at Gladstone, in November she was coaching at the Asian Games in China.

You can email me or message me and I can tell you her fees and such.

fizzyfuzzybuzzy
Dec. 18, 2010, 05:53 PM
I love Felicitas Von Neumann-Cosel! She is fabulous with riders and horses of all ages, and does AMAZING lunge line lessons. She does clinics everywhere too.

Touchstone Farm,Ky
Dec. 18, 2010, 06:12 PM
Jim Koford. Seeing him teach a clinic is how I chose him to train my horse. He has such a talent to teach. Not all great riders are also great communicators which Jim is at all levels. Alex Robertson is also a really talented instructor. Both men are fun, kind and very effective.

Bogey2
Dec. 18, 2010, 06:57 PM
I second Jane Hannigan. She works with all levels, all horses and has trained horses to GP.

tempichange
Dec. 18, 2010, 08:59 PM
Jim Koford. Seeing him teach a clinic is how I chose him to train my horse. He has such a talent to teach. Not all great riders are also great communicators which Jim is at all levels. Alex Robertson is also a really talented instructor. Both men are fun, kind and very effective.

Second Jim Koford and Felicitas:)

hoopoe
Dec. 18, 2010, 09:30 PM
I too will give a thumbs up to Mette

She has a very nice teaching style

I would suggest Lilo Fore but she does not activly compete, rather she has many many clients doing that. I am not sure why this is an elimiating factor for your trainer

mishmash
Dec. 18, 2010, 09:34 PM
One suggestion that meets the OP's criteria would be Jane Hannigan. I don't know if she travels to give clinics or not. I wonder why currently competing is a criteria? I probably wouldn't want someone that hasn't done it for 40 years, but if they have trained and competed a horse in the last decade, why wouldn't that be sufficient?

Jane does travel to give clinics, andworks well with all levels.

oldernewbie
Dec. 18, 2010, 10:39 PM
What a great response! We'll entertain more, but we've got plenty to get started on for sure!

eponacelt
Dec. 19, 2010, 08:35 AM
She isn't competing any more, but best clinician I've seen for all levels is Lendon Gray. Can't wait to ride with her.

dfsaz
Dec. 19, 2010, 10:19 AM
I recently rode with Pierre St. Jacques. Very patient with all levels and a successful current GP competitor (5th (?) for the WEG for the US). Excellent instruction.

SBF
Dec. 19, 2010, 01:17 PM
I love Felicitas Von Neumann-Cosel! She is fabulous with riders and horses of all ages, and does AMAZING lunge line lessons. She does clinics everywhere too.

Ditto this, Felicitas is fantastic!

KatherineC
Dec. 19, 2010, 04:50 PM
ditto Felicitas Von Neumann-Cosel.