PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Stirrup Leathers?

n2dressage
Dec. 18, 2010, 06:27 AM
I'm looking to get some new leathers for my "new" to me Hennig (1992 model and still in great shape!). I think I would like to have half holes. I find it hard to get a good stirrup length sometimes... I also like the flat buckles up top. I found some Toulouse on Ebay for $80 that has both... Anyone have any faves or suggestions?

AllWeatherGal
Dec. 18, 2010, 07:07 AM
I'm enjoying my un-leathers from ovation, which I purchased from http://www.mobilehorsesupply.com/index.htm. They're synthetic, very flat and the holes, while not the half-spacing, are very adjustable. They also don't scratch the saddle and cost about $30.

Trixie's mom
Dec. 18, 2010, 07:15 AM
Prestige for my close contact and a pair of no name brand i bought in Helsinki for my dressage saddle.

n2dressage
Dec. 18, 2010, 07:40 AM
I have Prestige on my other dressage saddle and have enjoyed those. I was thinking some Prestige with half holes would be very nice but I don't think they make them.
I bought some MDC Stirrups on Ebay (I thought they were the flex ones but they aren't so I'm unsure if I'm going to keep them)... I can't wait to have my saddle fully outfitted! Of course, when I have the funds to buy my dream dressage youngster (I already have him picked out... i just have to talk his owner into selling him to me at a reasonable price) then the saddle saga will start all over because he has an extremely flat and wide back and the saddle(s) I have now won't fit him AT ALL! :no: Oh darn... may have to save €€€€ for a custom Hennig! :winkgrin:

Dressage.For.Life.
Dec. 18, 2010, 09:02 AM
I have Prestige leathers on both of my saddles (a Prestige and Stubben) and love them. They're good quality and because of how soft the leather is, they hardly make a mark on saddles. Do a search on here (H/J forum too) and you'll see that a bunch of people like them.

jn4jenny
Dec. 18, 2010, 09:14 AM
I had the Prestige leathers and they lasted 3 years before they stretched out. But they don't have half holes, so I'm now using the Passier Nylon Lined Leathers with half-holes. They have a curved buckle that is not quite as flat as the Prestige buckles but it's flat enough against the stirrup bar that I don't notice the buckle bulge. I picked them up for about $65 at the VTO Saddlery sale, which I'm sure will recur near Christmas. They retail at $79.95. My only complaint is that they are a good-quality bridle leather, not calfskin, which is not a problem on my grain leather dressage saddle but a potential problem on my calfskin jumping saddle.

dwblover
Dec. 18, 2010, 02:50 PM
I love Prestige leathers and I also really like Bates webbers.

thatsnotme
Dec. 18, 2010, 04:00 PM
Love the Bates webbers

xQHDQ
Dec. 18, 2010, 04:11 PM
I love these: http://www.legacytack.com/pc/10159/SADDLEFIT/Nunn+Finer+Nylon+Center+Stirrup+Leathers.html

But I like thicker leathers. They are good quality; have half-holes, and are reasonably priced.

TheHorseProblem
Dec. 18, 2010, 04:24 PM
I had the Prestige leathers and they lasted 3 years before they stretched out. But they don't have half holes, so I'm now using the Passier Nylon Lined Leathers with half-holes. They have a curved buckle that is not quite as flat as the Prestige buckles but it's flat enough against the stirrup bar that I don't notice the buckle bulge. I picked them up for about $65 at the VTO Saddlery sale, which I'm sure will recur near Christmas. They retail at $79.95. My only complaint is that they are a good-quality bridle leather, not calfskin, which is not a problem on my grain leather dressage saddle but a potential problem on my calfskin jumping saddle.

I had the Passiers also. After maybe six months of use the leather started to shred. I would not recommend them.

Try Gary Mundy leathers. He'll make you anything you want. He used to sell on eBay, but now he works just through email. You'll see on his price list that you can get whatever you want for not a lot of money.

Gary’s Leather Shop, LLC
4011 Kings Ridge Road
Mitchell, Indiana 47446
Ph. (812)388-6967
Email: gleather@rtccom.net

CatchMeIfUCan
Dec. 18, 2010, 05:25 PM
Love the Nunn Finer ones xQHDQ posted. I have used a pair on my jumping saddle for about 6 years, and they haven't stretched one bit and still look brand new. They have half holes too.

ArabDiva
Dec. 18, 2010, 07:08 PM
I'm looking to get some new leathers for my "new" to me Hennig (1992 model and still in great shape!). I think I would like to have half holes. I find it hard to get a good stirrup length sometimes... I also like the flat buckles up top. I found some Toulouse on Ebay for $80 that has both... Anyone have any faves or suggestions?

I LOOOOOOOOVE Toulouse leathers. I have one pair that I have had for 4 years...no stretching, still look brand new. Love the flat buckles at the top. Just bought a brand new dressage saddle and a new pair of the toulouse dressage leathers with the 1/2" holes. I have about 20 rides on the saddle and the flaps still look brand new--no stirrup rubbing marks whatsoever.

Dressage.For.Life.
Dec. 18, 2010, 10:11 PM
Prestige makes some "dressage leathers" that are exactly like Bates/Wintec's "webbers".

helenkitty156
Dec. 19, 2010, 10:44 PM
Kieffer or DT, that is what I like.

Po-Po
Dec. 19, 2010, 10:52 PM
I have Stubben calfskin leathers on my Amerigo Deep Dressage. They are calfskin with a nylon core and are very nice quality, but a bit expensive @ $180.00. :eek:

Lori B
Dec. 21, 2010, 02:56 PM
How timely is this thread! My aunt sent me a little $ for Xmas, so I think she's going to pimp my ride: time to replace those gawdawful plastic stirrup leathers on my wintec pro dressage saddle with real stirrup leathers. Can anyone tell me the ballpark price for a pair of black 54" Gary Mundy leathers? They sound like the way to go.

Arizona DQ
Dec. 21, 2010, 04:03 PM
Love the Bates webbers

I do too. I love the fact that they are not double, so there is less under my leg.....:)