PDA

View Full Version : Vent about trainer!!!!!!

victorian24
Dec. 17, 2010, 08:29 PM
So I am just beginning my start in Classical Dressage, after taking two years to build my equine business. I have a green broke mare in which I want to train on, however I am looking for a trainer that can start me on a school mount so I can get my balance seat back, and start building and strengthing my legs. I use to ride jumpers for 4 years before taking time off.

I have lost quite =a bit of weight almost 45lbs and have another 20 to lose, and I was riding and my balance from when I rode before to now was so different.

Since then my trainer dropped me :mad:

And her reason was my and my mare are too much work, I am too old (25) to begin a new riding discipline, esp Dressage, and my mare was too high strung. I am very upset right now. I am not for one second thinking of getting rid of my mare, we have been through too much to quit each other. I have been looking for a new trainer, and no such luck yet....

For now I have been just in the round pen with my mare working on W-T and getting back into riding.

I guess I just needed to vent/

if you read this, Thank you and sorry for rambling

xQHDQ
Dec. 17, 2010, 08:37 PM
Would you really want to be with a trainer who would dump someone b/c they are "too old" (you're not) with a high-strung horse? Obviously, this person did not feel they had the skills to teach you. The problem is, you're no different than most rider/horse combinations out there, which means this trainer isn't very good.

You'll find a trainer who appreciates you're unique qualities, and be glad you're no longer with the other person. Good luck.

alibi_18
Dec. 17, 2010, 08:50 PM
What is your equine business?

And probably if your ex-coach was a jumper trainer, he might not be that qualified to teach you dressage, or the way you'd like it to be. What are you looking for when you say 'classical dressage'? What are your expectations?

Carol Ames
Dec. 17, 2010, 09:00 PM
Dressage is about the developmental process of building your horse to become a willing, physically and mentally developed partner; take the horse and rider where they are and develop them into a more gymnastic, athletic, "tuned " horse and rider; Dressage makes horses more beautiful, and a JOY to ride; 25 is definitely NOT too old:no: I understand why you needed to vent!:mad: Don't let her stop :no:you; find a true trainer;); not one in name/ label only:no:

victorian24
Dec. 17, 2010, 09:01 PM
I own a private equine institution in which I certify individuals in Equine Massage Therapy. That why I took 2 years off to write and update the equine massage therapy that is avalible today. So I finally got it published and approved by the vet board and opened My school Cavallo Manor Inc.

I want to have a more balanced seat, become one with my horse, and everything that is involved with Dressage, and working up through the levels.

When I say Classical Dressage, from vienna spanish riding school and their philosophy. Which this trainer I was with said he knew.

Tiffani B
Dec. 17, 2010, 09:11 PM
That's ridiculous. I'm 36 and just switched to jumping after a lifetime of Saddle Seat. Your trainer just doesn't want to work with you for whatever reason.

Congrats on working hard and succeeding at your goal for your business. Put that much effort into your riding and you'll do just fine... I'm sure the right trainer will appear.

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Dec. 17, 2010, 09:17 PM
Too old with 25? Goodness, I started riding PERIOD with 25 (after dreaming of it until then). You know, some horses lend themselves more to dressage than others. My OTTB is one of those tense ones with a myriad of problems, but he's still a nice training/first level horse -- we never showed, but we took lots of lessons and enjoyed each other. There were several trainers who didn't want to teach us and one bluntly told me I should just put him down (he's not dangerous, just not a "dressage horse")... In any case -- find a trainer that will work for you and your mare. If that person doesn't want to teach you, you're probably better off without him anyway! Trainer "fit" is very individual, just keep looking, you'll find the right match. :)

49'er
Dec. 17, 2010, 09:20 PM
You have a pm.

hoopoe
Dec. 17, 2010, 09:23 PM
we better not mention Debbie McDonald who transitioned to Dressage after a hugely successful hunter career.

alibi_18
Dec. 17, 2010, 09:30 PM
I want to have a more balanced seat, become one with my horse, and everything that is involved with Dressage, and working up through the levels.

When I say Classical Dressage, from vienna spanish riding school and their philosophy. Which this trainer I was with said he knew.

Good trainers (jumper, dressage, western) will all focused on a more balance seat and being more aware of your horse.
Being one with a horse as nothing to do with the discipline.

But I think you are getting a little confused on the discipline as the Classical Dressage school in Vienna has little to do with 'working up the levels' that are for competitions.

Maybe your expectations are not that much realistic of your goals with the horse you have. It might take more time and understanding than what you are asking for.

BTW, at the SRS, riders start their first year only doing lunge lessons without stirrups for a year. Since you have a young mare, I wouldn't recommend that at all.

Starting a green broke horse with a not so balanced rider is not the best way to start things either. Maybe you could try to find a dressage coach that could start your horse undersaddle for you a bit as well?

Congrats on your business!

mjhco
Dec. 17, 2010, 10:15 PM
You might want to find a 'trainer' than can find their *ss with both hands.

I perceive the excuses they gave you are just that. Excuses because that person has insufficient skills to teach anything outside their realm of experience.

Michael Poulin is not too far from your area. As is Bill Woods. Check them out.

victorian24
Dec. 17, 2010, 10:25 PM
Too old with 25? Goodness, I started riding PERIOD with 25 (after dreaming of it until then). You know, some horses lend themselves more to dressage than others. My OTTB is one of those tense ones with a myriad of problems, but he's still a nice training/first level horse -- we never showed, but we took lots of lessons and enjoyed each other. There were several trainers who didn't want to teach us and one bluntly told me I should just put him down (he's not dangerous, just not a "dressage horse")... In any case -- find a trainer that will work for you and your mare. If that person doesn't want to teach you, you're probably better off without him anyway! Trainer "fit" is very individual, just keep looking, you'll find the right match. :)

I know my mare will never be a upper level Dressage Mare, however, I know she can do and go through 2nd level. She was with a Trainer for 2months, but we had to pull her out b/c he was gone alot more then I liked. So when looking for a trainer, I will have my mare in training also. I know its a long road but I know we are a great team together, its just something between me and her that only a rider and horse have with each other. I am going to keep looking like you said, I will find one to work with both me and her.

Thank you for the kind words...:D

victorian24
Dec. 17, 2010, 10:26 PM
You might want to find a 'trainer' than can find their *ss with both hands.

I perceive the excuses they gave you are just that. Excuses because that person has insufficient skills to teach anything outside their realm of experience.

Michael Poulin is not too far from your area. As is Bill Woods. Check them out.

:D I will be checking them out..I know the right trainer is out there for me and my mare.

victorian24
Dec. 17, 2010, 10:29 PM
Good trainers (jumper, dressage, western) will all focused on a more balance seat and being more aware of your horse.
Being one with a horse as nothing to do with the discipline.

But I think you are getting a little confused on the discipline as the Classical Dressage school in Vienna has little to do with 'working up the levels' that are for competitions.

Maybe your expectations are not that much realistic of your goals with the horse you have. It might take more time and understanding than what you are asking for.

BTW, at the SRS, riders start their first year only doing lunge lessons without stirrups for a year. Since you have a young mare, I wouldn't recommend that at all.

Starting a green broke horse with a not so balanced rider is not the best way to start things either. Maybe you could try to find a dressage coach that could start your horse undersaddle for you a bit as well?

Congrats on your business!

This is what I am looking for in Classical Dressage

http://www.classicaldressage.co.uk/html/what_is_classical_.html

The mare herself is going to be working under the trainer, so they will be riding and working with her while I am working on a schooling mount.

victorian24
Dec. 17, 2010, 10:30 PM
That's ridiculous. I'm 36 and just switched to jumping after a lifetime of Saddle Seat. Your trainer just doesn't want to work with you for whatever reason.

Congrats on working hard and succeeding at your goal for your business. Put that much effort into your riding and you'll do just fine... I'm sure the right trainer will appear.

Thank you so much for the kind words...:D

I am not giving up on my mare. We are a great team..

Petstorejunkie
Dec. 17, 2010, 10:39 PM
you have a PM

beckzert
Dec. 18, 2010, 12:41 AM
That is a horrible experience and I am very sorry you had to go through it! I once had a trainer "break up" with me because my horse was "not suitable" for dressage and my mom drove her crazy because she (and I) didn't understand why I needed a new horse (I was 12). Turns out she was WAY wrong...I earned my USDF Bronze Medal among many, many other awards on that horse, showing her quite successfully through 4th level when she was 21 and I was 18.

I feel confident that the hard work you have put into your business will translate over into your enthusiasm for dressage. Look for a trainer who is realistic about where you and your horse are, but who doesn't ever yell, put you down, or demean you in any way. There are lots of wonderful trainers out there, and this type of treatment is just not something you should pay for.

On a side note, I have a tip: Look for someone who teaches Alexander Technique in your area. Since you are working on your seat and position, this can be a huge help. The sessions are usually done on the ground, but I find I get as much out of them as I do in 5 lunge line sessions.

echodecker
Dec. 18, 2010, 10:03 AM
You could try Valhalla Farm in Wellborn, FL. They are about an hour and a half north of you. Google for the website.

Marla 100
Dec. 18, 2010, 10:12 AM
I would also suggest you talk with Bill and Susan Woods at Fourwinds Farm in Ocala.

lorilu
Dec. 18, 2010, 10:19 AM
you have a pm

jn4jenny
Dec. 18, 2010, 10:51 AM
I would also suggest you talk with Bill and Susan Woods at Fourwinds Farm in Ocala.

Ditto this suggestion.

While I do think your ex-trainer was unduly harsh and impolite--to the point of being completely inappropriate--you will do your next trainer search a lot of good by acknowledging that you are basically looking for a SuperTrainer. Based on your previous posts, you need all of the following:

--good with people switching disciplines who are also low-confidence riders and recently experienced huge shifts in balance due to weight loss
--willing and able to work with your 6-year-old TB/Paso mare who was unbroke as of Oct 2010
--willing and able to provide a lesson horse while your recently broke mare progresses in her training, which means you may be on a lesson or lease horse for quite some time
--willing and able to eventually marry this currently unbroke mare to this currently low-confidence/balance-challenged/new-to-dressage rider
--willing and able to bring you, and your mare, up through the levels using classical technique and no crank n' spank.

I am NOT suggesting that you are asking too much or that you should give up your dreams. With the right trainer, a big enough checkbook, and sufficient time and sweat, it is absolutely achievable. But I wonder if your previous trainer simply realized that she wasn't up to the task and couldn't provide this range of services, but didn't have the integrity and balls to just say that instead of insulting the client. Laying out the challenge in no uncertain terms will give you a very good feel of whether you've found your SuperTrainer. A good trainer who's genuinely up to the task will recognize that you're a very financially lucrative client and take you on.

Chall
Dec. 18, 2010, 11:08 AM
The trainer's comment only makes sense if he/she specializes in teaching children only, is that the case?

Hampton Bay
Dec. 18, 2010, 12:53 PM
Charlotte Trentelman. She is amazing, and affordable. Funny, willing to work with any horse, and will tell it to you straight.

Also, Sally Moehring is very good with green horses, and she likes the more "spirited" mares. She would be worth looking into as well.

victorian24
Dec. 18, 2010, 03:53 PM
Ditto this suggestion.

While I do think your ex-trainer was unduly harsh and impolite--to the point of being completely inappropriate--you will do your next trainer search a lot of good by acknowledging that you are basically looking for a SuperTrainer. Based on your previous posts, you need all of the following:

--good with people switching disciplines who are also low-confidence riders and recently experienced huge shifts in balance due to weight loss
--willing and able to work with your 6-year-old TB/Paso mare who was unbroke as of Oct 2010
--willing and able to provide a lesson horse while your recently broke mare progresses in her training, which means you may be on a lesson or lease horse for quite some time
--willing and able to eventually marry this currently unbroke mare to this currently low-confidence/balance-challenged/new-to-dressage rider
--willing and able to bring you, and your mare, up through the levels using classical technique and no crank n' spank.

I am NOT suggesting that you are asking too much or that you should give up your dreams. With the right trainer, a big enough checkbook, and sufficient time and sweat, it is absolutely achievable. But I wonder if your previous trainer simply realized that she wasn't up to the task and couldn't provide this range of services, but didn't have the integrity and balls to just say that instead of insulting the client. Laying out the challenge in no uncertain terms will give you a very good feel of whether you've found your SuperTrainer. A good trainer who's genuinely up to the task will recognize that you're a very financially lucrative client and take you on.

Thank you for the advice I will use this as a guideline when interviewing other Trainers. I really believe my-ex trainer was more into the money then anything, and thought it was not worth it, b/c I was asking alot of basic Dressage questions and he could not even tell me, and he was getting frustrated with me all the time, I swear I thought he was always trying to make me break and cry, and I will not do that. I believe in my mare and if you cant do it, then I will find someone who can.

victorian24
Dec. 18, 2010, 03:55 PM
The trainer's comment only makes sense if he/she specializes in teaching children only, is that the case?

No, he was labeled an advanced Classical Dressage Trainer, Specializing in Adults, upper-level, and training horses from ground up, through all levels of Dressage.

I was up-front when I spoke, and explained what we were looking for, and right where I am.

I rode my mare today in the roundpen and I saw my confidence coming back. I just know a trainer will give me and my mare what we need.

victorian24
Dec. 18, 2010, 03:57 PM
Charlotte Trentelman. She is amazing, and affordable. Funny, willing to work with any horse, and will tell it to you straight.

Also, Sally Moehring is very good with green horses, and she likes the more "spirited" mares. She would be worth looking into as well.

Thats Great, I will look them up and give them a call.

I am getting so excited in starting my career in Classical Dressage, that I am wanting to find a life-long trainer.

rprincess73
Dec. 18, 2010, 05:00 PM
25 and too old? Geez....I just started back and I am 37. I used to jump...and now I am doing dressage only. In fact, most of the riders at the barn I ride and train at are in their early 20s to 40s. We are a mix....and all love our horses and strive to be better riders.

I live in Green Cove - but ride in Starke. It's about 45 minutes away from Ocala.

victorian24
Dec. 18, 2010, 06:13 PM
25 and too old? Geez....I just started back and I am 37. I used to jump...and now I am doing dressage only. In fact, most of the riders at the barn I ride and train at are in their early 20s to 40s. We are a mix....and all love our horses and strive to be better riders.

I live in Green Cove - but ride in Starke. It's about 45 minutes away from Ocala.

I know exactly where that is!

The first thing he asked me when I interviewed him was why would I take time off from riding?

I told him one b/c I wanted to build my company, and second b/c I didnt feel I could give 100% to riding, and I didnt feel mature enough at that time.

But now I am 25, stable, and can give everything into riding.

mjhco
Dec. 18, 2010, 08:05 PM
I am betting this 'trainer' has never produced any rider or horse that has competed over 1st level. Has no credentials other than claiming to be 'classical'.

AnotherRound
Dec. 18, 2010, 08:15 PM
I'm 52 and just starting dressage from a background when younger of hunter/jumper. His response was wierd. Everyone, and every horse can be trained classically. Many can go to the higher levels, some can begin to show.

Keep looking. You are lucky, there are many trainers in your area and you have been given myriad recommendations. Check them out and let us all know what you found!

Hooray for your commitments. I know that it feels good to plan success. That's almost all you need, in many ways! Plan it and carry it out. Find a good trainer to help you and support you. Hope the suggestions here all pan out and you have many choices before you.

Carol Ames
Dec. 18, 2010, 08:18 PM
I am betting this 'trainer' has never produced any rider or horse that has competed over 1st level. Has no credentials other than claiming to be 'classical'.
http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/images/buttons/quote.gif (http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=5290565)

Carol Ames
Dec. 18, 2010, 08:25 PM
Let's try to look at this positively; You are avoiding a"trainer", probably in name only:mad:; who, does not know what or how to teach th:confused:e basics be thankful, go to someone who, knows what they are talking about don't waste time or money :eek:on this bozo!:no:

victorian24
Dec. 18, 2010, 08:28 PM
Let's try to look at this positively; You are avoiding a"trainer", probably in name only:mad:; who, does not know what or how to teach th:confused:e basics be thankful, go to someone who, knows what they are talking about don't waste time or money :eek:on this bozo!:no:

I am so happy that I have left, I feel a huge weight lifted off my shoulders, When I was on her today I was so relaxed that we had a really good time riding, mind you we had some technical issues, but over-all it was just an amazing time:yes:

sdlbredfan
Dec. 18, 2010, 08:39 PM
So I am just beginning my start in Classical Dressage, after taking two years to build my equine business. I have a green broke mare in which I want to train on, however I am looking for a trainer that can start me on a school mount so I can get my balance seat back, and start building and strengthing my legs. I use to ride jumpers for 4 years before taking time off.

I have lost quite =a bit of weight almost 45lbs and have another 20 to lose, and I was riding and my balance from when I rode before to now was so different.

Since then my trainer dropped me :mad:

And her reason was my and my mare are too much work, I am too old (25) to begin a new riding discipline, esp Dressage, and my mare was too high strung. I am very upset right now. I am not for one second thinking of getting rid of my mare, we have been through too much to quit each other. I have been looking for a new trainer, and no such luck yet....

For now I have been just in the round pen with my mare working on W-T and getting back into riding.

I guess I just needed to vent/

if you read this, Thank you and sorry for rambling

As stressful as that is/was, cheer up, that was not a trainer! That was a lazy, incompetent fool. You are well rid of that one.

victorian24
Dec. 18, 2010, 08:41 PM
As stressful as that is/was, cheer up, that was not a trainer! That was a lazy, incompetent fool. You are well rid of that one.

Thank you so much. I feel so much better with out him. A huge weight lifted off my shoulders. Now I can focus on me and my mare and finding someone who is the best for us.

EasyStreet
Dec. 18, 2010, 11:06 PM
Judy Downer is in Ocala and is very good! Karen Licciardi is there too! Hope you find one that appreciates "Their" business!

Melyni
Dec. 19, 2010, 04:41 PM
He's in Orlando, he comes to Ocala for clinics, he has school horses, he is very classical.

PM me if you need his phone number or email address.
MW

Valentina_32926
Dec. 20, 2010, 10:32 AM
Google Charlotte Trentleman - she is a judge and breeder. She has an excellent eye for what is correct, and she lives in/near Ocala. If you call her and she is not available she may be able to suggest someone who is good and available.

Your last "trainer" sounds like a BS'er to me. :yes: