PDA

View Full Version : Half walls for stall fronts?

SAcres
Dec. 17, 2010, 01:22 PM
Ok, so I'm looking for an inexpensive way to do stall fronts. At first I was just going to save for a couple years and get some with nice grills and sliding doors and everything, but I really can't stand looking at the stall fronts we have now...THEY HAVE TO GO!:mad: They're painted brown and white, chipping paint, rusted "homemade" front grills, heavy sliding doors, it's all really ugly. The wood is all chewed (not from my horses, we bought our farm a little less than a year ago with the barn already on the property) and I don't really want to bother replacing wood, sanding, repainting, striping the grills of paint, repainting grills, etc etc. 1) I just don't have that kind of free time and 2) I'm not a fan of the type of stall fronts we have.
Anyway, so cheap stall fronts...
I was thinking about doing solid wood walls about 3.5 or 4 feet high using those nifty u-channels. Then for the stall door I was going to use stall gates. I found some stall gates from Ramm fencing that go all the way down to the ground, I would probably use them. I would cap the wood half wall with a metal strip so the horses couldn't chew (not that they should, the get free choice hay inside!).
But I can see some pretty big cons to not having grills on the stall front like...
1) horses possibly jumping out of the stalls
2) a horse in the isle possibly getting bit by a horse in a stall
3) a person in the isle possibly getting bit by a horse in a stall
4) horses chewing blankets, pads, wraps, halters, bridles, etc, that are left on blanket bars on the stall fronts
5) horses getting into fights because they will now be able to reach each other because they don't have stall front grills.
There are also some pros, like...
1) horses will be more comfortable because they can see each other
2) more "room" in the stalls for horses to turn around
3) better ventilation
4) they will be pretty so I won't cringe everytime I walk into the barn
5) they're inexpensive

Should I go for it and put up half wall stall fronts? Or should I wait until I can afford new stall fronts with grills and sliding doors and just try to ignore how ugly they are.
I run (or will be running) a small boarding barn in the near future. 6 stalls, 2 of them are for my horses. How would this set up look to a possible new boarder?

Thanks for reading my rambling!

Watermark Farm
Dec. 17, 2010, 01:40 PM
>>>>>But I can see some pretty big cons to not having grills on the stall front like...
1) horses possibly jumping out of the stalls<<<<<

I have full stall fronts (solid below, bars above). On the rare occasion a horse gets really agitated, I'm glad I do.

ridingarts
Dec. 17, 2010, 01:47 PM
I did something somewhat similar to "temporarily" enclose the back walls of our stalls until we get the proper sacrifice runs & "real" walls built.

These went up quickly & cheaply, and I can always sell or re-use the 4' gates elsewhere.

As far as the inmates kibbitzing... they do, but they don't actually fight. If I have two "fighters" next to each other, they'll wreak havoc regardless - so I try to arrange the victims accordingly. :rolleyes:

While I didn't use the u-channel for the ends, you certainly could, and it would be quicker / easier than my halfbaked toenailed stuff. We DID use u-channel for the other proper 3 walls, and will when we go to finish off these walls. Eventually they'll be lined w/ tongue & groove to match the rest / be sided outside with board & batten to match the rest and will have Dutch 1/2 doors. I'll probably do grills on either side of each doorway from the 1/2 wall up to the top when I finish them off, too...

Links to a couple of pics:

http://www.ridingarts.com/images/0409-openside.jpg

http://www.ridingarts.com/images/0409-Stall-No-1-Outside.jpg

While I left that lower part open, you could always fill that in completely, obviously. They just went up quicker this way, took a little less lumber, and it will be less for me to demolish when I go to do a proper job of the lot. :)

Hope that helps to maybe visualize it a bit...

fivesocks
Dec. 17, 2010, 02:09 PM
So long as the horses aren't too aggressive, you aren't worried about a horse jumping out if left alone in the barn for some reason, and you don't plan to keep frightened weanlings in the stalls it seems like half walls should be fine.

Might want to fully enclose just one stall in case you have a horse or foal tempted by the easy exit or one who is particularly grumpy.

My stalls have the yoke things in the interior stall doors and dutch doors on the back of the stalls. So not fully open stall fronts but still... you can tell I am a big fan of horses being able to poke their heads out :)

I don't have aggressive horses so for me the biggest downside is no blanket bars.

HPFarmette
Dec. 17, 2010, 02:18 PM
and RidingArts, I love that building....:yes:

PiaffePlease
Dec. 17, 2010, 02:53 PM
Ive seen half stalls once before in a low budget, private barn. The whole stalls were half stalls (so the sides open too), and it was pretty scary. When I read the title, before I even opened the thread, I thought, "bad idea, horses can jump out/bit each other or a passing person/horse". Horses do crazy things and Ive seen several horses try to jump out over a dutch door.

I like what ridingarts posted pictures of. I would feel safer with that. The beams break up the openness and I feel like that would discourage the jumping out part more.

Hampton Bay
Dec. 17, 2010, 02:57 PM
I boarded in a barn with a couple half-walls, and it was fine. However, at least every other stall had grills so that the "naughty" horses would have grills, and the well-behaved ones could hang their heads out over the stall fronts. There were never any issues with horses fighting or biting anyone or anything, but the grills on every other stall helped a lot.

Could you do one stall with a grill, and the others opened, for now? That way if you have one naughty horse you can put him into the stall with the grill? Then add grills to the others as you can afford it?

ridingarts
Dec. 17, 2010, 02:57 PM
and RidingArts, I love that building....:yes:

Wow, thanks SO much! Labor of love and pain and $uffering, I tell you... :lol: And still not all the way finished... I'm a little shy to post pics of it, there are so many big, fancy places out there, you know? Our tiny place is very humble, and far from finished yet. We're slowly building everything ourselves.

More pics here, if you'd like to see more: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=150010&id=773259197&l=8c594b9e32

But to return from the hijack (sorry!) - as far as more open stalls / heads out, etc. - I like to let them have their heads out as much as possible. Some critters DO get pretty naughty, tho - so it depends a lot on the inmate(s) in question as to how much latitude you can give them. :winkgrin: A lot of times it depends upon how much turnout / exercise they get, too...

UrbanHennery
Dec. 17, 2010, 03:09 PM
We've got partial walls in our small barn (3 stalls). They're about 5' on the fronts (doors too) and 6.5' between the stalls. I like it and so do the boys. The height in the front let's them put their head's over to say hello but gives me confidence that they can't jump over from a standstill. The height between the stalls means that while they can kiss each other, they can't actually get at each other to bite or fight.

Our stall walls are dropped into u-channels and made of cedar "car decking". Even the stall pawer hasn't made a dent in the walls.

Would it be my first choice in building a barn? No, I'd rather the high-end look, but we didn't build the barn and it's perfectly functional as-is. Happy to get you photos if that would be useful.

Benson
Dec. 17, 2010, 04:27 PM
SS, we have built our barn ourselves and finish different parts as we can afford to. Stall fronts have been pretty far down on the list. In this picture you can see the stalls.

http://alisonhowardspictures.shutterfly.com/1213

We have used all rough cut lumber so the boards are substantial. I definitely like Ridingarts pics and am going to show DH how nice they look. The summer ventilation is fantastic. We hang large 4' fans in the corners of the barn and the horses get plenty of air.

We have a variety of animals (sheep, a cow, a pony and three horses) and this configuration works well for everyone. Our herd is relatively docile with no young stock.

ridingarts
Dec. 17, 2010, 04:53 PM
Alison your pics are beautiful! Very nice how you tied the profile of the barn in with the house... funny how we have almost the same colors - and I want to do similar flower boxes under the windows once I finally get to that point. :-)

Love your big overhangs, too!

ArabDiva
Dec. 17, 2010, 05:04 PM
I did these stall fronts myself for roughly $120 including all lumber and hardware.

(my barn was not done--by a long shot--when that photo was taken 4 years ago, but I had to move the horses in anyway)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1199/1369575538_62cefa4ca9_b.jpg

If I was looking at a boarding barn I probably wouldn't feel comfortable with half-walls. And as an owner I like the stall to be an enclosed place where I can work with the horse and know they won't attempt to escape. JMO.

Let me know if you'd like to see more pics or know what materials i used...

Calvincrowe
Dec. 17, 2010, 05:06 PM
OP- 3.5 feet is not tall enough, for open stall fronts--I'd go 4.5-5 feet. More deterrent to "jumping out" urges, and also keeps horses from leaning into the aisle. Solid walls and gates like the ones another posted would be great. I have one stall with an open wall (we never put the grill work in) and the horses don't really do more than grinch at each other, though I wouldn't want two unhappy campers side by side.

I used Priefert Modular stall components, and all I had to do was add wood--roughly $1000 a stall. They look fabulous (gray powder coat) 6 years later--in the damp, gray PNW that's pretty good.

fordtraktor
Dec. 17, 2010, 08:54 PM
My parents have open fronted stalls in the barn and have for 15 years. It only works because they have a 16 foot aisle. With a narrower aisle horses might be able to bite others walking by or in the crossties, but with the 16 foot aisle it is fine.

They are probably 4.5 feet high. They should be at least wither height for the horses. No way would 3.5 feet contain a horse reliably. We have never had a horse try to jump out.

There are advantages. It is very friendly and the horses all enjoy socializing and standing with their heads together. The disadvantage is that they can also fight. Would not be good for a nasty horse.

PNWjumper
Dec. 17, 2010, 09:24 PM
I agree that 3 1/2' is nowhere near tall enough for a stall wall (or front). But as far as half walls go, that's what I have in my barn and I haven't ever had issues with horses trying to jump out....even when very agitated.

My stall fronts are 5' tall and the doors are 4 1/2' tall. Horses can hang their heads out, but they can't reach over the wall to bite a cross-tied horse in the aisleway (my aisleways are only 10' wide). We also have a 2"x6" board that makes a "ledge" or "shelf" along the top of the stall wall and I think that helps because it doesn't allow the horses to comfortably push against the wall if they do want to lean out.

My walls between the stalls are 6' tall, but they're boards up to about 5' and then open frame the last foot. Hard to explain what that means, but basically a horse can see through but can't fit their head through any way other than sideways....so there's not enough room to get stuck, but there is enough room to "kiss" the neighbor. I don't particularly like the design (and wouldn't plan my stalls that way), but the barn was built when we got here and mine don't live in stalls unless they're on lay-up for some reason, so I haven't ever made the effort to change them out.

seramisu
Dec. 17, 2010, 09:42 PM
The barn where I board ("low-budget" is a good way of putting it) has half-wall fronts. I haven't measured, but I'd guess they're 4' tall. There are the two mares that like to charge when unfamiliar horses walk down the aisleway (and some genius put these two mares across from each other so you have to walk dead in the center of the aisle to keep your innocent gelding from getting got) but you'd have that issue with v-fronts or dutch doors too. The only horse that has ever gotten agitated enough to try and jump out was a filly being weaned and desperate to get back to mama. As long as your horses are generally good citizens I think you'll be fine. The horses seem to get agitated less than at my previous barn which had grill fronts - I think sticking their heads out and being a part of things keeps them interested and generally calmer. If I ever get around to building my own barn I'll probably do half walls the same way.

Behind the 8 Ball
Dec. 17, 2010, 10:06 PM
We converted an old dairy barn and created 5 new stalls along a 70 foot section. We used rough cut hemlock 2x12s and 4x4s as our corner studs. The side walls go all the way up and the back walls are stone with each stall having at least one 2x2' window. The fronts are 1/2 walls up to 5 feet and the beam that delineates the edge of the aisle hangs down to 8 feet. In the 11 years we have been here, 1 weanling jumped out, 1 person got bitten and we had to replace 3 boards from the one and only boarder who, when wearing his cribbing collar, chews instead ( grrr ). We built our own doors too out of 3/4 inch plywood reinforced with 1x4s and with 2 latches and that are flush to the ground so no little babies get their feet stuck under. They are also 5 feet and we have experimented a few times with different hinges and have settled on 8" strap hinges 4 per door. As my kids are rather clever, some of the doors have 2x4 gate boards in brackets over the front. More than one has let them selves out, somehow reaching the bottom latch or bouncing the door until the latch slides. Brats.

My herd lives out much more than in but when all are in, they seem to be happier hanging out over their walls being social. We have been lucky as my warmbloods and QHs are all pretty laid back. 3 of my boys think it is hysterical to pick up their rubber feed tubs and throw them over the wall when they are done with dinner. I like the ventilation, the social aspect and I don't really have any negatives. The jumper was just 6 or 7 months old and had been weaned for a few months and my DH was doing turn out for me and left him to last as he was ( still is) a chicken about walking 2 at a time. I still don't know how the little bugger got over the 5 foot door and under the 8 foot sill. We went over him with a fine tooth comb, not a scratch on him!!

I always thought we would put in grills but haven't seemed to need them so I really don't think it will happen at this point.

Behind the 8 Ball
Dec. 17, 2010, 10:13 PM
PS - the horses dont jump out but the 4H goats even as 6 week old kids can clear it so we had to put chicken wire from wall up to ceiling. They would run and jump on the side wall banking over to the front wall. I never saw such a sight, as they are white it was like popcorn, we laughed our arses off. Kids these days!

KrazyTBMare
Dec. 18, 2010, 01:20 AM
I did these stall fronts myself for roughly $120 including all lumber and hardware.

(my barn was not done--by a long shot--when that photo was taken 4 years ago, but I had to move the horses in anyway)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1199/1369575538_62cefa4ca9_b.jpg

If I was looking at a boarding barn I probably wouldn't feel comfortable with half-walls. And as an owner I like the stall to be an enclosed place where I can work with the horse and know they won't attempt to escape. JMO.

Let me know if you'd like to see more pics or know what materials i used...

This looks just like my barn. This barn was built before we moved in. It did have solid walls between the stalls but I made them half walls with wire so they could see each other. Ive had my horse in a full sliding metal door stall and the half walls and she is SO much happier and more settled when she can put her head out.

Granted, my horses are at home and arent ones to bite others as you walk by or try to jump out.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r186/krazytbmare1/Rex/MVI_7688002_0001.jpg

This is like 3 yrs old and when we were making the end stall 10x20 and making that part of the aisle in front of it part of the stall.
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r186/krazytbmare1/Barn/2008-04-24007.jpg

SAcres
Dec. 18, 2010, 09:56 AM
Ok everyone has BEAUTIFUL barns! I'm jealous and would lovvvve to see more pictures!

I would be getting the u-channels from RAMM fencing as well.

My isle way is fairly wide, I'd say 12 ft (I know, bad me! I've never actually measured!) also, the stalls are only on one side of the isle, so I'm thinking as long as whoever is walking a horse in the isle is careful, no one should have any trouble.

My horses aren't agressive but I like to be on the safe side, never know when someone will be in a bad mood and decide you look mighty delicious!

My horses are pretty calm, I really can't see one of my guys trying to jump out of a stall, no matter how upset they get. My TB is a scaredy cat and I just don't think he has it in him, my QH probably could, but he never gets uspset in his stall and he is a bit of a lazy fatty, I just don't think he would bother. They both have dutch doors as it is, and no one has thought about jumping to my knowledge.

3'6" is too short now that I think about it, that height is asking for trouble. However 4'-4'6" would be good. My QH isn't exactly tall, and 5' is pushing it, he would be able to see out, but he would really have to raise his neck to get his head out and I'm not sure how good for him it would be considering he has a pretty level topline. My TB is a little over 16 h so he's not exactly a giant either.

I'm never planning on boarding or owning a weanling. Just not going to happen. A yearling maybe, but not as a boarder, as my own ONLY. If I did get a yearling he/she would stay out in all but the worst weather, I don't like babies in stalls. The only reason I keep my guys in at night now is because not all of my fields are fenced in and my pastures won't hold up to 24/7 turnout currently.

SAcres
Dec. 18, 2010, 09:59 AM
ArabDiva and KrazyTBMare what did you use for the wire mesh on the stall fronts? That actually looks like a REALLY great idea. Clean, simple, pretty :D. Just my style.

dmalbone
Dec. 18, 2010, 10:24 AM
These are ours. http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a0da06b3127ccef9a3b9ac944900000030O01Aas3DRq4asQ e3nwQ/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/ I LOVE them for my house, but wouldn't have them in a boarding barn where horses were cross-tied in the aisle, next to each other, etc. They work for me, but I have a 21 yr. old man, and a pony. The pony is finally starting to get more comfortable (taller) to see over the walls. I want to say they're 4 1/2 feet tall. I wanted to personally be able to see over and I'm 5' tall. :) One thing I didn't take into account was the bedding though. Summer is fine, but I've been bedding deeper this winter and it's packing so the 4 1/2' has turned into closer to 3 1/2' I'm still not worried about them because they have dutch doors that open to paddocks, so they're really not accomplishing anything by jumping over the wall.

ridingarts
Dec. 18, 2010, 10:57 AM
Very handsome 1/2 doors dmalbone. Did you build those yourself?

dmalbone
Dec. 18, 2010, 11:04 AM
Very handsome 1/2 doors dmalbone. Did you build those yourself?
Thank you! Yes, I did. Technically DH and I built the first one, then I built the second one myself. I always brag that it was the first time I'd ever used a saw! :lol:

fordtraktor
Dec. 18, 2010, 01:15 PM
One note -- after having the open fronts for so long, I actually don't like my new barn which has grills in the front and solid partitions. I thought I would, but I don't -- the horses don't settle well in the stalls when left in. They can't see each other and feel lonely even when I leave a buddy in with them. It's good for horses to be able to see each other, whatever type of stall you design.

It's really annoying to leave two in the barn for shoes or something and have them yelling their heads off and pacing the stalls because they can't see each other. I have one socialite that will rear up and look over the tops of the stalls next door to see what his neighbor is doing -- and they are at least 8 feet high. THAT's safe. Ugh, I'll take the open fronts any day. Silly horses.

KrazyTBMare
Dec. 18, 2010, 02:07 PM
Well the front part is existing "livestock fence" or whatever it is called. Its a thick gauge wire (you cannot bend it by hand) that is welded. Like the wire on the panel gates. This was on the stalls when I moved here. In between my stalls is actually left over welded wire fence (I got fence for "pets" which has 1"x1" squares instead of 1"x2" squares in the no climb).

Kind of like this..
https://www.fencingdeals.com/images/cattle_panel_sm.jpg

Its like a 12 or 10 gauge wire. I think its called hog panel fence or cattle panel. It does NOT come wrapped but in flat panels as again, it cannot be bent.

KrazyTBMare
Dec. 18, 2010, 02:08 PM
One note -- after having the open fronts for so long, I actually don't like my new barn which has grills in the front and solid partitions. I thought I would, but I don't -- the horses don't settle well in the stalls when left in. They can't see each other and feel lonely even when I leave a buddy in with them. It's good for horses to be able to see each other, whatever type of stall you design.

It's really annoying to leave two in the barn for shoes or something and have them yelling their heads off and pacing the stalls because they can't see each other. I have one socialite that will rear up and look over the tops of the stalls next door to see what his neighbor is doing -- and they are at least 8 feet high. THAT's safe. Ugh, I'll take the open fronts any day. Silly horses.

EXACTLY. I can never go back to closed stalls and neither can my horses.

BoysNightOut
Dec. 18, 2010, 06:00 PM
We went with open front stalls in our small barn (24' x 32'). They are probably almost 5' tall.

We only have 2 horses (one a 13.2h pony), and they get along very well, so I don't really have to worry about them fighting (their stall doors are right next to each other, so they can sniff faces). I think the setup works well for them, as they love people and love to stick their heads out to socialize. The ponies stall is the one by the cross ties, so no problem there with her biting him since she can't reach her head totally over the wall. I really am happy with the open fronts.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs497.ash2/77001_524483848910_90900349_30877723_3906802_n.jpg

During construction.....

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs020.ash2/34386_521735601420_90900349_30791203_4721828_n.jpg

katie+tru
Dec. 18, 2010, 07:35 PM
The only concern one should consider when doing stall fronts (or any wall) with space between the boards is the risk of a horse getting a foot in there. That can't be a pretty situation.

I've only known one horse who jumped out of a stall... after he punched the solid steel grill out first. o_0 He's a stallion and one of the resident trampy mares got herself out one night and paid him a vist. The wall is atleast 4', probably 4'6.

So, to be fair, I've learned that some horses cannot be stopped by grills. But make sure they're strong grills. That livestock fencing does not look like it would hold a very upset, large enough horse for very long. But, if you're just keeping your own guys, who you know well, it may be just fine.

ArabDiva
Dec. 18, 2010, 11:02 PM
ArabDiva and KrazyTBMare what did you use for the wire mesh on the stall fronts? That actually looks like a REALLY great idea. Clean, simple, pretty :D. Just my style.

It is this stuff:
http://www.tractorsupply.com/fencing/feedlot-panels/utility-panel-5-ft-x-16-ft--3610480

I've heard it called hog panel or cattle panel. You need a bolt cutters to cut it down to size. I used wire hammer-in staples to tack it to the posts, and then put more boards over top so that it is sandwiched. I've been really happy with it!

KrazyTBMare
Dec. 18, 2010, 11:28 PM
It is this stuff:
http://www.tractorsupply.com/fencing/feedlot-panels/utility-panel-5-ft-x-16-ft--3610480

I've heard it called hog panel or cattle panel. You need a bolt cutters to cut it down to size. I used wire hammer-in staples to tack it to the posts, and then put more boards over top so that it is sandwiched. I've been really happy with it!

Yup! Thats it! And that is how this stuff is on, with those hammer in staples.

eventersmom
Dec. 19, 2010, 08:39 AM
We have an old barn that we have been rehabbing since we bought our place 2 years ago. So far, we have rebuilt 4 of the 10 stall fronts. We have 5' half walls on all of them and we installed dutch doors. Our intention was to put some sort of grill on the fronts but we haven't gotten that far yet!

We have a 16' aisle and haven't had any issues with horses reaching out to bite humans or other horses but we did have a horse with separation anxiety issues that jumped out of the stall. Twice. We installed a mesh fencing on her stall to back her off and it worked for her. We'll replace it when we're ready to do the entire barn.

Overall, the horses seem to enjoy the ability to hang their heads into the aisle to check out what is going on and I love being able to chuck hay flakes over the walls!

Here are a couple of pics of our stall fronts.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39758202@N06/

Bluey
Dec. 19, 2010, 12:10 PM
We made our portable stalls as what is called "fairground stalls", with horizontal bars, not vertical grills, so we can feed right thru the bars, a horse that gets a leg thru can pull it back and they can't get their heads thru.
There is plenty of ventilation also:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a298/Robintoo/Horses2-20-071650.jpg?t=1292778048

I would warn that around the mid 1970's, when those cattle and pig welded panels first came to market, many horse operations around here used them, but eventually all quit, as those wires are very easy to bend, dislodge and the ends are very dangerous for horses.

A breeding farm had them for three years and finally their vets told them to change the fencing, they did and didn't have not one injury again for several years, when before they had some all the time from that wire.

We used it in some cattle pens and that stuff is just not strong enough and being so stiff, when it bends or breaks loose, it is stiff and dangerous for all.
We have replaced all but one 100' stretch in the cattle pens, where nothing crowds and so is still ok.

If you use that around horses, be very, very sure to double the wood on the ends, so they are not exposed anywhere, or if welding, don't weld the ends, but try to have the ends sandwiched between metal.

As long as that welded wire panel is not bent and the ends are covered, it is ok.
If it ever comes loose, take it down immediately, before someone gets hurt on it.

I think that regular mesh woven wire, the small kind that bends easily and is wrapped, not welded to each other, safer, if you are going to use wire around horses.

One local vet has one barn where all the stalls in it are made out of 6' heavy duty chain link panels, the fronts of the stalls all one big, long gate.
In many year, he has never had an injury there, even with trashing horses.

ayrabz
Dec. 19, 2010, 01:01 PM
I would love (!) to have the half wall stalls----I DID insist on half wall solid and grilled top half, both on the inside walls and on the exterior front....for horses to settle and view each other . But, I need the grill tops. my 'fronts' have both: a swing feeder door that can open, as well as a dutch door top (that has grills in it if closed) that can open.
So, I CAN open the fronts up very well ----but when I leave the barn, and no one is 'there'...I can close them up and rest assured no one is going to panic and 'pop over'. I have a 'stressful' boy, who, if we are EVER (!) on showgrounds with half doors, I have to jerry rig a stall guard/etc...across the top to be able to leave him and head to the hotel/wherever to sleep at night! While not all horses are like that (!) what he taught me, is: plan for that security, but with the 'open it up' availability when wanted, and you won't be sorry.

spacytracy
Dec. 19, 2010, 05:55 PM
Mine are extremely similar to ArabDiva's.

This was in the still-building stage:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56/spacytracy05/200911%20-%20Stall%20Building/P1170843.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56/spacytracy05/P1180477.jpg

I have never had any problems but I also have docile horses - one's a mini. My other pony likes to pull his halter off and throw it on the floor, but other than that, he is fine.

Bluey
Dec. 19, 2010, 06:34 PM
One friend built his portable stalls out of 12' by 6' solid precast concrete sides, the front are standard 12' pipe gates.
It is easy to feed right thru those gates or over them or hang buckets or hay feeders off them, or open the gate into the inside, against the wall and have the whole front open to strip the stall out with a bobcat.
He can lift one wall between stalls with the tractor and make a 12'x 24' stall out of any of them.

Works great for him and his horses, has not had not one horse hurt there, horses seem to like his barn very well, are happy and relaxed in there.

There are all kinds of barns out there, are they.

SAcres
Dec. 21, 2010, 09:34 AM
Thanks everyone for the input.
I don't think I'm going to go with the half walls without grills. I plan to board other peoples' horses and I can understand why a future boarder may not be interested in a place they felt wasn't as safe. I don't see a real risk of either of my horses jumping over half walls, even if they were only 3'6" or something, but obivously some boarders would see it as a huge risk. It would also be inconvenient if I ever did decide to board a horse that was agressive or I needed to keep a horse by itself for whatever reason.

Thanks everyone so much for your pictures and advice! Everyone has beautiful barns and I'm very jealous!

dmalbone
Dec. 21, 2010, 10:28 AM
Thanks everyone for the input.
I don't think I'm going to go with the half walls without grills. I plan to board other peoples' horses and I can understand why a future boarder may not be interested in a place they felt wasn't as safe. I don't see a real risk of either of my horses jumping over half walls, even if they were only 3'6" or something, but obivously some boarders would see it as a huge risk. It would also be inconvenient if I ever did decide to board a horse that was agressive or I needed to keep a horse by itself for whatever reason.

Thanks everyone so much for your pictures and advice! Everyone has beautiful barns and I'm very jealous!You can also do the grills, but leave the doors as half doors. I think when there's less of an expanse that's open, they're not as likely to see it as an invitation to sail over! They even have sliders with drop down grills on the stalls. I would not want to board my horse in a "grilled up box" now that I have half walls! Just my input though... do what's best for you!

Dalemma
Dec. 21, 2010, 12:27 PM
I don't like half stalls.....as horses can jump out.....there was a horse in a neighbouring town whos horse(stallion) tried to jump out and ended up straddling the door for the entire night and ended up terribly swollen.....no body was sure if he would recover to breed again.....but he did.

My mare was being teased and was behind a wall.....it was shaped like a "T" ....mare on one side stallion on the other and me holding my mare at the top of the "T".......well my mare got scared and leapt over a 5' wall and ended up getting her back end hung up.......we had to call for emergency help and two men ended up pushing the wall down as she hung from it.....she walked away with only a bit of bruising......but boy was that scarey.

I want to know my horses are safely behind a stall wall/door.

Dalemma

x
Dec. 21, 2010, 12:35 PM
I have half-walls on the fronts at 4 1/2 foot tall, and the stall doors are the same, in my barn. Horses do like to put their heads out. Yes, they do sometimes get into snits with each other around the corners. We try to not put enemies next to each other. We cannot use blanket bars on the fronts of the stalls because the horses will take the blankets off. If they can reach the horse on the x-ties they will try biting; if they can't they will play with the x-ties and annoy the horse tied there. It is easier feeding and watering, though. I only once in many years and dozens and dozens of horses had one try to jump out...we wound up grilling that stall. I would prefer to have all the stalls grilled, with a dutch door type grill over the stall door so that I could leave it open if I chose...but what I have has worked fine for many years.

ayrabz
Dec. 22, 2010, 06:49 AM
This shows the dutch door type/with grills on top, but I can also open the top half completely, too. (This door goes from 'end' of aisle directly into the run in which is in sacrifice area that adjoins turn outs/arena)

http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt25/ayrabz/Farmette%20Completion%20Sep%2009/00000025.jpg

This one shows first stall with both top half and feeder door open

http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt25/ayrabz/Farmette%20Completion%20Sep%2009/00000027.jpg

This one shows both stall fronts with feeders/dutch closed (aisleway is now matted edge to edge in interlocking stall mats, too)

http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt25/ayrabz/Farmette%20Completion%20Sep%2009/00000023.jpg

And this shows top and bottom dutch open into stall (and interlocking mats)

http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt25/ayrabz/Farmette%20Completion%20Sep%2009/00000020-1.jpg

no fancy stain and hardware, but we're still workin' on it! :o)

SidesaddleRider
Dec. 22, 2010, 08:29 AM
We have 4'6" T&G front stall walls with no grills in our barn. The top board is covered with white metal, so they can't chew on it. We also have header boards, so the open spacing is only about 3'. The side walls are 7'. Five stalls are inside the barn, with two in an addition on the back of the barn. The three stalls on the left in the barn have dutch doors in the back wall, which leads to a 20'x60' bluestone paddock. The other two inner stalls have a window with a grill in the back wall.The aisle in the barn is 12' wide. All of the inner stalls have black mesh doors with yolks.

Knock on wood, but we have had no problem with horses ever attempting to jump out of the stalls into the aisle (and some have gotten pretty agitated). One horse is mouthy, and will chew on ANYTHING you put near him, so we make sure the tack trunk and any blankets are out of his reach; the only thing he can get ahold of is a cross-tie. We mostly do our grooming/tack up in the wash stall or in a stall (each one has a tie ring and plenty of light), but we have not had a problem when we cross-tie in the aisle. The horses all go out together, so one buddy make poke another, but they don't try to bite each other.

lostkiwi
Dec. 22, 2010, 11:27 AM
We converted an old dairy barn and created 5 new stalls along a 70 foot section. We used rough cut hemlock 2x12s and 4x4s as our corner studs. The side walls go all the way up and the back walls are stone with each stall having at least one 2x2' window. The fronts are 1/2 walls up to 5 feet and the beam that delineates the edge of the aisle hangs down to 8 feet.
I always thought we would put in grills but haven't seemed to need them so I really don't think it will happen at this point.

We are converting an old cow barn right now...and doing exactly the same thing. We are a small family barn, on a tight remodel budget.
Using 2" thick rough cut Oak (that our local mill custom milled for us) for walls that are 5ft high in front and 7ft between stalls (with grill). Not sure if we will add grill to front walls yet but like the idea of a wire grill...for air circulation and let the light through. The barn is really light and airy now and would love it to stay that way.
I am using mesh gates for door openings that can open in both directions (in and out of stall). LOVE these gates. Used them in the old barn and never had an issue. Look nice too. High enough so horse can't reach out at passing horse but horse can still see out and be part of the goings on in the barn.

IfWishesWereHorses
Dec. 22, 2010, 02:26 PM
My stables are without grills, and they are so light and airy and the horses love the outlook. I had a horse come in from Hong Kong who I was warned was a horrendous box walker. well he never did it at our place, was super relaxed - I put it down to the open plan style stabling we have.

No horse has ever jumped out (touch wood!), and I have swinging half doors on the front, not sliding ones. Height wise, I think its about 4ft6 high? anything lower I think might be an issue!

Trevelyan96
Dec. 22, 2010, 10:11 PM
Mine is a bit rustic, but solid amish built. We have 12 x 12 stalls that are made with 2x8 rough sawn oak dropped into channels between the stalls up to 48". We designed it this way so that I could easily remove a wall if I wanted a foaling stall. Along the top of those we ran a 3x3 board, with another set 3' above that. Used a hole saw to drill holes every 4" or so in those and used large conduit piping cut to fit in the holes as grilles. Fronts are nailed in instead of in channels, but have the same conduit grilles. Sliding doors inside are made the same way. Outside doors are solid dutch doors.

Keeps the barn nice and open, the walls are super strong, and its easily dismantled if I ever need to double the size of one of the stalls for a long layup or foaling.

fordtraktor
Dec. 23, 2010, 08:46 AM
Just thinking about this thread, I remembered that I have a pic of my dad's stalls that I was talking about. You can see them in the background here. Keep in mind that the stalls drop down about four inches from the outside to the bedding, even more to the base of the stalls, so it is actually higher than it looks from the aisle (which is paved with concrete blocks with brick trim, hence the height) (and I LOVE that -- not slippery like concrete, wears well, looks pretty, inexpensive):

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2087410290053911905sPflDJ

The stalls are not super-fancy but the horses all love the barn. I wish the barn on my farm was the same -- it is "fancier" but not as horse-friendly with the grills. :(

All the stalls are rough oak. We built it in 1992 -- it still looks pretty darn good to be almost 20 years old. We don't have any real chewers.

It also shows the bracing that is advisable if you want to do open fronts. It's better to have a "frame" for them like this with 4 x 4 than just the half wall and nothing else, does that make sense? It gives stability for you to hang your door and will keep the whole thing from sagging. If you don't the horses would be able to push against the door/half wall, I would think, and it would be less stable.

My dad built houses for a living and so while the barn isn't fancy, it is structurally very sound.

Simbalism
Dec. 24, 2010, 01:11 AM
I have been at one barn that had half walls on the stalls. It was an old barn and the 2 stalls were at the back of the barn. The main part of the barn was elevated a bit off the ground and had a wood floor. The stalls were therefore lower because they were on ground level. The doors to the stall were off the outside wall. It was easy to feed the horses, as the feed buckets were hung on the wall inside the stall. Because the main section of the barn was higher there never seemed to be an issue with a horse trying to get into the "barn". I have been at barns where horses jumped out over a half door.