PDA

View Full Version : farm owner's insurance premiums and certain dog breeds

Phaxxton
Dec. 17, 2010, 11:17 AM
I am not trying to start a debate about insurance coverage of certain dog breeds. That could be a topic unto itself. ;)

I am, however, interested to hear from those who have breeds that increase homeowner's insurance. I know the list may vary from company to company, but the bottom line is that some companies will not write a policy if you have certain dog breeds, while other companies will charge a higher premium for certain breeds. As someone who plans to own one of these breeds, I was curious to know how much your insurance premium increased when you added your dog.

I am going through the quote process now to find out if my insurance will write a policy if we add a dog(s), and am just curious to know what to expect as far as premium increase. (I know it varies - just looking for ballpark amounts.)

FWIW, the breeds I am mainly concerned with are Doberman Pinschers and German Shepherd Dogs.

Thanks in advance!

jherold
Dec. 17, 2010, 11:22 AM
I have Shepherds and State Farm. When I bought the policy 16 yrs ago, they asked what kind of dogs and if they had ever bitten anyone and if they were attack trained. The answers were "no" and "no". The homeowners policy was issued with no further questions. It's been 16 yrs and they've never asked anything again. I wasn't charged any more for the dogs. It's a homeowners policy on a 5 acre private farm. Don't know if that makes any difference.

wendy
Dec. 17, 2010, 11:53 AM
I have travellers and they have never even asked me if I had a dog or what breed(s) it might be. I would refuse to use a company that used breed as the basis for their decision; they should be going purely on the dog's personal history.

pupakin
Dec. 17, 2010, 12:27 PM
With very few exceptions, (I have been in the insurance industry for 20+ years and have yet to come across a carrier that does not have a list of some sort) all insurance companies have a dog list that they will not write coverage over. They may refuse to write, write at a higher premium or exclude coverage for damages the dog does (i.e. it bites someone and they sue, your on your own).

By the way Wendy - Travelers does have a dog list.

cyndi
Dec. 17, 2010, 12:30 PM
I have always been asked if there are dogs on the property. For me the answer is no. I suspect that some insurance companies will charge more if you have ANY dogs, since, like a pool, that is yet another 'risk' that they are insuring.

clanter
Dec. 17, 2010, 06:54 PM
GSD, professionally trained protection dog...$1,000/year rider to policy...Nationwide

crosscreeksh
Dec. 17, 2010, 07:17 PM
20 years ago we were at a big TB training center in NC. We were part of the corp that owner it, but we lived there. Over 5 years we were robbed 14 times from air compressers to over $30,000 worth of tack and race horse equipment. One nasty stormy Jan. night someone went into my DH and my private stable and stole a 2 month old mini donkey colt. Obviously a "special order theft" since no one but employees and visitors knew he was there. Long story short. We did get the baby back since he had fallen out of an open truck bed when they spun out on the highway. After that incident the corp took action...a 500 foot photo electric beam that shot across the whole front entrance to the farm (200 acres with 3 miles of road frontage - non-secureable) was installed and a trained Personal Protection trained GSD was bought. (a junk yard dog would not work as we had 4 board fence!!) The insurance company never made one peep or raised the premium one cent!! We also never lost a single item ever again. Guess it depends on your location and insurance co.

SimpleSimon
Dec. 17, 2010, 07:24 PM
I have a breed that is on 'The List'. We adopted the last one from our local shelter. As a condition of the adoption, the shelter required a letter from the insurance company that provides our homeowners insurance that they would not drop us because of the dog.

We have State Farm. The do not have a breed bias. They will cover - with no additional charge - dogs on 'The List'. If the dog bites someone - then they may refuse or charge additional dollars for continued coverage.

Phaxxton
Dec. 17, 2010, 07:57 PM
Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the responses. I played phone tag with my insurance agent today, so hopefully I'll get some answers on Monday. :)

Silvercrown90
Dec. 17, 2010, 11:45 PM
I got State Farm for my homeowner's insurance when I bought this property in 1985. I owned 2 dogs at the time -- one male protection-trained GSD and one male Great Dane. I don't ever recall that State Farm questioned me about the dogs. The agent came out to inspect the property, and the only thing I remember that she questioned was the fireplace and the log-burning stove in the basement, and whether or not I rented my horses out for trail rides -- Not! Those dogs are long gone now, and I have had many dogs since that time and still have dogs. State Farm has never asked about dogs. I have been with them for over 25 years. I have never had any claims, and my insurance is reasonable.

jacksmom
Dec. 18, 2010, 12:33 PM
we have a policy through Farmers on our 25 hobby farm. just recently made some additions to it and our agent came by to take photos. while petting my aussie, she told me that they won't even write policies for folks with pitbulls, pitty crosses, or rotties. if she comes to photo a property and finds them there, she immediately cancels the policy application.

rooroo8
Dec. 18, 2010, 01:09 PM
I have Amica insurance, they were more interested in finding out if the dog had a history of biting, any training (ie formal obedience training) and if the dog was spayed or neutered. We have border collies and labs so I guess the pit bull thing never came up.

JanM
Dec. 18, 2010, 05:39 PM
It's apparently very common for insurance agents to photograph properties these days. My agent is the same one that I was with in my previous house, and since I now live almost 3 hours away they had a local agent take the pictures, and used the appraisal color pictures too (they had to be color).

They did say they don't insure properties with a history of animals that have bite histories, and I think there were some breed restrictions (as I recall they were larger guard breeds like Pressa Canario that I've never even seen in real life).

vtdobes
Dec. 22, 2010, 12:08 PM
I have Allstate for my homeowners. They asked what kind of dog I have (Doberman) and if she had ever bitten anyone (never!); no problem and no extras fees at all.

wendy
Dec. 22, 2010, 12:18 PM
By the way Wendy - Travelers does have a dog list.

well, they've never once asked if I have any dogs? maybe they only look at their list if you have to put in a claim for a biting dog?

RooMB4
Dec. 22, 2010, 12:26 PM
I'm a volunteer with a rescue group of a breed that is frequently on "the list". Here is something one of the members sent to us from her personal experience...(this info is a couple years old)

Allstate: doesn't provide insurance for a household that has more than three dogs, only one of which can be a German shepherd or Doberman pinscher; company keeps a list of restricted breeds and will not write or renew policies of homeowners who keep those breeds.

Liberty Mutual: keeps a list of restricted breeds and will not renew.

Nationwide: keeps a list of restricted breeds and will not renew.

PEMCO: considers breed, along with other dog-ownership factors, when deciding whether to insure a homeowner.

Safeco: keeps a list of restricted breeds and will not write new policies.

State Farm: has no restrictions regarding breed.

On the same subject : a little tidbit of advice - I read somewhere to never put up signage on your fences, gates, etc., warming people of the danger of dogs you own (beware of dog, dogs on duty, etc). Essentially it's admitting that you own a dangerous dog. Better: a sign that says "dogs at play".

And finally, one of the best precautions you can take is enrolling your dog in a formal obedience class, or better yet, certify your dog as a "Canine Good Citizen" with the AKC. There's nothing better than a professional organization backing you up with a diploma saying you own a "good dog", should you ever have charges brought against you or the threat of your insurance being canceled if your dog bites someone.

sisu27
Dec. 22, 2010, 01:17 PM
Phaxxton!! No Dobie yet?!?!?

I live in Canada and have never had any discussion with insurance companies about dogs and we have had Dobes (at one point 3 in one house!) for over 20 years. Perhaps it is the honour system in Canada :lol:

Get your Dobie!!!

Phaxxton
Dec. 22, 2010, 01:37 PM
Phaxxton!! No Dobie yet?!?!?

I live in Canada and have never had any discussion with insurance companies about dogs and we have had Dobes (at one point 3 in one house!) for over 20 years. Perhaps it is the honour system in Canada :lol:

Get your Dobie!!!

I am picking him up next week -- have been trying to PM you, but your inbox is full. Clean it out and PM me for details!!

Phaxxton
Dec. 22, 2010, 01:40 PM
Update - We decided on a Doberman Pinscher pup. :) I spoke to our insurance agent and Dobermans aren't specifically excluded on our policy, nor will they make the premium go up. In fact, our agent told me she owns dobermans herself!

She did say we may have to fill out a dog questionnaire when our pup is older (12-18 months), but that just asks about temperment and makes sure he hasn't bitten anyone.

And the GREAT news is that we are picking up our dobe pup next week!

Paula
Dec. 23, 2010, 10:17 AM
Our home owners does care about breeds and has a restriction list. Earlier this year they sent an inspector to our property for an assessment (they do once a year) and he was asking about our dog (who he met) and I kiddingly said he was a furry pit bull. Then I went on to say no he was actually a clumber spaniel. Well the guy took pictures and then went back to the office and two weeks later we received notice they were canceling our policy because of the pit bull! I had to get letters from the vet and send copies of the dogs papers to show that the dog was extremely gentle and in fact not a pit bull to get our policy reinstated. Moral of the story - don't joke with the insurance adjuster. This is what my dog looked like btw http://www.finnskeeper.net/mymuse.html how they could seriously think he was a pitbull I will never know....

Paddys Mom
Dec. 23, 2010, 12:14 PM
ILiberty Mutual: keeps a list of restricted breeds and will not renew.

Yep! I had Liberty Mutual for 10 years with never a claim or late payment. I called to update some information and casually mentioned our new dog. She asked what breed and I said, "Oh, we don't know as he's from the pound, but we suspect Greyhound, lab, shepherd cross." She told me she couldn't insure us anymore!! :eek: :mad:

And I can tell you, this dog is more tolerant than my cats, my horse, my pony or my donkey!!

Doctracy
Dec. 23, 2010, 12:37 PM
We have USAA. Have a Doberman female that they are aware of. No problem, but it's not farm insurance.
You're going to love your Doberman, they are so smart and sweet. Mine has Velcro attached to my pants.

Update - We decided on a Doberman Pinscher pup. :) I spoke to our insurance agent and Dobermans aren't specifically excluded on our policy, nor will they make the premium go up. In fact, our agent told me she owns dobermans herself!

She did say we may have to fill out a dog questionnaire when our pup is older (12-18 months), but that just asks about temperment and makes sure he hasn't bitten anyone.

And the GREAT news is that we are picking up our dobe pup next week!

Arizona DQ
Dec. 23, 2010, 01:15 PM
Allstate: doesn't provide insurance for a household that has more than three dogs, only one of which can be a German shepherd or Doberman pinscher; company keeps a list of restricted breeds and will not write or renew policies of homeowners who keep those breeds.

I have been with ALLSTATE for over 20 years. I currently have 11 dogs, but have been up to 18 from time to time. I have an AmStaf cross, a Rhodesian Ridgeback and the rest are dachshunds (that I breed, train and show). I have never been asked about dogs, period. Of course, I live on the Mexican border, so maybe we get "special treatment."..:confused:

LaurieB
Dec. 23, 2010, 01:17 PM
Our home owners does care about breeds and has a restriction list. Earlier this year they sent an inspector to our property for an assessment (they do once a year) and he was asking about our dog (who he met) and I kiddingly said he was a furry pit bull. Then I went on to say no he was actually a clumber spaniel. Well the guy took pictures and then went back to the office and two weeks later we received notice they were canceling our policy because of the pit bull! I had to get letters from the vet and send copies of the dogs papers to show that the dog was extremely gentle and in fact not a pit bull to get our policy reinstated. Moral of the story - don't joke with the insurance adjuster. This is what my dog looked like btw http://www.finnskeeper.net/mymuse.html how they could seriously think he was a pitbull I will never know....

Those are the most wondeful pictures! And your insurance adjuster must be one of the dumbest people in the world. :lol:

IdahoRider
Dec. 23, 2010, 04:18 PM
I have two German Shepherd Dogs, trained in obedience, tracking and agility. We have Farm Bureau and have never had issues with our dogs.
Sheilah

pezk
Dec. 23, 2010, 05:37 PM
I would think farm ins would be different and more lenient than reg homeowners. I own 2 dobes. Had the same ins co for 25yrs. Never once did they ask about owning a dog. They sent around an adjuster looking at old policies. he saw the dogs in the window and our policy was promptly canceled. then they couldn't understand why we canceled our auto ins with the same them. LOL. The next ins co only cared if you owned a pit bull. 4yrs later they won't cover any dog. Fine with me. At least I'm not being discriminated against in favor of the golden ret.
Of course they cancel policies for lots of reasons. Dogs are only one.
As far as State Farm - I have a friend who was going to insure her house with state farm since her car was insured with them. They told her that they would not insure any house that was built prior to 1965? unless every single thing/system in the house could meet current bldg code. Almost impossible to do with an old house. So dogs are only one excuse.

Silvercrown90
Dec. 23, 2010, 05:50 PM
My house was built earlier than 1965, and I have had State Farm since 1985. I also have my auto insurance with them. I have also had horses on the property all that time, and have never been without at least 2 dogs, all power breeds. If they changed their policy with respect to the age of the house, they haven't let me know. I speak with my insurance agent several times per year as she tries to sell me more and more insurance -- life, umbrella policies, long-term health care, etc.

I also have never had a claim with them for over 25 years on either the auto or the homeowner's policy.

It pays to shop around obviously.

Clarion
Dec. 23, 2010, 06:02 PM

Oh, so adorable! I'm so sorry for your loss. He looks like he was a super dog!

Phaxxton
Dec. 23, 2010, 06:04 PM

While I understand how annoying and frustrating that must have been, I cannot help but :lol::lol: at your insurance adjuster's lack of humor and sheer stupidity.

What a beautiful dog, btw!

Paula
Dec. 23, 2010, 07:53 PM
Thanks! Darcy was the best dog ever! I will miss him always! I was totally amazed that the guy took me seriously about him being a pit bull. My vet was flabergasted when I had to get them to write a letter saying he was not a pit bull. And seriously, the adjuster had taken several pictures of the dog, and the insurance company said they had them, how could anybody not be able to tell this was a spaniel??? I don't think there has ever been a reported attack by a Clumber Spaniel!!! The one bright note, if you can say that, out of the loss of Darcy has been that I was able to adopt his littermate Henry and his buddy Wilson after his death. When I called the breeder to tell her of Darcy's death she told me she had Henry and Wilson in as fosters after thier prior owner's home had been foreclosed on (as a responsible breeder she always takes dogs back for any reason). Its hard to find homes for ten and eleven year old dogs, but I just knew it was meant to be and Henry and Wilson came to live with me. So here are my new boys http://www.finnskeeper.net/henryandwilson.html
And no I haven't called the insurer to let them know about the new dogs! They might have those dangerous Sussex on thier restricted list :)

Phaxxton
Dec. 23, 2010, 08:38 PM
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, but your new boys are beautiful. And what lucky dogs to have found their way to you! :yes:

foggybok
Dec. 23, 2010, 10:32 PM
I have been with ALLSTATE for over 20 years. I currently have 11 dogs, but have been up to 18 from time to time. I have an AmStaf cross, a Rhodesian Ridgeback and the rest are dachshunds (that I breed, train and show). I have never been asked about dogs, period. Of course, I live on the Mexican border, so maybe we get "special treatment."..:confused:

When we were shopping for insurance, State Farm said we could not have more than 3 horses, so we went to Allstate and asked about the horses. They said no problem, but do you have any dogs? We said we had a Border Collie and they said that was OK as long as we didn't have more than one of the same breed or more than 2 total. So I guess it varies by state quite a bit. Here, they would not insure your herd....

Medicine Wheel (Ogilvie)
Dec. 28, 2010, 01:10 PM
Ohhh, Paula
Clumbers are incredible dogs. I've worked with a few. Your new-found loves look like they might even still want to be bird dogs - good points!!!

appaloosalady
Dec. 28, 2010, 01:27 PM
we have a policy through Farmers on our 25 hobby farm. just recently made some additions to it and our agent came by to take photos. while petting my aussie, she told me that they won't even write policies for folks with pitbulls, pitty crosses, or rotties. if she comes to photo a property and finds them there, she immediately cancels the policy application.

That must be a personal decision on the part of the franchise owner. I have had Farmers for 18 years and they don't care what kind of dogs I have. As far as they are concerned a dog is a dog. At one point I had 3 of the top 10 "bad dogs", didn't make any difference at all to my policy.

CHS
Dec. 28, 2010, 09:15 PM
I am not trying to start a debate about insurance coverage of certain dog breeds. That could be a topic unto itself. ;)

I am, however, interested to hear from those who have breeds that increase homeowner's insurance. I know the list may vary from company to company, but the bottom line is that some companies will not write a policy if you have certain dog breeds, while other companies will charge a higher premium for certain breeds. As someone who plans to own one of these breeds, I was curious to know how much your insurance premium increased when you added your dog.

I am going through the quote process now to find out if my insurance will write a policy if we add a dog(s), and am just curious to know what to expect as far as premium increase. (I know it varies - just looking for ballpark amounts.)

FWIW, the breeds I am mainly concerned with are Doberman Pinschers and German Shepherd Dogs.

Thanks in advance!

Our agent asked how long we've had dogs, the breeds and if we had ever had a claim against us for dog issues. In 20+ years of owning homes and dogs of all breeds that answer was no. Our policy is a little higher than "normal" but that's because of the horses/stallion. My agent lives near me and knows all my dogs well, even Indy and I've never had any issues.

MistyBlue
Dec. 28, 2010, 09:24 PM
Little OT question:
Paula....looked through your photos. I had to see the Fjords, love those!
Anywho, on the first Beauty page...what breed is the grey on the head/shoulders shot, the photo on the right, second one down next to the headshot of the black bay?

Such a fantastically interesting head, expression and eye on that horse.