PDA

View Full Version : "L" judge program... worth it?

Boomer
Dec. 17, 2010, 10:42 AM
I'm trying to find some ways to supplement my desk-job income to have a little extra money for my horse habit.

Is doing the "L" judge program worth it-- how much can a "L" make judging schooling shows? Know the upfront cost will run around $2500.

I really enjoy scribing and thought judging might be a good supplemental income as I would not be doing it all the time like adding a part-time job would be.

I've got my scores thru 2nd Level, so I qualify to do it.

Sonesta
Dec. 17, 2010, 11:04 AM
L judges are limited to schooling shows and in our area are paid $300-400 per day for judging. If you also ride and compete, you are not likely to be judging more than a few times a year, so I don't see it as being a money-maker.

But you will learn a great deal. I enjoyed it very much.

Bronte
Dec. 17, 2010, 11:13 AM
Wow, you pay $300 to $400 for an L
We only pay $150 to $250 for an r

Not a pay maker in Canada!!

ACP
Dec. 17, 2010, 11:51 AM
I think $250 to $300 for an 'r' is normal around here, in northwest Georgia.

NJRider
Dec. 17, 2010, 12:08 PM
We pay $125-$250 a day for an "L" in our area (MO/OK/AR) plus mileage which is 50 cents a mile, and our judges travel average 100-175 miles one way. So the total check they get is usually $400 or so.

MysticOakRanch
Dec. 17, 2010, 01:43 PM
I would say, from an EDUCATION standpoint, it is worth it - great education, gives you a real understanding of how scoring and judging works. If you don't already come in with an educated eye, you'll leave with a better eye - but if you come in with some education to start with, you'll leave even better off... But as a money maker? I don't think many judges go into judging for money, and as a Learner (you aren't really a judge until you go through the USEF r program and pass), the money is not great. Around here (Nor-Cal), most Ls get about $200 to $250, lunch, and sometimes mileage. The most I've charged anyone is $300 (total) and that included 200+ miles of driving. The hours are long - I figure I'm going to drive at least 2 or 3 hours for many shows, plus judge for 7 to 9 hours.

The program involves a lot of hours and additional costs too - travel costs (unless you are lucky to have one in your back yard), hours sitting & scribing with judges, homework and suggested reading, practice judging, etc. So if you are going into it purely for money, I'd say pass. But if the education aspect appeals to you, then worth considering.

Velvet
Dec. 17, 2010, 02:12 PM
Unlike the Instructor Certification program, this one is actually worthwhile to attend. Becoming an approved judge is not always necessary, but it often does count for more. :yes:

CapitolDesign
Dec. 17, 2010, 03:01 PM
It is a BIG commitment, but very educational. Look at all of the costs you will have before you sign up, including:

Program fees
Costs for the binder, copying any test sheets and study materials, and other reading material the USDF suggests.
Hotel, Transport and House/Pet Sitters for the 6 weekends AND the scribing/sitting hours.
Cost to leave your job for the weekends away.
Cost to keep your horse(s) in work while you are away.

I just finished my L last year and was able to compete my own horse 2x and had to skip the championships for my final exam. I am sure he would have moved up to Fourth Level if I had been home and able to focus more on our training.