PDA

View Full Version : Baby Goats in the House

aspenlucas
Dec. 17, 2010, 08:54 AM
Well I just called my mom to tell her we had to bring them in the house. I think she thinks I'm certifiable....she may be right. Vet was out last night for our buck who we all thought had a blockage, but he was just fine. Showed her the doe we thought would kid soon.

She left and we noticed the smallest of the three does was streaming, she freshened at 9PM. Dried off the kids who looked good. She is hubby's doe and I encouraged him to get up and check on them. He didn't til 4:30. Came in the house and said "shouldn't they be standing by now?" I shot up out of bed.

Walked out to the barn and he said "well they sure are boisterous". We get out there and the doeling is flat as a pancake on the stall floor, buckling can hardly lift his head. We milk the mom (Thank goodness she was a saint). And bring them in. I get Nutra Drench in them and a "little" milk. I figure at this point they are frozen.

So they are in a play pen in our kitchen with hot water bottles. The boy just stood an hour ago! and when I wake them up now they are screaming and eating a bit more. With sucking reflexes. Please jingle and pray for them. I told them we have to get through the tough days and then good days follow. We just struggled with finding room for our Christmas tree, and now there is a playpen in the kitchen. :(

We just saved a barn kitten five weeks ago that was going to die. Mommy rejected them and her three siblings all died. I'm such a sucker and wouldn't change anything. Thank goodness for work from home day today! I'll try to get pictures of them later. They sure are cute! Pure Nubians, super duper long ears!

MistyBlue
Dec. 17, 2010, 09:14 AM
Huh, and I think people who don't bring half frozen animals in the house are certifiable. :winkgrin:

You, your fine. :yes: I'd have done the same and so would just about everyone else on the BB here.

Tell your mom you're protecting your investment. And then enjoy all the baby-cuteness.

And where the heck are the photos???

farmgirl598
Dec. 17, 2010, 09:49 AM
Huh, and I think people who don't bring half frozen animals in the house are certifiable.

I AGREE COMPLETELY!!!! It's people like you that make the world a MUCH better place. I would do the same in your shoes......

PRS
Dec. 17, 2010, 10:00 AM
I would do the same thing! I could not leave animals outside to freeze if I could help it. I couldn't live with myself. Pictures?

fivehorses
Dec. 17, 2010, 10:47 AM
If I shared some of the lengths I go, well, I don't. I learned a long time ago, most of the world does not understand why your horse needs warm water, or animals need to be in the house or will die, etc
But, I will say, I find great comfort on these type of boards, because instead of being considered a nut, I find the company of other nuts just like me. Good for you..those babies will be the best when they grow up.:yes: thanks to your care.

chemteach
Dec. 17, 2010, 11:12 AM
Good for you for bringing them into the house. Hope they all prosper!

Calvincrowe
Dec. 17, 2010, 11:16 AM
Sounds totally normal to me!:lol: I think folk who raise animals (livestock or otherwise) know that sometimes you have to do what is necessary to save your investment, so to speak.

Ask folks who raise sheep...lots of bummer lambs begin life in the house.

Somermist
Dec. 17, 2010, 11:18 AM
Oh, now I miss my goat. Hope they are doing well. How about some pictures?!:D

dawglover
Dec. 17, 2010, 11:33 AM
What a good goat mommy you are.
I raised a pair in the house once. Boy they can sure get vocal if you're more than 30 seconds late with their bottles!

carolprudm
Dec. 17, 2010, 11:35 AM
One of my does kidded this morning. Here is my kid warmer
http://picasaweb.google.com/carolp3231/Goats#5493946031383383106
not today's single

Bluey
Dec. 17, 2010, 12:13 PM
You got to do what you got to do, right?;)

We still have teeth marks on the edge of the book case in the living room, where a dogied foal spent the first days of it's life one very cold early spring.:)

Calvincrowe
Dec. 17, 2010, 12:41 PM
Carolprudm-- your post should come with a warning of cuteness overload! That is adorable! Is that a long-haired Dachshund in there with those babies??

Oh...this thread makes me miss my goats, too. I wonder if Mr. CC would go for goats, since he won't let me get mini donks.

aspenlucas
Dec. 17, 2010, 01:11 PM
carolprudm, LOVE it! My dog has been helping me. :) He's a long haired whippet, then I have the kitten we rescued from the barn helping me too. *sigh*. The buckling is standing and doing wonderful! The doeling is sitting up now and both are nursing well. I think we will make it. I have talked to a lot of goat friends and am headed to get heating lamps tonight (we may have another doe kidding very soon, like today, ugh). So we are going to get prepared!

Mom is calling for babies, so I think about 2PM when it's the warmest, I may sneak them out and see if momma will accept them and then take them out various times during the day.

mjrtango93
Dec. 17, 2010, 01:18 PM
Hey you gotta do what you gotta do. When we had 2 young lambs they lived in a playpen in my trainers kitchen because it was too cold outside for them. Our cattleman found a newborn calf one year as mom died during birth, and all the other momma's had babies so wouldn't take him. He drove around with that calf in the backseat of his truck for a couple weeks, taking him home so sleep in the kitchen at night. And that was just a beef cow, so was really impressed the cattleman went to such lengths for him.

Calvincrowe
Dec. 17, 2010, 01:22 PM
Well, that beef calf might eventually be worth hundreds of dollars, so a wise cattleman is what I'd call him:).

Good news on your baby goats, OP! Jingling quietly for their continued improvement.

HPFarmette
Dec. 17, 2010, 01:32 PM
We've got our priorities straight. :yes:

RiverBendPol
Dec. 17, 2010, 02:32 PM
carolprudm, LOVE it! My dog has been helping me. :) He's a long haired whippet, then I have the kitten we rescued from the barn helping me too. *sigh*. The buckling is standing and doing wonderful! The doeling is sitting up now and both are nursing well. I think we will make it. I have talked to a lot of goat friends and am headed to get heating lamps tonight (we may have another doe kidding very soon, like today, ugh). So we are going to get prepared!

Mom is calling for babies, so I think about 2PM when it's the warmest, I may sneak them out and see if momma will accept them and then take them out various times during the day.

That seems like a lot of work. Why not just take the dam (?) doe (?) MOTHER into the house????????? I'm getting pretty desperate for goaties and yes, they would most deff be in my house-newborn and freezing or NOT!:winkgrin:

WHERE are your photos??

Long Spot
Dec. 17, 2010, 02:37 PM
What's wrong with you?!
YOu write this and don't post pics?!

If I had goats, they might be in the house too, regardless of the weather. :D

ridingarts
Dec. 17, 2010, 03:22 PM
I went to a Christmas party the other night where there were two baby goaties in the guest bathroom tub... seemed perfectly sensible to me - it's been frigid here!! :D

cloudyandcallie
Dec. 17, 2010, 03:24 PM
Hey I know a cother who lived in her house with lots of baby goats and her husband in Virginia. (no not me!)

And I think she was bottle feeding them too.:lol:

Of course she's divorced now and living in Florida. Goatless too.

aspenlucas
Dec. 17, 2010, 03:54 PM
Pictures, sorry I didn't have my helper to hold them, she's at school!
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee359/aspenlucas/LJ.jpg
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee359/aspenlucas/EJ.jpg
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee359/aspenlucas/LJHead.jpg

This was this morning, probably about 15 hours old. The buckling went out and visited mom and NURSED! Brought him back in but he got a belly full! He can stand on his own and mom was so excited to see him (really good for first time mom). Little girl is still trying to get her feet under her.

carolprudm
Dec. 17, 2010, 04:00 PM
Carolprudm-- your post should come with a warning of cuteness overload! That is adorable! Is that a long-haired Dachshund in there with those babies??

Oh...this thread makes me miss my goats, too. I wonder if Mr. CC would go for goats, since he won't let me get mini donks.
Yup, that's Simon the Snuggler. Here's another one
http://picasaweb.google.com/carolp3231/SimonAndAsher#5472749281178442130

JSwan
Dec. 17, 2010, 04:17 PM
Well I just called my mom to tell her we had to bring them in the house. I think she thinks I'm certifiable....

Sounds perfectly normal to me. :)

Glad they're doing better.

PiaffePlease
Dec. 17, 2010, 04:44 PM
OMG, what adorable pictures. I love goats, they are just so incredibly cute!!

katarine
Dec. 17, 2010, 05:02 PM
Boring people have immaculate houses :)

2Jakes
Dec. 17, 2010, 05:41 PM
When I worked at a zoo in VA we had bred all of our pygmy goats to kid right about Easter. Then we had a blizzard a week before their due dates, and of course...baby goats arrived early...so every couple hours we'd go collect all the half-frozen kidlets and bring them to the house (well, a small mobile home really). Before it was all said and done we had 21 baby goats happily bottle-feeding in the kitchen. At playtime they would be-bop all around the living room. Good times!!

mjrtango93
Dec. 17, 2010, 06:44 PM
Yup, that's Simon the Snuggler. Here's another one
http://picasaweb.google.com/carolp3231/SimonAndAsher#5472749281178442130

It really is a shame that dog is so obviously aggressive trying to smother that poor baby, and those goats in the tub :lol:. BTW I think I have the same couch as you in that photo. My La-Z-Boy sectional looks just like that.

kookicat
Dec. 17, 2010, 07:09 PM
Sounds pretty normal to me too. I've often had lambs in my kitchen.

seramisu
Dec. 17, 2010, 11:01 PM
I'm a dog groomer, and I recently had the pleasure of grooming a pair of hand-raised Angora goats. They had been rejected by their mother so they were bottle-fed and lived in the house until they were abut 6 months old. Names: Bonnie and Clyde. They were brought in on leashes and collars, and were better behaved than many dogs are their first time getting groomed. Even though they were outside goats by the time they came to see us, the owner was too attached to let the shearer do the job - he's often rough and nicks the skin - totally understandable when you're working with livestock, but Bonnie and Clyde were pets and deserved better.

We gave them poodley topknots (with horns sticking out) - one of my proudest acheivements as a groomer.

Long Spot
Dec. 18, 2010, 12:49 AM
YAY! Thanks for the pics, they are ADORABLE!!!!!

RiverBendPol
Dec. 18, 2010, 08:48 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWW. I'm overwhelmed by the cuteness factor-goaties AND Simon the Snuggler.

Rhyadawn
Dec. 19, 2010, 01:22 AM
How are they doing today???

aspenlucas
Dec. 19, 2010, 04:52 PM
How are they doing today???

Well I just put them outside with momma in a stall with a heat lamp for a few hours! They have sleeves of a sweatshirt on for coats! They look so cute and so far so good. I have to go to work tomorrow, so need to figure out what to do with them and friend said, try them out today and then bring them in at nights. So far so good. The boy, Durango, is running around and bucking. The girl, Dakota, is at least standing and walking around. Both are able to find the teat on their momma! We got our buck pens done yesterday which freed up more freshening/sick stalls. I think everything will be ok, and I have another doe ready to freshen any hour!