PDA

View Full Version : So do you tip the truck drivers that deliver the stone dust?

IFG
Dec. 16, 2010, 09:06 PM
As you may have read on the Holiday gift thread, I am getting a load of stone dust for Christmas. So do I tip the driver? How much?

Thanks in advance for advice.

subk
Dec. 16, 2010, 09:16 PM
I don't tip. The man or his son that generally drive the truck also own the business. I figure it's like a hair salon where you don't tip if it's the owner of the business. They like me though! I gave his number to my contractor who not only used him for my house, but has made him his go to guy for stone on all his building projects!

BestHorses
Dec. 16, 2010, 09:41 PM
I've never tipped.

IFG
Dec. 16, 2010, 09:46 PM
I appreciate these opinions. I am new to the farm life. Maybe I am just so giddy at my holiday gift that I was wondering if I should share the cheer.

BestHorses
Dec. 16, 2010, 10:00 PM
I, too, have been giddy over new stone dust;) If you want to share and you can, I bet the driver would be happy to accept it!

RiverBendPol
Dec. 17, 2010, 07:43 AM
No. No tipping. He marks the stuff up enough to include a tip. :eek:

MistyBlue
Dec. 17, 2010, 08:16 AM
No I don't normally tip for loads of stone/stone dust.

But I probably would offer a big plate of home made cookies for a holiday load of stonedust goodness.

And I'd be giddy too. :D Stonedust presents are a hella lot better than anything else I can think of. (other than an indoor, LOL)

IFG
Dec. 17, 2010, 10:32 AM
Well the guy is a driver for a quarry, and I made a special request to put a few tons in front of the barn, and the rest over the sink hole that I hope is now resolved, so I did give a modest tip.

I am so happy. So is the horse, who started playing in the piles, then rolled in the smaller one. Fortunately, at 18, he seems to have enough self preservation not to do anything too stupidly dangerous with a pile of stone dust. I think that he was giddy because that is the softest footing that he has felt in days.

IFG
Dec. 17, 2010, 10:33 AM
But I probably would offer a big plate of home made cookies for a holiday load of stonedust goodness.

Trust me, he is better off without my version of holiday cookies. He might break a tooth...

MistyBlue
Dec. 17, 2010, 03:20 PM
LOL, Stonedust Cookies? :winkgrin: :lol: :winkgrin:

Bluey
Dec. 17, 2010, 05:28 PM
Trust me, he is better off without my version of holiday cookies. He might break a tooth...

You mean they come out hard as rocks?:lol:

IFG
Dec. 18, 2010, 03:06 PM
You mean they come out hard as rocks?:lol:

MB and Bluey, you've eaten my cookies?

MistyBlue
Dec. 18, 2010, 05:08 PM
LOL, baking isn't your thing?

not really mine either. I prefer cooking to baking. But I make killer cookies and decent pies. Cakes kick my butt every time...stupid cakes.

And I royally messed up a batch of cookies yesterday. Correction...a triple batch. Stupid press cookie recipe...about 1 out of every 3-4 batches (I always make them in triple batches) fails to make it through either of my presses. It's an old family recipe, the dough is like cement. But the cookies are fantastic when they make it through the press. I've got a week to finish up my holiday cookies...*sigh*...that's like a billion more cookies. 2 ovens, 2 x-large sheets will be going pretty much 6-8 hours per day from now on. Ugh!

And still...I'd MUCH rather get stonedust. Or sand. Or driveway rock. But I'm not complaining because today I FINALLY got the one thing I've been wanting for years...a NAIL GUN! :D WOOHOO!

Let the projects and trips to the ER begin!

Bluey
Dec. 18, 2010, 05:37 PM
A nail gun? Wow, you are really getting good.:cool:

We don't have one, because we work mostly with metal, wearing a driver/drill out about once a year.

My welder is stick, would like to have a wire fed one, goes much smoother and faster, but I guess we will have to keep this one forever, as is a good one.:yes:

It is very hard to get good wood around there.
It has to come from so far, I think we get the rejected loads here.:(

Grandma and I made some ginger Christmas cookies one year that everyone had to have more of and didn't last any time.
The last few years, my stove/oven has the two breakers turned off, went on strike and there is NO cooking of any kind around here.

I never thought to tip the gravel truck delivery fellows, as they are the owners of the trucks and I give them a check for the gravel when they are thru hauling.