PDA

View Full Version : Which Spurs to Get?

Inspire
Dec. 16, 2010, 04:45 PM
So, I feel pretty bad for always having to use my trainer's spurs every time I lesson. And for months, at that. I believe I should invest in a pair of my own, but I'm stuck with which one to get.

I was considering some Stubben PoWs, but I don't find I get much of a reaction from the horses (mind you they are sort of lazy, but once you get them going they tend to listen a bit better).
Lately, with riding my trainer's 5 y/o, he has responded best to rowels. But I doubt they'd do well with many other horses, and they're definitely not my top choice.
Then I thought maybe some longer knobs, but I'm not a huge fan of those as it's usually a bit too much for the horses than I'd prefer.
I even thought of those nice, smooth roller ones. But with mostly riding the lazy horses, I'm not sure how well they would respond to that.

I like to be able to use my leg without using too much spur, but I also like a quick reaction. So I'm not sure which would be the best for me?

Pony Fixer
Dec. 16, 2010, 06:21 PM
I love the Impulse-type spurs (the plastic bead). More response than a plain POW, less "harsh" than rowels. I have 2 different ones with different neck lengths to fine tune how much "oomph" I get.

Dappled Grey
Dec. 16, 2010, 06:22 PM
From the description of your situation, I would say you would be best with a PoW or even a Tom Thumb (shorter). Between the two, one consideration should be where your leg falls on the horse - the longer length can help you reach the horse with the spur without having to move your heel very much.

The quick reaction should not be just from the spur, though it is a tool to help you get there. Agree that the rowel should not be your top choice and my experience with the roller/knobby is that horses can still get rubs from them when a rider (incorrectly) uses this less effective spur more constantly (though of course it always depends on the horse.)

When in doubt, open up one of the older classic texts and I think you'll find some nice guidance on how to increase responsiveness and also recommendation on an all purpose spur that should work in most cases.

Good question and happy riding!

alibi_18
Dec. 16, 2010, 08:38 PM
Why don't you buy a whip?

And what does your trainer thinks about it? Obviously, there might be a communication problem with his 5yrs if it already needs roweled spurs.
At what level do you ride? What kind of horses? And who do they belong to?

Also, it is no because you have spurs on that you have to use them.

atr
Dec. 17, 2010, 05:33 PM
I disagree about the Impuls ones--they are very light and it's hard to feel when you are using them--easy to get a bit busy with them, I think.

I like the Balkenhol POW spurs--they are really heavy on your heel and you can really feel when you are using them, which makes it easier to make a choice to use them or not.