PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Breeches Brands?

Haltatx17
Dec. 15, 2010, 10:16 PM
Hello!

I am just recently getting back into riding, and it seems as though the brands have changed somewhat! LOL.

I am wondering what brands of breeches anyone can recommend for dressage? Either full-seat or knee-patch? It is rather chilly where I live and I keep seeing the Kerrits Sit Tight 'N Warm tights advertised everywhere... does anyone own these? Interested to see what you think of them...

Any advice on what breeches you tend to wear would be appreciated. :)

Thanks!

Justmyluck
Dec. 15, 2010, 10:35 PM
For cheap schooling breeches Tuffriders Ribbed breeches are the way to go. I've never seen them look bad on anybody they flatter all. They offer both a full seat and a knee patch version. I'm in Florida so I cant recommend winter breeches. I however recently been wearing my summer schooling tights under my Tuffriders because of how cold it has been in Florida.

Haltatx17
Dec. 15, 2010, 10:46 PM
Thanks!

There aren't any easy accessible tack shops near where I live. Therefore, I have been searching online (Dover, Stateline, Smartpak, etc.) to scope out breeches. I have a pair of Dublin's that I love, however I have heard that they run small? I own a pair in a size 26R that fit perfect (I am very petite and thin). However, I purchased an off-brand pair of breeches on Ebay in a 24R and they were a tad bit tighter than to my liking :-/ Therefore, I am hesitant about purchasing breeches online without trying them on... I will have to check out the Tuffriders!

Funny you say that, my cousin lives in Florida and she was telling me it was 26 degrees where she lives today?!? Crazy!

Justmyluck
Dec. 15, 2010, 10:58 PM
Tuffriders run pretty true to size. I'm a 27 in jeans and a 28 in breeches.

Yeah its ridiculously cold down here especially for how early into winter we are.

Haltatx17
Dec. 15, 2010, 11:09 PM
That's good to know- I'm on Dover's website and they have them at pretty good deals! I was just debating whether or not to order my usual size or a size down- according to some of the reviews, people are saying they run a little big?

Guess the only way to find out is to order them and try them! LOL.

Well, I will still take your weather compared to ours- it was six degrees here the other night! That's when I pull out my hand and toe warmers for riding ;)

mg
Dec. 16, 2010, 12:04 AM
I'm a sucker for Ovation breeches. I find them to be very flattering and they wear well. They're also a very good price. I particularly like the kind with the dry lex liner.

I also LOVE my VTO full-seats: http://www.vtosaddlery.com/product/FULLSEAT/NVSPFSB.htm. No, they aren't something I would wear in a show (though that could just be the "snobbiness" from my H/J history ;)), but they are SO comfortable. They don't cling in an unflattering way and I find them to be warm in the winter and still very comfortable in the summer (in Maine). I've had mine for over 3 years now and I wear them allllllll the time and they're still going strong. Plus, I love VTO Saddlery. Top notch service and fast shipping at a great (flat!) rate.

GallantGesture
Dec. 16, 2010, 12:24 AM
Spring-Summer-Fall I live in either Ovation or Tuff Rider ribbed breeches. The Ovations are a little nicer looking I think, the Tuff Rider ribbed breeches are a little more casual, but very cool in the hot weather. Both brands wear well, the Ovations maybe a little better, but for inexpensive breeches I've been satisfied with both.

For winter, nothing beats the Irideon Wind Pro breeches. They are wind/water resistant and fleece lined. They are flattering (don't have that "shine" that a lot of fleece lined breeches seem to have that highlights all the details of what you wear under your breeches), and hold up really well to daily wearing, and can be thrown in the washing machine with normal detergent.

The Kerrits Sit Tight breeches... the full seat or knee patch part is a rubbery material.. a friend of mine had a pair of the these, and they were very squeaky on her saddle, and they stuck SO tight that she actually got stuck half way on a horse! She went to swing her leg over the back of the saddle, and when it contacted the saddle, it wouldn't slide the rest of the way over the horse! It was quite amusing for the rest of us, but she promptly got rid of those breeches :)

For sizing, most of my jeans are a size 4 (like at Gap or American Eagle) and the Ovations or Tuff Riders I like in a 28 and the Irideons I get a small.

GimmeQs
Dec. 16, 2010, 06:46 AM
I just discovered Aristas at Equine Affaire and just bought a second pair nwt on eBay. They are wonderful- real leather and doesn't feel tight anywhere.
I don't think I'd ever pay full price for them (I think $330 ish)? Their EA special was $230 and I got my eBay pair for $150-- there are some other pairs still up if you are interested.

HollysHobbies
Dec. 16, 2010, 06:56 AM
GQ--I LOVE ARISTAS! There are the nicest breeches out there, in my opinion...nicer than pikeur, cavallo, gd, schumacher... They're similar in fit to Kentucky's.

I also own Tuff Rider, Riding Sports, Ovation...they work great too.

Don't care for the Kerrits Sit Tight n Warm...the butt is rubbery, too sticky, squeeks and doesn't breathe at all...I have to wear long johns with them so there's a breathable layer in there and that helps. But, it's FREEZING in VA (teens to twenties...that's COLD for here), so I'm using em. My saddle is super slippery, so it works out ok (I couldn't deal with with them in a buffalo, sticky saddle) Kerrits has some newer models that look more promising though.

carolprudm
Dec. 16, 2010, 07:45 AM
Equissentials, made to measure. Netfilly has good deals on them on eBay

buck22
Dec. 16, 2010, 08:01 AM
I am beyond impressed with the warmth of my tropical riders toasties.

johnnysauntie
Dec. 16, 2010, 10:24 AM
Hands down, my favorites are the Wind-pro full seats from Irideon. Though I still need long undies to stay warm when it dips below 10 degrees here in northern IL.

I have one pair of the Kerrits sit-tight-and-warm breeches. I'm not crazy about them - they are warm and comfy but that seat is *really* sticky. I didn't use them at all when I was riding in a leather saddle. They're better now that I'm in a Wintec Isabell which has a suede-y seat.

I do have a pair of Kerrits winter breeches which have the same grippy stuff on knee patches only, and they're very pleasant to ride in, and cozy.

Doctracy
Dec. 16, 2010, 11:49 AM
I buy a lot of breeches from Neddy's. They are less than $100 but the material feels like much more expensive breeches, they fit great and are true to size. I've been very happy with the two low riders for me and the two full seats for my husband. Just another option to look at besides the usual.

ace**
Dec. 16, 2010, 11:59 AM
I don't like the Kerrits Sit Tight tights, but I do have a pair of the Kerrits Microcord full seat tights that are very comfortable and look pretty good for "cheap" breeches.

I personally hate how Tuffriders look, but I have been spoiled by wearing and riding in Pikeur breeches only (except for the one pair of Kerrits mentioned above) for the last 15 years. If you have the budget, Pikeurs and RTS are sooo nice and last forever (I've had one pair for 10 years).

Haltatx17
Dec. 16, 2010, 01:13 PM
Wow, thank you for the responses! I think I will toss out the idea of the Kerrits Tight 'N Warm. It is hard to see zoom-in photos of them online, but now that I have done a more thorough search, I DO see the "rubbery" material everyone is talking about.

I haven't tried Ovation breeches... will definitely have to check that out. I'm sure there is another forum for riding clothes, but if anyone is ever wanting to sell their breeches PLEASE let me know... I could pay via Paypal.. size 26R (unless they run big, then size 24R, vice versa).

I have heard many raves about the Iredion breeches. I do look on Ebay quite often, but I will also have to check out VTO Saddlery!

Now onto finding some nice warm gloves.... ;)

Spyder
Dec. 16, 2010, 03:03 PM
I haven't seen Neddys around for a long time -- where do you get them?

Inspire
Dec. 16, 2010, 04:36 PM
I've only had two brands of breeches, believe it or not. I have some knee-patch Elation breeches that were pretty cheap but they do the job. I'm not sure what you want to spend on breeches, but usually buying nicer pays off as they should last longer. My Elations after just over 2 years of owning them, and light once-a-week riding, are starting to tear a tiny bit in the hem of the seat. That's fine for my weekly riding lesson, though I'm not sure how they would hold up for riding more each week.

But I love, love, love my FITS full-seat breeches! They are amazing, simply. They're around $230 but they're very breathable, sticky, and comfortable for full-seats. Personally, I hate those cheap full seats as the whole felt piece joined together is very uncomfortable and hard to move in. But so many have changed their minds when they get a hand on some nice full-seats.

Pikeur and Arista are great brands too (though I've never ridden in them before), and if you don't want to pay that much, I've seen some around that you can get gently used for around $70. :)

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Dec. 16, 2010, 05:14 PM
I think it entirely depends on your body shape what will even FIT you. I'm 5.7, 115 lbs with a few curves.

Cotton Naturals and VTO breeches had to go right back -- way too big in the waist and get this: way too tight in the knee (WTH???), Riding Sports had a bunch of fabric where the zipper is attached right in the crotch (wonder whose idea THAT was) and looked baggy and cheap (so back they went), Kerrits and Irideons kinda sorta fit me, but I can basically pull them up under my arms... so not well enough of a fit for the price.

John Field (can unfortunately not find them anywhere anymore) and Pikeur Lagunas fit me like a glove. They are expensive, but IMHO totally, totally worth it -- for the right fit.

Good luck that your body fits into cheaper breeches! :)

Velvet
Dec. 16, 2010, 05:20 PM
My advice is to find a tack store and try on a bunch of brands. Honestly, people out here love ones that would never fit me nor make me happy. I'm sure they'd feel that way about the ones I like. It seems that we now have a wider selection than ever before, and they fit more shapes and sizes. What sucks is that they also are discontinuing styles faster--which means you start the search over many times in just a few years when you need another pair of breeches that will make you happy.

rprincess73
Dec. 16, 2010, 05:43 PM
I am a curvy rider...and just recently got back into riding. I LOVE the TuffRider brand. I ride in the pull on schoolers...as well as have a few of the adult jodhs. The ribbed are a lot more "solid" than the regular knit.

I also love Sigma...but they don't make them anymore...so if you can find them - grab them. Sigma breeches seem to run a bit smaller than TuffRider.

I find that TuffRider are true to size...and actually have a bit of "give" to them.

As for winter breeches...I have no clue. I am in good ole' SWEAT YOUR A** OFF Florida:) It was in the teens on Monday...and now it is in the 70s.

analise
Dec. 16, 2010, 06:14 PM
I'm another one that loves my TuffRiders (especially the ribbed ones!).

That said, for winter, I've been wearing Irideon Power Stretch Winter Breeches and a pair of Ariat Power Stretch Full Seats (both found on Tack of the Day last year).

Haltatx17
Dec. 16, 2010, 06:21 PM
I agree, the cheaper full seats feel...well, cheap. Unforunately my choices in tack shops around my area are slim.. I did try going to the nearest one and trying on some breeches, with the intention of then going online to see if I could find them cheaper. This way I knew that they would fit without the risk I would have to return them.

It seems as though Dover's return policy is pretty good... I have never ordered from them before... I would mostly be using these breeches for riding and not showing.

I used to own a horse and show during the summer, but since now going to college and working full-time my budget/time is no longer there. I took a couple years off and am now getting back into it... I am currently leasing a horse (which I am greatly appreciative), but after owning a horse, it's hard.... LOL. If that makes sense? Kind of like after living on your own and then moving back in with your parents... Haha. But I told myself I will not buy a horse until I know I can fully support it in the event it needs medical attention, etc. People tend to think just about the board and the feed and the tack, and not the "what ifs". Sometimes it makes me mad when people talk about buying a horse and keeping it at their house (most of the time for their "kids amusement"), when they have not the first clue as to how much work a horse is!

Sorry...just had to rant a minute...

Cobes
Dec. 21, 2010, 05:16 PM
The Kerrits Sit Tight N Warm have been updated and no longer have the "super sticky" seat. The fullseat is a sueded gripstertch fabric, you still get good grip but it is not overwhelming... Big improvement. They also come in a kneepatch style!

http://www.kerrits.com/Equestrian-Apparel/pc/Sit-Tight-N-Warm-Fullseat-26p1923.htm

Haltatx17
Dec. 21, 2010, 11:12 PM
That's what I thought... I saw a pair in the tack store the other day, and the material felt different... LOL... Thanks for the info!

pluvinel
Dec. 22, 2010, 07:09 AM
The best winter riding breeches are made by Boink. Now if you google, go to "Boink Catalog"...or you will get hits for sites you don't want to go to.
http://www.boinkcatalog.com/

Their winter breech called "Classic Riding Skins-Leg Patch" breech has tight weave cotton on outside to shed hair, dirt, hay, straw....laminated to heavy polar fleece on the inside.
http://www.boinkcatalog.com/index.cfm?fa=product.display&Product_ID=128&category_id=13

dressagenoir
Dec. 22, 2010, 09:55 AM
I ride in the Dover Riding Sport breeches, and really like them. I really like the tuff rider low rise with the wide waist band, but I have changed over to only full seat, so I no longer ride in them. Stay away from polyester breeches, like the tuff rider ribbed. I bought those at the end of summer and couldn't wear them.... they were too hot! and slippery!
Harry Hall are nice also.

BetterOffRed
Dec. 22, 2010, 10:16 AM
My advice is to find a tack store and try on a bunch of brands. Honestly, people out here love ones that would never fit me nor make me happy. I'm sure they'd feel that way about the ones I like. It seems that we now have a wider selection than ever before, and they fit more shapes and sizes. What sucks is that they also are discontinuing styles faster--which means you start the search over many times in just a few years when you need another pair of breeches that will make you happy.

All of this is soooo true!

paintlady
Dec. 22, 2010, 12:04 PM
Tack of the Day has Kerrits Sit Tight N Warm Knee Patch at 46% Off today -

http://www.tackoftheday.com/

Personally, I love my FITS - both the regular and winter ones. They are $$$ and likely wouldn't fit someone who was very petite like the OP. They only come in one length. I'm 5'8" and the length is good on me. If you're shorter than 5'5" - they'd probably be too long on you.

Haltatx17
Dec. 22, 2010, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the websites!!

I have never gone to the Boink website... also, I had heard of "tackoftheday" but I have never tried going to the website! Thank you much!

I know, I keep hearing that FITS are really good- I just get nervous spending that much on something I don't know will fit- but I know many websites have a decent return policy.

Yes, I am definitely shorter than 5'5" LOL I am just over 5 foot, and I am at about 100 pounds... so yes, I am very petite... and sometimes it's hard to find breeches that won't scrunch up at the ankles- hard to get my tall boots on that way!

@Dressagenoir- something warm I don't mind- it gets quite cold here! But I definitely do not want slippery! LOL.

I am currently riding in my trainer's synthetic Wintec dressage saddle... I have heard some people complain that some breeches don't "mesh" well with the true leather saddles- or maybe that they squeak in it? Not quite sure if anyone has a had a problem with breeches scuffing their saddle or not (most likely full seat)... I'm guessing since I ride in a synthetic saddle anything is pretty much fine...

LARGEBORE
Dec. 27, 2010, 02:19 PM
Ovations are exceptionally nice and way nicer than others in the same price catagory. the fabrics are very european along with the details. US designer Laura Romfh is the talent behind Ovation's fit and styling.

Doctracy
Dec. 27, 2010, 03:19 PM
I haven't seen Neddys around for a long time -- where do you get them?

Neddy's.com

LOVE THIS SPORT
Dec. 29, 2010, 10:07 AM
I checked out the Ovations and they are surprisingly high tech for their price.
What is with this Dri-Lex stuff they are using ?