PDA

View Full Version : Developing collection - videos, please?

GreyStreet
Dec. 15, 2010, 10:01 PM
My horse and I are showing first level, schooling some second level movements, and are starting to work toward achieving some degree of collection. It is certainly difficult for me as I'm still building up the stamina to really ask and ride effectively. I have access to a great instructor and we're making progress. However, I want to *see* some good examples of horses working at second level - preferably a few good tests to watch. I like to study - call me a nerd. But it seems difficult to find the "in between videos" - i.e., people riding second level tests versus training level or grand prix.

Can anyone help me find some good examples? In particular, I'm very interested to start really studying the difference in the trot work between first and second level. Our canter work is a few steps ahead of the trot at this point, I feel.

GimmeQs
Dec. 17, 2010, 03:59 PM
I second that request!

I don't think it's nerdy -- it's inspiring to watch good rides and helpful to see a proper and effective rider position.

I watch my horses sales video a lot to get ideas on how to ride him effectively. However, I keep it in th back of my mind that most riders have some flaws and what I may think looks like nice riding and want to emulate may in fact be incorrect or "getting the job done", especially when looking at shows.

jawa
Dec. 17, 2010, 05:40 PM
Anywhere to see the same horse-rider combination riding the different levels? The actual "training" of the horse through the levels. I think this would be a really great education.

GreyStreet
Dec. 17, 2010, 09:08 PM
I like to look up rides on YouTube when I'm practicing to ride a new (to me) test. But it's been difficult to find some good examples of the difference in a second level trot, say, versus a first level one. I know the technical difference - I just want to actually *see* a good illustration. Seems I either come across a higher level test ride with an ultra collected trot or a training level video.

Denali Does
Dec. 17, 2010, 11:32 PM
I'd like to see that too. It would even be better if they were ammy's horses as opposed to young pro horses being brought up.

littlemanor
Dec. 18, 2010, 06:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDbxZN15HR8

dwblover
Dec. 18, 2010, 03:18 PM
The website horsehero.com also has wonderful videos with Laura Bechtolsheimer schooling her horses from 4 year olds all the way to Grand Prix. She goes very in depth about how she begins asking for more collection, how much she asks for, and what exercises she uses. You have to pay to join but it's $25 per year, SO worth it!!! Lots of other riders too.

Reddfox
Dec. 18, 2010, 04:53 PM
Ok, no videos yet...but I have a series of photos that you may find interesting in the progression of a horse and a rider.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb249/Reddfox626/Transformation/transformation.jpg
Sorry, a lot of off of video stills so, not the best quality.

This is basically a transformation from a hunter to a second level dressage horse. This is my girl and I've owned her for 10 years. Most of those years we did hunter/jumpers (pic 1.- 4 years ago) We (I) decided to do some dressage to help her jumping and we both really liked it.

Pic 2 shows us at our first dressage show (training level - 2 or 3 years ago)) We clearly needed help :) On the forehand (both of us), major tension (both of us) and BTV. My position is atrocious - somewhere around hunter rider imitating a dressage rider! No coach or trainer at this point for us. I think we got a 50 something!:lol:

Pic 3-4 (a year and a half ago) shows us on day 2 and day 5 of a weeklong clinic....still a bit down on the forehand - still a little overbent and still down in the base of the neck. I however, am starting to figure out the position thing (as in I'm sitting upright and I've got my hands right- but I haven't been able to lengthen my leg and it's a bit in front of me. (I've taken about 6 months of lessons on schoolmasters at this point) Here we were exclusively Training Level - scoring in the mid -high 60's.

Pic 5 shows us about 4 months later - she is starting to come up in the base of the neck and not lean on my so much...You can clearly see the balance moving from level (pics 3-4) to a bit more uphill. I have finally gotten my leg to lengthen - although it is a touch in front of me and i am carrying tension in my uneven hands. We started that year showing Training 4 and 1st Level test 1 and finished doing 1L,T3-4 and scoring in the mid-high 60's)

Pic 6 is this summer (about 6 months from pic 5) and you can definitely see the balance shift - more joint articulation and more pushing power from behind...I think you can feel the energy being channeled up and out now. My position is tons better - although I still carry tension in my arms (that has since gotten WAY better). This is about 2 years of lessons on schoolmasters and another weeklong clinic with my trainer.

Pic 7 is the culmination - 2L, T1 I think...We've been showing that just at the end of this year and doing respectably...mid 60's on her good days :) You can clearly see more sit, with is shown in increased energy in her hind which translates for her into more joint articulation and a more upward springing stride as opposed to her earlier long ground covering strides. The base of the neck is up and she is not leaning on me...I still have loads to fix on myself ;)

Please note: she has never really been able to track up - she is VEERRRY long in the back - but through training, increased swing and suppleness in her back - we are now tracking up in the working trot and her lengthenings have good reach.

Also interesting is that - in the early levels, her stride mechanic stays the same, but as she progresses - you can see that the hind starts to be used in a different way. Even though she is more collected she has a decent step underself because she is being sent forward and not just being made to have a short, slow stride. So, her collected trot actually has more reach than her old hunter working trot. I don't know if I still have the videos where these stills came from, but I can look...

Hope this at least gives a visual to the progression of a single horse and rider team.

Reiter
Dec. 18, 2010, 05:02 PM
Great pics Reddfox! I love how along with the change in the horse you can see the change in your seat as well. Sitting deeper and driving the horse from behind, therefore bringing it off the forehand!
Nice progression! :yes: