PDA

View Full Version : For those of you that video tape lessons..

ASBnTX
Dec. 15, 2010, 03:32 PM
What do you find is the best storage method? I haven't quite figured out how I can tape a 45min lesson and be able to upload it to my computer in less than a billion hours, and that's not to mention the memory it would eat up at 2 lessons a week. Any ideas?

jn4jenny
Dec. 15, 2010, 03:51 PM
If your computer and camera both happen to have a FireWire port, there's your solution. In terms of write speeds to a drive, FireWire can be as much as 50% faster than USB 2.0.

If you can lower the resolution on the video that your camera captures, meaning that the file you're transferring is smaller overall, that could be another way to skin the cat.

If you are not a techie type, it might help if you tell us which camera and which computer you're using.

ThreeFigs
Dec. 15, 2010, 04:03 PM
I burn my lessons to a DVD, then delete the movie from the computer.

But I'm using a Mac. Don't know how it works on a PC.

Sony has a cool little device that burns DVDs directly from the camera and it's not too expensive. Easier than burning it on a DVD burner or through the computer. I'm tech-averse, though. Too many wires & connections and I'm lost.

ridingarts
Dec. 15, 2010, 04:46 PM
I recently got a little "Flip" HD video camera. About the size of a point&shoot digital camera, it has a flip-out USB connection, and the download time for a 45-min recording is really not bad at all.

And they're pretty inexpensive, too - here's a link: http://www.theflip.com/en-gb/Products/ultra.aspx

My previous MiniDV camera did take longer, although I am fortunate enough to have a firewire port on the PC I used for downloads, which helped.

From there you can just store the footage on your internal / external hard drive, or burn DVDs or whatever works.

MelantheLLC
Dec. 15, 2010, 04:51 PM
Get an external hard drive for your storage. You can get a terabyte of storage at an office supply store.

You'll still have to transfer them after d/l to your computer, but it's a bit less painful than making dvd's. Just be sure to name the files in a way that you have a clue to their date, etc.

ThreeFigs
Dec. 15, 2010, 05:02 PM
Good idea! I'm overrun with DVDs.

carolprudm
Dec. 15, 2010, 05:50 PM
I use a Kodak Zi8 which has a pull out USB connection right to my computer. The camera uses SD cards though. The one I have will hold several hours of high def video

caddym
Dec. 15, 2010, 07:21 PM
2nd the flip. Best money spent last year

ASBnTX
Dec. 16, 2010, 10:21 AM
Ok, I have a Dell netbook Mini 10, Sony Handycam dcr-sx44, and I also have a Flip camera. I haven't tried the Flip for long videos though, I just assumed that it would take forever to upload.
The Firewire port sounds intersting! I'm not sure if I have one or not...will have to look that up. Thanks for the replies so far! I'm getting some good ideas!!

The Centaurian
Dec. 16, 2010, 10:32 AM
I have a really nice Canon, maybe a Vixia? I upload the lesson via USB to hubby's MacBook Pro. After watching the whole thing as many times as I want, I use iMovie to cut it to 10 minutes, usually new movements I am learning, things I am struggling with, or moments that went particularly well. Then I save the edited video as "unlisted" on youtube. I like that I can access my lesson videos anytime, anyplace, and never have to worry about losing the dvd or file, and I can share with family and stuff.

ETA: The USB is pretty slow. It takes a long time to upload the video from the camera to the computer. Firewire would definitely be nice! Some computers, like my little MacBook Air, don't support firewire though.

ridingarts
Dec. 16, 2010, 01:20 PM
Ok, I have a Dell netbook Mini 10, Sony Handycam dcr-sx44, and I also have a Flip camera. I haven't tried the Flip for long videos though, I just assumed that it would take forever to upload.
The Firewire port sounds intersting! I'm not sure if I have one or not...will have to look that up. Thanks for the replies so far! I'm getting some good ideas!!

My Flip UltraHD transfers a 45 min ride via USB in ~3 minutes, maybe? So it's not too bad! Then I just catalogue them by date-horsename...

Not a big fan of the Flip software, but for the price & ease the little camera rocks!