PDA

View Full Version : Heated/thermal hoses

Brandy76
Dec. 15, 2010, 01:44 PM
Anyone try them? I was looking through a catalog last night and saw heated hoses(I guess you plug them in) they are supposed to keep from freezing.

Anyone use them? Are they worth it?

AKB
Dec. 15, 2010, 07:33 PM
I love my Thermohose. Price shop as prices vary a lot between catalogues.

deckchick
Dec. 15, 2010, 07:49 PM
I want one so badly! I live in central Alberta, home of the really really cold winters! Anyone use one up this way?

hhfarm
Dec. 16, 2010, 06:01 PM
Someone just bought me one for a gift....

IT IS AMAZING! We're having weather here down to 0 degrees (thirty degrees below average for us!) and it has been a wonderful, wonderful tool!

Good luck!

dmalbone
Dec. 16, 2010, 09:27 PM
I have a pirit 50' that I just started using and I love it! I haven't left it plugged in all day to keep it unfrozen, but it is small enough that it's easy to drain. I must have left a tiny bit in there because tonight it was a little frozen. It only took 5 minutes before it was flowing from the spray nozzle (we don't leave it on it). The connections have been a little iffy so far and we need to use pliers/channel locks to make sure it's tight enough on the hydrant, but it's a small price to pay!

Pennywell Bay
Dec. 19, 2010, 11:53 AM
Good info. Someone told me NOT to get one as I burn through hoses but if everyone seems to like them, I may have to give it a try..

CB/TB
Dec. 19, 2010, 12:14 PM
'SANTA' gave me 200' (2 100' sections) of the PIRIT hose this year. I keep it plugged in. As was discussed in another thread on this site,, you CANNOT connect them to each other. I have the first 100' to my trough connected to a "Y" coupling. The other 100' is off the coupling to my shedrow. you can either keep it plugged in , as I do, or plug in as needed. If the hose has frozen water in it, a few minutes of heat( as DmalBone said) and the water flows. Should be a lifesave this winter. Santa went to the PIRIT website and ordered direct- paid shipping, but not sales ta.

2DogsFarm
Dec. 19, 2010, 03:01 PM
I did some price-surfing Friday and found the best price at ValleyVet.
$128 for a 40' length w/free shipping!

Can't recall if it was the Pirit - may have been Thermohose - but the same idea.

CB/TB
Dec. 19, 2010, 06:39 PM
The PIRIT was $199/100' + plus shipping. DR EQUIPMENT carries them,, but we went direct to PIRIT.

dmalbone
Dec. 19, 2010, 07:07 PM
Our pirit 50' was $129 from amazon with free shipping. It's worked wonderfully except for DH forgetting that even though the hose is heated he still has to unhook it. He had NO idea why the hydrant was frozen last night. :rolleyes:Just when I think i'm turning him into a real farm boy...