PDA

View Full Version : What's in gum?



Alagirl
Dec. 15, 2010, 11:24 AM
The - erm - barn kitty likes to lick gum...peppermint, through the paper.
She actually licked her way through the outside card stock, then through the paper before making a dent into the gum...:eek:
(I wish she would go for candy cane...)

katie+tru
Dec. 15, 2010, 11:35 AM
I wouldn't worry about it, unless she actually eats a good deal of it. She probably just likes the minty smell. Animals are attracted to the funniest things... my last dog used to get washclothes out of the laundry basket and rub her face in them. She liked the soap smell.

I did walk a dog as a kid that used to eat gum OFF THE ROAD.:eek: She didn't get it often, but I don't think it ever made her sick. It passes through eventually.

Alagirl
Dec. 15, 2010, 11:53 AM
my old old cat used to get a glazed look when ever she smelled peppermint, about crawl into your mouth when you had gum. I unwrapped a candy cane for her and wedged it in the chair and she's go to town on it. Miss that crazy cat. :sadsmile:

(well cat mint and cat nip are related to peppermint...)

LegalEagle
Dec. 15, 2010, 12:09 PM
I would worry if the gum has xylitol in it- that is poisonous to animals. It is found in some sugar-free gum.

wireweiners
Dec. 15, 2010, 12:14 PM
Yes, watch for xylitol, its toxic to dogs I know and probably cats as well. Its a sweetener in some sugar free gums. I always check and don't buy the xylitol brands.

Alagirl
Dec. 15, 2010, 12:15 PM
I would worry if the gum has xylitol in it- that is poisonous to animals. It is found in some sugar-free gum.


Yes, watch for xylitol, its toxic to dogs I know and probably cats as well. Its a sweetener in some sugar free gums. I always check and don't buy the xylitol brands.

awesome, thanks!

(Wrigley's Spearmint and Double mint these days, but I'll keep the other stuff under wraps now....urgh, bad pun....)

FLeckenAwesome
Dec. 15, 2010, 12:18 PM
If it's a sugar free gum... the xylitol is toxic. It causes low glucose levels and/or liver failure. Needs veterinary care!

I don't think there is anything in gum without xylitol that is toxic, but I would probably keep her away. I'd hate for her to get an intestinal obstruction or irritation from it if she ate a bunch.

But Santa kitty might want to bring her some catnip! :)

Alagirl
Dec. 15, 2010, 12:20 PM
I think they send their letters to Santa Claws...but the cat nip loses it's potency it seems so far south from the North Pole...:no:

deckchick
Dec. 15, 2010, 08:35 PM
Speaking of animals and crazy tastes, I have a goat that whenever I sit down in the barnyard and have a smoke, she comes over and dang near tries to take my cigarette. She actually will get her nose as close as possible to the smoke and inhale. Damn goat wants to bum a smoke off of me I know it...

Huntertwo
Dec. 18, 2010, 07:07 PM
I think they send their letters to Santa Claws...but the cat nip loses it's potency it seems so far south from the North Pole...:no:

I keep mine in the fridge and it seems to last longer. Also, I crush it in my fingers (like using cooking herbs), as it brings out the flavor/smell. :yes: