PDA

View Full Version : CM Trailers...anyone have an opinion?

TrotTrotPumpkn
Dec. 15, 2010, 10:55 AM
There is a new local trailer dealer and they carry CM trailers. I don't really know anything about this brand. As they are all parked outside and it is frigid, I haven't stopped over to look at them yet, but it looks like they make a steel trailer and possibly an aluminum.

Their website has typical dimensions listed and they look small/short. Perhaps the steel is similar to a Keifer steel or Calico--looks more expensive...?

Anyone have one or have an opinion?

vandenbrink
Dec. 15, 2010, 11:05 AM
I have an older steel CM stock trailer that is still going strong. I believe it is about 20 years old. I bought it used last year and it had been redone with a new floor and paint job. It's a fabulous trailer, it hauls great, horse load really well on it, and they travel very well on it, so the suspension must be very good.

I think they are well made..certainly were then, and the company is still around making trailers. That's a good sign.

SLW
Dec. 15, 2010, 12:01 PM
I had a 2002 CM Dakota two horse trailer with DR and it was a nice little tag along trailer. Drop down windows on the head, slants on the butt and collaspable rear tack.

When I changed and went with a GN I bought a Titan steel trailer and saw a difference in "heft". The Titan rear doors are double metal 3/4 of the way up as are the sides.

Anyway, CM makes a decent trailer, very chick friendly in that you don't need a big Marine to collaspe the rear tack or remove the saddle tree. :)

mg
Dec. 15, 2010, 12:39 PM
I have a 2H BP Circuit Champ that's about 15 years old. It's nothing fancy to look at, but it does its job. Mine looks really small since it's a no-frills trailer without a dressing room or any compartments, but I've had a 17hh horse on it and he fit just fine. I'm impressed at how well it's stayed mechanical and cosmetic-wise after all these years with minimum maintenance.

The only issue I've had with mine is I've had a couple horses who were scared to death of loading on it, BUT they were hard-to-load horses anyway. Mine has a rigid stall divider (doesn't swing like my Hawk), and since the trailer isn't huge, I understand how it could look a bit like a scary, dark hole to horses who are already timid of trailers. That being said, 95% of the horses who I've put on the thing have loaded without a blink of an eye.

I don't know anything about the newer ones.

TrotTrotPumpkn
Dec. 15, 2010, 01:13 PM
Funny you mention Titan. They are another brand I have my eye on, although I would like to support a local vendor if I can. I'm just worried that the Titan slant would be too narrow and short (looking at Avalanche II)...

cowgirljenn
Dec. 15, 2010, 01:24 PM
We bought a used 2 horse, slant load CM this spring - and so far, I'm loving it. It hauls well, horses ride in it well, etc.

justonemore
Dec. 15, 2010, 02:10 PM
I had one several years ago. Two horse straight load with ramp. I'm thinking it was a '95. It was all steel but not too heavy, towed easily and most horses were okay with it. My Trakehner mare (who trailers easily) hated it for some reason.

It did develop some surface rust and bubbling paint within a few years on the front escape doors as well as the ramp. Maybe they've improved their paint since then? Also the ramp was quite heavy. I didn't love it, but I still think it was a decent trailer for the price.

Aelfleah Farm
Dec. 15, 2010, 03:05 PM
I have two CM trailers. Both "Dakota" slant loads. One is a two horse slant with dressing room and rear tack. Other is a three horse slant with dressing room. Both have drop windows on the street side and slats on the curb side with plexiglass inserts for winter use.

Both are more than 4 years old, and have held up great. The two horse is used at least weekly and for many many long distance trips. The three horse one is not used as much simply because I rarely need to haul more than 2 horses.

As far as steel bp trailers go, I think CM is a great brand.

carolprudm
Dec. 15, 2010, 09:15 PM
I have a CM Saratoga. It's 10 years old and I'm still very happy with it

trafalgar
Jan. 16, 2011, 01:42 AM
I have a friend who has 2 ..one is a 2 plus 1 and the other is a six horse. They are aluminum I believe. She told me they were very well built and her father who was an engineer was very impressed with how they were built.

lawndart
Jan. 16, 2011, 07:15 AM
I have a '96 CM open stock, steel. Still going strong, has only needed a new paint job so far. Very light and open inside, I've never had a horse refuse to load. :)

I do only haul my personal horses, which are small QH/s and TWHs. For warmbloods, I'd look at one of their other models.

Hauls well too.