PDA

View Full Version : Sorry I'm slow....another heated tank question

fivesocks
Dec. 14, 2010, 11:16 AM
I'm electricity-challenged. I tried doing a search for other tank heater threads, but reading those only seems to be making me more confused.

I want to get one of those common green 16 gallon heated tubs that keeps the water at 60*.... I had one a few years ago and I don't think the horses ever touched it, but I was living further south and I suppose it wasn't absolutely necessary.

1.) If I plug the tub cord directly unto an outlet (without using any extension cord) AND if the cord isn't touching the ground, can I be reasonably certain that nobody will get shocked???

2.) Do I need a GCI/GCFI outlet with that kind of heater??

3.) Does any outlet with 3 prong holes and a reset button = a GCI outlet?

FWIW, my barn is only about 5 years old so maybe the electrical stuff is more likely to be ok??

4.) Does this green 16 gallon type of tank NEED to be grounded?

4.) Is there a specific type of metal that should be used for the metal rod into the ground? And a copper wire attaches to metal rod and drapes into water?

Thank you!!

Romany
Dec. 14, 2010, 12:30 PM
I'm electricity-challenged. I tried doing a search for other tank heater threads, but reading those only seems to be making me more confused.

I want to get one of those common green 16 gallon heated tubs that keeps the water at 60*.... I had one a few years ago and I don't think the horses ever touched it, but I was living further south and I suppose it wasn't absolutely necessary.

1.) If I plug the tub cord directly unto an outlet (without using any extension cord) AND if the cord isn't touching the ground, can I be reasonably certain that nobody will get shocked???

FWIW, my barn is only about 5 years old so maybe the electrical stuff is more likely to be ok??

4.) Is there a specific type of metal that should be used for the metal rod into the ground? And a copper wire attaches to metal rod and drapes into water?

Thank you!!

Maybe go back and check the instructions; I seem to remember from mine that they do strongly recommend grounding the tank. My cords always end up touching the ground, by the way.

Can't help you on the electric issues - pm Clanter, though!
I didn't ground ours for years, but last winter had persistent issues, and sticking a
grounding rod deep into the mud seemed to fix it.

rainechyldes
Dec. 14, 2010, 12:35 PM
One thing I tend to always use around horses is outlets that have a breaker built in- that way if anything goes wrong, the outlet itself will cut out- preventing any scary electrical incidents from happening.

justonemore
Dec. 15, 2010, 03:21 PM
I don't think you need to use a ground rod with this type of tub/heater. It's basically a large heated water bucket, right? The heating element is sealed inside the plastic and is not directly in your water?

A GFI outlet is always a good idea.

dmalbone
Dec. 16, 2010, 10:16 AM
I have the green heated 16gallon tubs and when it is extremely cold they are nowhere NEAR 60 degrees fyi. On warmer days sure, but def. don't expect warm water in the dead of winter!

Not necessarily. I don't know for sure, but depending on where your electric is if you have electric fences and all that good stuff I think you still run the risk. I have two of them and I have no problems with either shocking. I do keep my cord coiled up and zip-tied together, but that's because I have a naughty pony. :)

Yes, it is recommended.

As far as I know, yes. I've not personally seen one that has the 3 prongs and reset that isn't GFI. I think the reset button that trips is what makes it.

not necessarily, but hopefully! GFI outlets aren't always put in. Our electrician put in more than he said we needed because I was paranoid, but explained it that you can run electricity through one outlet to another. If the first (? it's been a while) is GFI it will still trip all of those outlets if something is wrong with one of them. I'm probably not explaining that correctly, but that's what he said at least! I would have someone look if you're not sure.

Mine aren't. I don't think you HAVE to if they're not shocking. If this is the green "muck bucket" you're talking about, this is the only brand I've seen personally with the green ones.
http://www.farminnovators.com/page6.htm . They also answer questions on their site. I emailed them with a question and they answered the next day.

Don't know!