PDA

View Full Version : Cats - Clavamox plus Oxazepam

Holly Jeanne
Dec. 14, 2010, 10:12 AM
Ok, I know clavamox has to be refrigerated but, after my cat tried to remove one of my fingers while getting medicated (she's on eye drops and clavamox and is staying inside right now), I headed for the bathroom to stop the bleeding and forgot to put the clavamox in the frig. It was out overnight. House temp was about 60. Throw it away and get a new bottle? Sigh.

Also, two kittens showed up in my hay shed on Thanksgiving. I'm working with a rescue and one was adopted. Unfortunately, vet (or vet tech) initially missed a heart murmur in the second one and went ahead and spayed her. We've found a home for her knowing about the murmur and they are doing the paperwork. Unfortunately, she has stopped eating the last couple of days (a week after surgery and two days after x-rays on her heart). Don't know whether it's stress or anemia from her heart problems or what. I have some Oxazepam but notice the expiration date was July. Does it really go bad? Do I need to buy a new bottle? I've also given her some nutri-cal. Keep your fingers crossed that she starts eating. I don't think she's going to have a really long life but she is a major little love and deserves her own people for at least a short while.

CarolinaGirl
Dec. 14, 2010, 08:14 PM
This is what I've found (from a pet rx site): Store suspension in the refrigerator, though if it is mistakenly left out of the refrigerator for a day, it’s not a problem. Discard reconstituted suspension in 10 days.
If it were me... I'd still use it. 60 isn't that warm (below room temp) and it was just overnight.

As far as pills go... I generally consider them still ok about 6 months out from the expiration date. They don't just suddenly go bad... just may lose some of their efficacy. Kitten heart murmur may go away (if it is in fact a young kitten and not like me and using kitten for any cute cat lol). Lots of young animals get heart murmurs, but often go away as they get older.

McVillesMom
Dec. 14, 2010, 09:43 PM
I don't think I'd worry too much about the Clavamox either. As CarolinaGirl said, 60 degrees isn't that warm, and it was only overnight. Is it ideal? Probably not...but if I were using it on my own cat, I'd probably just finish the bottle. :D

As far as the oxazepam...I'd be pretty hesitant to give medications to a kitten with a heart murmur that's stopped eating a week post-op without having more information. There are quite a few different reasons she may have a murmur - could be no big deal, or could be serious depending on what is causing it. I would probably be more concerned about post-surgical complications...probably a good idea to have a vet look at her before giving her any drugs.

Good luck to both of the kitties! :)

Holly Jeanne
Dec. 15, 2010, 10:06 AM
Thanks folks! Kitten that wasn't eating is eating again and trying to stage a coup against my other cats. :lol: Nutri-cal and tuna did the trick. She'll now be getting her vitamins by syringe. Kitten has seen the vet twice since surgery and I think the stress is one of the reasons she stopped eating. Had just gotten her back from the vet. Now if her adoption would just go through...

Pancakes
Dec. 15, 2010, 10:12 PM
Glad to hear she is doing well. I would stress very carefully to whoever adopts her to make sure they follow up frequently (every 6 mo at least) with the murmur, as I have seen some nasty cases of HCM in very young kitties that have ended badly.