PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Wheelbarrow

amastrike
Dec. 14, 2010, 01:29 AM
(Did a search, but didn't quite get the results I wanted.)

I normally use the Bobcat to clean stalls, but I don't like using it every single day to get a night's worth of poop out of two stalls. I use a wheelbarrow or a muck bucket if the wheelbarrow gets full. If it's dark, I don't use the Bobcat which means pushing the wheelbarrow pretty darn far away over ice or snow or mud. Not sure on the actual distance, but it's a good 3 minute walk each way. It's not a bad wheelbarrow, really, but it does get heavy, and it doesn't hold as much as I would like.

So. What I want: a wheelbarrow or cart with large capacity, easy to push, well balanced, easy to dump. Has to be able to be pushed/pulled by a person, not an ATV. Here are a few from Home Depot that look interesting. Thoughts?
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xil/R-202064915/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xil/R-100664036/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Garden-Center-Garden-Tools-Wheelbarrows-Yard-Carts/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xilZar3e/R-100325963/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Garden-Center-Garden-Tools-Wheelbarrows-Yard-Carts/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xilZar3e/R-202201813/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

deltawave
Dec. 14, 2010, 07:56 AM
I have a version of numbers 1 and 2, and while it's handy for little stuff, it's WAY too small for mucking, and prone to being top heavy if you overload it. Less capacity than a muck bucket.

I have number three, the exact one, and love it. The size is just right--anything larger would be REALLY heavy when full. Number four looks nice as well, but is smaller and therefore more three minute walks for you. :)

cyndi
Dec. 14, 2010, 09:12 AM
None of the above.

I have had this cart: http://www.rubbermaidcart.com/product_info.php?cPath=13&products_id=904

for about TEN years now. I am only 5 feet tall, and can push it AND dump it when it is completely over the top full. It has very large wheels which makes it MUCH easier to push. I have NEVER had a flat tire on it in all these years. It fits through the 4' stall openings easily and is very easy to push even through mud. I have had horses for 30+ years and it is by far the best muck cart I've ever had - both for durability and also for ease of use.

DLee
Dec. 14, 2010, 09:37 AM
I have the two wheeled wheelbarrow version, it's been a rock for me, many years old and banged around.

mkevent
Dec. 14, 2010, 10:29 AM
Agree with Deltawave and DLee. I love the 2 wheeled wheelbarrows! I added the no flat tires to mine and it's been going strong for a number of years.

I also have the Rubbermaid but for some reason I have a tough time dumping it-it's hard to completely flip over. I think it's because the front sticks out farther than traditional wheelbarrows so it takes more leverage to flip it(?). I use it for bringing my haynets to the horses and it's great for that-plenty of room. I also added no flat tires to that. (can you tell I'm strongly suggesting no flat tires, lol?)

seabreeze
Dec. 14, 2010, 11:14 AM
I have the smaller version of the one cyndi has:

http://www.rubbermaidcart.com/product_info.php?products_id=907

I have had it since the spring of 1999...so...11 1/2 years now? Yep. It is still going strong. For the first 8 years I used it to clean stalls daily, pushing it about 200 feet over bumpy ground to the manure pile. I've done and continue to do everything with it: use it to tote hay, tote feed (three 50 lb. bags fit in it fine, and four will work if you are careful), pelleted bedding, use as a garden cart, carry fencing materials around in it when I'm making my fence repair rounds...I've even used it as a stool (not a good idea, and I don't recommend it, but it worked in a pinch). It goes through mud, snow, over ice, whatever. I simply abuse the poor thing.

I keep wondering when it is going to fall apart. I have never so much as tightened a screw, a nut, or anything on it. It has truly been maintenance free...gee, now that I think about it, it is probably the only thing I own that can make that claim!

I wholeheartedly endorse it, and I'm sure the larger one is just as tough.

LovelyBay
Dec. 14, 2010, 11:24 AM
I'm getting this one for Christmas

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2989946&cp=2568443.2568444.2598682.2602618

I wanted a bigger one, but BF bought me the one he likes. He didn't want a plastic one, so it's metal and I"m worried it will be really heavy and not hold as much muck as I'd like. Oh well, at least it has two wheels... I better be getting something else for Christmas besides just the wheelbarrow....

deltawave
Dec. 14, 2010, 12:22 PM
It won't be that pretty, shiny and blue for long! :D But what a cool boyfriend. Hope you get some other stuff, too, but you can't beat a guy that buys you barn stuff. :lol:

KarenC
Dec. 14, 2010, 12:29 PM
I have this one:
http://www.cartsonthego.com/ursa-wagon-dump-cart

Love it, love it, love it. I have the clevis hitch but have not bothered to hitch it up to the tractor (although its nice to have that option). I'll never go back to 2 wheels again. It turns on a dime and is easy to dump. I just pulled the sucker through 3 feet of snow without difficulty. I can clean 4 stalls plus pick out the run in and it all fits in one load. I think they have a larger model as well.

CanTango1
Dec. 14, 2010, 12:31 PM
I dont want to be the one that shoots down number 3 but here goes.

We have something very similiar, ours may hold more but from the looks of it they look almost identical.

It actually holds an insane amount of $hit :lol: but I speak from experiance.. as the weather gets colder and colder ( here wind chill was 7 last night) it becomes very easy to tell yourself you can fit one more stall in there and it can wait until tommorrow.... DO NOT DO THIS, Ill say it again... DO NOT DO THIS... Unless of course you can get your SO to push it out:D

I have a slightly longer walk than you do from barn to manure pile and to put it lightly..... ITS A BI^CH.

To keep it manageable, I should push it our 2x a night but I dont because thats rational ( and lets face it, one trip is PLENTY per night ) , I just load that sucker up and cuss at it the whole time... To each their own I guess !!!

deltawave
Dec. 14, 2010, 12:34 PM
Oooo, Karen, that's very nice! I have a thread about towable muck carts. Likey! :yes: 400 pounds doesn't seem like much; is it pretty rugged? How long have you had it?

tikidoc
Dec. 14, 2010, 01:11 PM
I have this one and like it. I'm with all of those who have mentioned the two wheeled wheelbarrows. They are much more stable and don't tip easily.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/lawn-garden/wheelbarrows-garden-carts/farm-and-ranch-10-cubic-foot-wheelbarrow-4431520

I also have this muck bucket cart (picked it up on clearance at a show a while back) and really like it. The big wheels make it very stable, and I use it a lot for bringing clean shavings in to the barn. I generally use a UTV now to bring dirty shavings out to the poop pile.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM471417001P?sid=IDx20101019x00001b&srccode=cii_18492716&cpncode=21-89471669-2

SGray
Dec. 14, 2010, 01:47 PM
http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10052&storeId=10001&langId=-1&division=FarmTek&productId=20298

LovelyBay
Dec. 14, 2010, 02:23 PM
It won't be that pretty, shiny and blue for long! :D But what a cool boyfriend. Hope you get some other stuff, too, but you can't beat a guy that buys you barn stuff. :lol:

Our First Christmas he got me Carhart Coveralls and new Ariat boots! You are right about the color, I wish it were an ugly color so I wouldn't mind putting poop in it :yes:

amastrike
Dec. 14, 2010, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the input, everyone! I'm trying to avoid shipping costs and not pay a ton.. Tikidoc, that 10 cubic foot one looks awesome! Do you find that it's awkward or hard to move when it's full? How does it do with snow/mud?

Mali
Dec. 14, 2010, 11:17 PM
None of the above.

I have had this cart: http://www.rubbermaidcart.com/product_info.php?cPath=13&products_id=904

for about TEN years now. I am only 5 feet tall, and can push it AND dump it when it is completely over the top full. It has very large wheels which makes it MUCH easier to push. I have NEVER had a flat tire on it in all these years. It fits through the 4' stall openings easily and is very easy to push even through mud. I have had horses for 30+ years and it is by far the best muck cart I've ever had - both for durability and also for ease of use.

Yep - me too! I could've written your exact post! I wouldn't consider any other wheelbarrow!

KarenC
Dec. 15, 2010, 09:30 AM
DW, I've had it for 2.5 years and haven't even had to add air to the tires yet. I think they have a larger model that handles up to 600 pounds, but I haven't felt the need to upgrade yet. The best thing about it is how easy it is to maneuver - I can spin that sucker around tight corners, back it up - so much easier than a wheelbarrow.

tikidoc
Dec. 15, 2010, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the input, everyone! I'm trying to avoid shipping costs and not pay a ton.. Tikidoc, that 10 cubic foot one looks awesome! Do you find that it's awkward or hard to move when it's full? How does it do with snow/mud?

I have not found it to be awkward to move but I have only done light duty with it (picking out run-in, moving a few hay bales), so not sure on the snow and mud. We only had 2 at home (and no barn) when I was using it, and now that I have 4 at home and stalls to clean daily, we have a UTV (Polaris Ranger 400 that I LOVE) for hauling poop. But having 2 wheels on the wheelbarrow really helps a lot with the stability issue. For what I used it for, it was very easy to handle, and the price is certainly very reasonable.

Tom King
Dec. 15, 2010, 09:55 AM
I think the fourth one is probably the best design that I've seen. I have not seen it in person but have used all sorts of wheelbarrows from 6 cubic foot ones for pouring concrete to my favorite, the 10 cu.ft. version of the third one (I lift weights though so a normally heavy wheelbarrow is not a problem).

I'd get that fourth one, and get tubes for the tires while you are in Home Depot and go ahead and put them in to start with. The large diameter wheels in a balanced position must make it the easiest pushing wheelbarrow ever. If I had much concrete to pour somewhere, I'd buy a couple of them.

shakeytails
Dec. 15, 2010, 10:42 AM
If you've never used a two-wheel wheelbarrow, try one first before buying. I absolutely hate them, so does DH. They're wider,heavier, don't pivot well and in general are less manueverable- at least for me, and I'm far from petite.

My favorite wheelbarrow is an old standard steel thing that's cleaned plenty of stalls and is finally rusting through (probably from using it for concrete) after about 15 years. I usually use a muck tub dumped into the spreader, but since the spreader's frozen I'm using the wheelbarrow and dumping outside- I fit 3 stall's worth of manure in it easily (stalls are cleaned 2x/day).

tikidoc
Dec. 15, 2010, 11:14 AM
If you've never used a two-wheel wheelbarrow, try one first before buying. I absolutely hate them, so does DH. They're wider,heavier, don't pivot well and in general are less manueverable- at least for me, and I'm far from petite.

Definitely a matter of taste! I must be a clutz, because I have a tendency to tip over the one wheeled ones whenever I hit a bump, and much prefer the two wheeled. So I guess try before you buy, if you can.

Creaghgal
Dec. 15, 2010, 11:21 PM
Heres mine!
Brentwood (http://www.brentwoodindustries.com/spg/store/8-Cube---All-tire-sizes-OSCAR_414.aspx)

The Rolls Royce of wheelbarrows.

ETA: I wouldn't touch a 2 wheeler with a 10 foot barge pole

grayarabpony
Dec. 16, 2010, 07:41 AM
I love the two-wheeled wheelbarrows.

Bluey
Dec. 16, 2010, 07:45 AM
One wheeled ones demand you have two arms available.
Those with two wheels you can manage with the other arm in a cast and sling.

Maybe best is to have one of each?:p

buck22
Dec. 16, 2010, 08:05 AM
I have this one, http://www.tractorsupply.com/wheelbarrows-garden-carts/farm-and-ranch-8-cubic-foot-wheelbarrow-4431554

its fantastic, the horses play with it and don't leave a scratch, its easy enough to dump, but best of all I can manage it with one hand when needed.

What I don't like is that the tires completely deflated and fell apart after a year, all the little bolts that hold it together fell out and got scattered across the paddocks, so that was $50 on new tires. I should've paid closer attention and checked them frequently, now I do.

dmalbone
Dec. 16, 2010, 08:57 AM
I have #3 and LOVE it. I had that same one but in the orange color, a 10 cu. ft. one until I moved and loved that just as much. I only got the 8 cu ft. because it was cheaper honestly. :p I would NEVER get a one-wheeled wheelbarrow personally so that is for sure a matter of personal opinion. I can't tell you how many times being able to use one hand has come in handy. When I'm taking it out gates and horses are nearby it is so easy to open the gate with one hand, push the wheelbarrow through with the other and close it right behind me. You def. need a 2-wheeled one to do that. Same for stalls as well if you ever need to clean when they're in. I've used the 10 cu ft. one completely full and while it's heavy, it's still manageable because they push so easily. Since we've brought the wheelbarrow home DH is the official dumper every couple of days (I have 2 horses so sometimes I can fit 2 or 3 days in one wheelbarrow).

Bluey
Dec. 16, 2010, 09:24 AM
I have this one, http://www.tractorsupply.com/wheelbarrows-garden-carts/farm-and-ranch-8-cubic-foot-wheelbarrow-4431554

its fantastic, the horses play with it and don't leave a scratch, its easy enough to dump, but best of all I can manage it with one hand when needed.

What I don't like is that the tires completely deflated and fell apart after a year, all the little bolts that hold it together fell out and got scattered across the paddocks, so that was $50 on new tires. I should've paid closer attention and checked them frequently, now I do.

I have never seen one of those two wheeled ones.:eek:
You would still need two hands for those and yes, I think that kind of two wheels would make it somewhat more stable, but harder to turn.

The ones I mean two wheeled are those with one handle that goes from one side and around to the other and you can handle with one hand.
Like this one, that this company has been advertising on the right side space on COTH forums for a while now:

http://www.smartcarts.com/our-carts-c-1/smart-cart-p-28

dmalbone
Dec. 16, 2010, 09:27 AM
I have never seen one of those two wheeled ones.:eek:
You would still need two hands for those and yes, I think that kind of two wheels would make it somewhat more stable, but harder to turn.

Sure, when it's full, but there are a lot of times that I've still been able to push with one hand with the kind with 2 handles. It's all still connected. You couldn't get very far with one hand ;) but it still comes in handy.

deltawave
Dec. 16, 2010, 09:54 AM
I push my two-wheeled, two-handled one with one hand all the time. It's not the optimal way to do it, but totally do-able.

dmalbone
Dec. 16, 2010, 10:18 AM
I push my two-wheeled, two-handled one with one hand all the time. It's not the optimal way to do it, but totally do-able.

At the old place, mine was usually because I was pushing/pulling it back from the poop pile with one hand and a naughty cat/dog in the other arm. One time it was a naughty escaped mini. :lol:

Auventera Two
Dec. 16, 2010, 10:45 AM

My favorite wheelbarrow is an old standard steel thing that's cleaned plenty of stalls and is finally rusting through (probably from using it for concrete) after about 15 years. I usually use a muck tub dumped into the spreader, but since the spreader's frozen I'm using the wheelbarrow and dumping outside- I fit 3 stall's worth of manure in it easily (stalls are cleaned 2x/day).

Exactly what you said! I've boarded at places that had the 2 and 4 wheeled fancy expensive wheelbarrows and carts and hated them. I would rather put the muck in a muck bucket and drag it out by the handle than have to maneuver a 2 or 4 wheeled.

They are too big and clumsy, don't maneuver well, can't finesse them into just the right spot on the pile, and you can't wheel around behind a horse into a tight corner.

I clean stalls 2x a day and fit 3-4 stalls in a regular old plastic wheelbarrow. The $50 variety from the farm store.

Definitely try out one of these big schmancy things before committing to purchase online and pay shipping. :eek: :no:

goeslikestink
Dec. 16, 2010, 10:52 AM
i just have variations of the norm single wheel which works well

mkevent
Dec. 16, 2010, 11:49 AM
I also have a smaller version of the smartcart that Bluey posted. It is great! My version I bought at Lowes for around $110.

I use the big two wheeled wheelbarrow for stalls, the smaller cart (with the bicycle wheels) for the paddocks and a muck tub with cart for the aisles, etc. The muck tub cart is the only thing I store in the barn.

What I like about the bicycle tire version is that it is easy to use with one hand, you can either push it or pull it, and it's quiet simple to pull over the stall threshold (that little "lip" of wood that keeps the shavings in the stalls) when going from the stalls to the paddocks. Trying to do that with the large wheelbarrow is a PITA. The only drawback to the bicycle wheeled cart is that it has a small capacity, so that's why I use it for the paddocks. It will also be the one that I will take to overnight events since it's small and portable.

MaresNest
Dec. 19, 2010, 04:17 PM
I have this one (http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Garden-Center-Garden-Tools-Wheelbarrows-Yard-Carts/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xilZar3e/R-100325963/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053) for manure and this one (http://www.rubbermaidcart.com/product_info.php?cPath=13&products_id=904) for hay. The Rubbermaid one is nice for hay because it can be pulled behind me with one hand. The blue one requires two hands, but is easier to dump and therefore better for manure.

tobruk
Dec. 19, 2010, 10:38 PM
We have a fleet of these, some of them have been with us for 10 yeas now. They can handle 6 bales of hay and you only need one hand. They pivot easily to get in the stalls doors.
http://www.cartsandwagons.com/garden-carts/farm-&-stables/pro14cuftlandscapercart.cfm

minit
Jan. 9, 2011, 01:33 AM
perfectly balanced, very durable. The barn I'm at has this and a traditional 2 wheel wheelbarrow. I always go for the smartcart!

Robin@DHH
Jan. 9, 2011, 02:24 PM
For conventional wheelbarrow fans, whether single wheeled or two wheeled, a real valuable addition is to get a pair of extra long handles. Local Amish make these where I live. The handles on usual wheelbarrows are around 5' long; these handles are 6' or 7' long. The extra leverage of the longer handle makes the load a whole lot easier to deal with. It does have the drawback of being longer and so less easy in tight spots though.

Equibrit
Jan. 9, 2011, 04:07 PM
EZ haul with airless tires - by far the best (the cart carries ALL the weight) and no maintenance.http://www.ezhaulcart.com/home.php

Claddagh
Jan. 9, 2011, 08:03 PM
If you've never used a two-wheel wheelbarrow, try one first before buying. I absolutely hate them, so does DH. They're wider,heavier, don't pivot well and in general are less manueverable- at least for me, ....

I totally agree! Someone gave us one of the two-wheel wheelbarrows. We thought "Oh, that thing is great" - until we actually used it! It was way too clumsy, too wide, extremely hard to dump. DH and I both hated it and happily went back to our *tried and true* Jackson single wheel. http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/janitorial-maintenance/garden-tools/pruning-cleanup/jackson-contractors-wheelbarrows-m6t22?utm_source=pricegr&utm_medium=shp&utm_campaign=Pruning-Cleanup-pricegr&infoParam.campaignId=WU

When the steel tray rusted out we replaced it with the poly tray (soooo much lighter and does the exact same job!). It's years old and still going strong.

BasqueMom
Jan. 9, 2011, 08:33 PM
Have got the same as Cyndi--it's 15 years old and still wheeling on. Has been
outside for the last nine years.

Jan. 9, 2011, 09:50 PM
I too do not like 2 wheeled wheelbarrows.
Those Rubbermaid carts are ok, but I find them hard to get all of the manure out of them without having to pick up the whole cart.
The one below is my favorite; 1.solid no flat tire 2.plastic body, so it can't rust out 3.metal handles(cannot break when you throw a bale of hay on them accidentally!) Very solid & cost about $110 from Home Depot!
P.S. 40 years of mucking & wheelbarrow pushing!
http://www.amestruetemper.com/products/detail.aspx?ProductId=1084&SubFamilyId=37&FamilyId=36&LineId=31

LMH
Jan. 10, 2011, 07:23 AM
what is the difference between the URSA wagon and something like this?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200414684_200414684

or this?

http://www.amazon.com/Tricam-GOR201B-T1-Gorilla-600-Pounds-Capacity/dp/B000I2Z5C8

Just trying to get the basics on how to choose a cart like this.

deltawave
Jan. 10, 2011, 08:37 AM
LMH, the size. Those carts appear identical to the one I have from TSC, and it's SMALL. I can't picture the dimensions listed there, but I don't think those are very big. Maybe 1/4 the size of the Ursa wagon. The Ursa is LARGE. It stands more than 3' tall on its big old tires, and the dump bed is easily four feet long all by itself. It's a monster. :)

Those little ones might be listed as having 1000 pound capacity, but my guess is that's some fuzzy math--my little one GROANS under a few bags of feed and is top heavy to boot. It's nice for little dinky jobs like buying stuff at the Farmer's market and shlepping garden stuff around, but it has probably about the same capacity as a muck bucket.

If the weather is not too hateful tomorrow I will take a picture of Big and Little standing side by side. :)

ThirdCharm
Jan. 10, 2011, 10:16 AM
I have the same 2-wheeled Tractor Supply wheelbarrow that Tikidoc does, and I love it. I have a slightly smaller (but not much) yellow wheelbarrow with two wheels, but it has wooden handles which eventually do fall apart (bolts holding the frame to the handles wallow out the holes, etc). I have a regular 1-wheeled barrow that is used only for hauling hay one or two bales at a time to feed.

The TSC wheelbarrow does pretty well in snow but then we don't get much in NC.....

Jennifer

mpsbarnmanager
Jan. 10, 2011, 02:13 PM
OMG I LOFF my rubbermaid 2 wheeled cart. Love love love. Will never use any other kind.

LMH
Jan. 10, 2011, 03:18 PM
So would the URSA be easier to haul hay around my paddocks than the SmartCart I currently use?

It seems like it would be?

And the added benefit is I can attach it to my JD Gator if needed?

deltawave
Jan. 10, 2011, 04:58 PM
The Ursa is great for hauling behind a quad, gator or tractor. I've even contemplated hooking it up to the Shetland. :D

deltawave
Jan. 11, 2011, 12:41 PM
For LMH:

Here's a picture of my Ursa cart next to my TSC-brand little garden cart. Again, I'm not sure if the links you listed are the same cart with the same dimensions, though.

LMH
Jan. 11, 2011, 02:27 PM
thanks!

You sold me on Ursa. :D