PDA

View Full Version : Things to think about when getting a spare key lockbox

onelanerode
Dec. 13, 2010, 09:33 PM
1. It's best to locate your spare key lockbox somewhere that is sheltered from the elements, as it can be tricky to retrieve your spare key on a 24-degree evening when the lockbox is frozen shut.

2. Your spare key lockbox should be located somewhere that will allow you to see the numbers for your combination should you happen to need to access your spare key at night. This is especially important if you have a flashlight with you but your flashlight picks that very moment to stop working.

3. You should place your spare key lockbox somewhere that doesn't have many places for a key to fly off the box and go missing, as this is sure to happen when you have locked yourself out of the house on a 24-degree evening. You thought you were being quite clever using that dead flashlight as a battering ram, and you did in fact succeed (after bashing your fingers only once), but then your key went shooting off into the darkness under the porch, which you had fenced off a few years back so the dogs couldn't dig under it.

4. Your spare key lockbox should be in close proximity to implements you can use to retrieve your key once it has gone flying off under the porch. Sticks from the woods nearby work fairly well for this purpose, but hooked metal implements would be more efficient.

5. You should check your key periodically, especially if you didn't heed the first rule of thumb and your key has gotten wet and accumulated deposits of funk on it. Otherwise you may find yourself with a key stuck in a still-locked door on a 24-degree evening after you've spent 15 minutes attempting to retrieve the damned thing.

6. Your dead flashlight will stand you in good stead when you realize your key is in fact stuck in the still-locked door. Use it to bash randomly at the key, the doorknob and the door itself. It will eventually come loose, the door will open, and, like magic, your flashlight will start working again. You just have to bash hard enough and long enough.

:sigh:

K.
Dec. 13, 2010, 11:25 PM
oh dear... this sounds like something I should pay attention too, as I frequently lock myself out of my house, or my running car, or both!

bits619
Dec. 14, 2010, 11:52 AM
oh no! Completely laughing *with* you because it sounds like something I would do, too. And of course it didn't happen over the summer when the evening air was comfortable, hardly a breeze... Nope! Glad the flashlight ended up being SEMI useful in the end at least :)

EqTrainer
Dec. 14, 2010, 12:37 PM
OMG!!!!

Sorry to say I am ROTFLMAO.

MistyBlue
Dec. 14, 2010, 12:55 PM
I have soooo had one of those nights. :winkgrin: :lol: :winkgrin:

I'm considering getting one of those digital combo locks for one of the house doors. Have those on both vehicles and it does make life easier.

For now I just rarely lock my doors.

onelanerode
Dec. 14, 2010, 01:53 PM
The *only* bonus about it happening last night, with the 24-degree temps and 20 mph breezes? I was fairly confident I was not going to come across a large spider while whacking my stick about under the porch trying to locate that key.

Do understand this was not a bonus that occurred to me at the moment, as my ears, nose, toes and fingers were all frozen. :no: But I am grateful now, because coming across a giant spider truly would have been the last straw. :o

tallyho392
Dec. 14, 2010, 06:52 PM
easiest solution?

evergreen shrubs.......nearish the door.....a ziplock baggie with dark green felt inside (helps conceal) with key inside felt...clipped to a branch in depths of bush.....hey, do several, like i do, since i all too often have locked myself out of house, car, and lockbox.........must be a female thing

MistyBlue
Dec. 14, 2010, 07:23 PM
But I am grateful now, because coming across a giant spider truly would have been the last straw.

That just would've been adding insult to injury. :winkgrin: :eek:

carboncopy
Dec. 14, 2010, 08:32 PM
OK, this made me (who never posts) laugh out loud. It is so cold everywhere......:confused:

fivehorses
Dec. 14, 2010, 09:36 PM
Don't ya'll have barns...can't you put a spare key in the barn, what about on your vehicle?

When newly in my house, I locked myself out when I went out to do am feed.
well, I had to walk into town, in my nightgown, covered by a down coat, to use the phone to call my carpenter who had a spare key.

Now, I have keys hidden everywhere.

Alagirl
Dec. 14, 2010, 10:21 PM
Poor thing! (I am sure they frozen spiders got to hear every word that is not in the dictionary)

Clearing out mys sister's junk I found in the depth of a large tub filled with boots and polor and other assorted wraps, wrapped I think in an old sock a small tin with the spare house key with a label on it: Return immidiately after use! :lol:

Sis loved to label stuff

2DogsFarm
Dec. 15, 2010, 06:50 AM
Yup, fivehorses - my spare house key lives in the barn.
So worst case scenario, I have to walk the 250' to the barn & back.
Also available for neighbors or farmsitters if I need someone to get in the house while I'm away.

OP: as the widow of a locksmith here's a frozen key tip:
Use a cigarette lighter to warm the key frozen into the lock.
Bashing at frozen keys runs the risk of breaking the key off in the lock.
Then you will need a locksmith to remove the pieces ;)

Ummm...also count to 5 before trying the heated key.
Or you add burned fingers to the mess.

LookmaNohands
Dec. 15, 2010, 06:59 AM
But how do you stop the barn help from losing the key?

Make them pay the locksmith!

LOVE the key lockbox for the tack room! Used one for years!

Amwrider
Dec. 15, 2010, 07:08 AM
This is too funny....sounds like something that would happen in a funny movie.

atr
Dec. 15, 2010, 02:21 PM
This would be why we have a digital combo lock on the front door, and another one for the garage door...

We have a drawer full of keys. No idea what doors in which house or office or barn we have owned over the last 20 years that they might fit...

2ndyrgal
Dec. 15, 2010, 02:51 PM
So it was a cold morning in Lexington KY, and I'm staying at the Embassy Suites, and I'm in the first class on Sunday morning at the KHP.. I have a big crew cab dually diesel truck, which is covered with frost. So.. since the Embassy Suites has a killer breakfast buffet, I come up with the brilliant idea to leave the truck running while I eat breakfast, and, since all my gear is in the back seat, lock the truck with the keyless remote and leave the key in the ignition. I return to the truck and hit the clicker... nothing. At All. Truck still idling away, windows defrosted. Call DH, who instantly starts laughing. Note to self, remote clicker will not work on truck if key is in ignition and truck is running. Who. Knew???? So it's Sunday morning at 7am, do you think there is a locksmith anywhere close?? Nope. I call DH back, he's over an hour away. I. am. Not. Pleased. At. All. He says "Well, since the mechanics both rode to the auction with me on Friday, and those ass**ts smoke and open the rear sliding window and NEVER remember to shut it, climb up and see if it's unlocked".
Bingo, slides right open. Problem solved, right? Wrong. You see, I'm just a little on the fluffy side and the opening is like 8 inches wide. Clearly, I'm a bit wider than the opening. At this point, I'm looking around for a skinny 10 year old to shove through there, but all I see are a bunch of powered wig, hoop skirt wearing DAR ladies, who are all looking like they want to call security to see who the nutcase is in the back of the truck, taking as many clothes off as you can take off in the parking lot of an upscale hotel, and asking anyone if they have a tub of butter handy. I manage to shove myself through the opening, which looked alot like one of those playdough machines that forced the playdough through and out the other side in unnatural shapes. I do this only because a: I've paid for my classes and no one else wants to ride my horse, and b: I couldn't get to the tire iron (also in truck). Then I realize that I should have listened to my DH when he said "Don't just throw all your gear in there like some hillbilly" because of course, all the pointy, hard stuff was...you guessed it, right where I landed on the downhill slide. Even in my party years (hey it was the 80's) I never had so many unexplained scrapes, marks and bruises in my life.
And all you had was cold hands.... pfbt.

ChocoMare
Dec. 15, 2010, 03:00 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You just can't make this stuff up! :D

(ChocoMare makes mental notes to self re: house & truck key hidey-holes... ;))

dressagetraks
Dec. 15, 2010, 04:57 PM
I also have keys hidden around the farm. Just a short walk if I'm locked out.

However, I have twice run into difficulties with this system:

1. Moral: Cats like to play with keys.

Story: Upon returning home after dark on a cold, frosty night, with the security light obviously freshly burned out, I tripped over Emily Dickinson (black) as she rubbed between my ankles in greeting. I dropped my key ring, which I'd had in my hand. Self on hands and knees fumbling in the dark (Emily continuing to purr between my arms as I fumbled). I then realized that it would be easier to go in and get the flash light to search among the fallen leaves in the front yard.

I retrieved the nearest spare key, came back to the front door, went up the steps to unlock the door, and on the next-to-top step, just as I was reaching out for the lock, I again tripped over Emily (still black). Dropped key. I cursed. Emily pounced. I cursed louder. Emily, obviously now with key, thought we were playing a game. In the course of chasing her, I did at least stub my toe on the key ring, solving the problem. Such a neat, shiny cat toy your spare key makes for see-in-the-dark cats, especially when you enticingly toss it down in front of them. :yes:

2. Moral: Sometimes, 50 feet to the spare key takes FAR too long, and dancing practically naked in your back yard is quite interesting to the animals.

Story: I was mowing the grass. Climbing out of the front ditch, I was leaning forward as I pushed the push-a-mower up the slope. This unfortunately put me at the perfect angle for a June bug to fly down the neck of my T-shirt and get trapped in my bra. :lol: Trust me, an irate June bug trapped in your bra is quite a feeling. :eek: I dropped the mower bar and bolted for the house, intent on debugging ASAP. Alas, I had locked myself out. June bug was progressively growing more irate. Spare key was 50 feet from the back of the house, in the garage, in a back corner and secured by nails to prevent playful cats (see #1 above). With the electric vibrating bra going full speed, this was NOT acceptable.

Since I do live in the middle of nowhere, I simply ran around the house to the back yard and there immediately divested myself of my T-shirt, then of my bra, giving it a triumphant shake as I snapped it off. Alas, June bug fell out of my bra at this shake and into the waistband of my pants. June bug slid further as I tried to reach it. Off came the pants. June bug finally freed as I shook it out of a leg. I was finally released from electric, vibrating clothes. So there I stood in relief in the back yard, wearing my panties and socks, not a stitch else. I looked up, and here was every horse at the fence watching and all the cats collected, too. "That was fun!" their faces said. "Maybe if we'll watch a while, she'll do it again!"

Nothing like providing life entertainment, albeit unintentionally, for your animals. :lol::lol::lol:

mjrtango93
Dec. 15, 2010, 05:11 PM
So there I stood in relief in the back yard, wearing my panties and socks, not a stitch else. I looked up, and here was every horse at the fence watching and all the cats collected, too. "That was fun!" their faces said. "Maybe if we'll watch a while, she'll do it again!"

Nothing like providing life entertainment, albeit unintentionally, for your animals. :lol::lol::lol:

Not that your ending isn't funny, but I was totally waiting for you to say the telephone man on the pole, the cable guy, the water guy...... caught that.