PDA

View Full Version : Why you should keep your hotwire working...

texang73
Dec. 13, 2010, 01:33 PM
So, I thought I'd share with y'all a small story of my new horse, Sport... and how proud, yet somewhat embarrassed, I am of him! And it's a reminder to keep your hotwire working!

I go out Friday after work and as I drive down the driveway, I notice Snapper (my 27 y.o. OTTB retiree) is chowing down at the round bale, but Sport (my new 6 y.o. OTTB) is hanging out quite far away from Snapper, facing the fence and facing away from Snapper (they are good buddies, so they generally hang out fairly near each other). As I walk up, Snapper eagerly greets me, snuffling for treats, but Sport stays where he is... Hmmm... VERY unusual, as Sport almost always comes up to greet me too (sometimes he'll even trot over!). :confused: I look over and call his name, but Sport just looks over his right shoulder at me as I call, then looks at me over his left shoulder, but doesn't turn around to meet me or move much else besides his head/neck... UH OH! :o

So, I walk over to Sport, talking calmly, asking him what's wrong, what'd he get himself into, etc. I get closer and realize that Sport has BOTH front feet on the wrong side of the bottom fence wire (the fence is a smooth wire post and rail)! :eek: Gack!! Both front feet are outside the pasture, while the rest of him is inside! He's standing there patiently, waiting... The wire is somewhat slack, not super tight... So, I carefully pick up the left front foot and put it back inside the pasture where it belonged... he stood quietly as I walked around his backside and then picked up his right front foot and put it back inside the pasture too... He looks at me, puts his head down, lets me rub his forehead and in between his ears for a short bit, licks his lips, then turns around and walks back towards Snapper... As he walks away, Sport gives a few "tension" snorts a few times, as if to say "that was scary!" :lol:

I can't tell you how proud I was of my fairly calm, good-brained Sport! But felt abit chagrined that he got himself in that trouble in the first place! He's perfectly fine, by the way, no cuts, no scrapes, no swellings... we even had a light lunging session afterwards (where there was a small buck and a few "woohoo" leaps!) and he was completely sound and normal. :)

Oh, before anyone says anything about the state of the post & smooth wire fence, I should add that the fence DOES have a hot wire to keep Sport from grabbing the best grass on the other side of the fence (which is how today's incident happened today I'm fairly sure). But the hot wire was broken the last week or so.:( I board, so the best I can do is let the property owners know it needed to be fixed etc. However, the hotwire was repaired (and is working!) and fence wires tightened this Sunday.

Big sigh of relief from this horse owner! :)

coloredcowhorse
Dec. 13, 2010, 01:40 PM
THIS is why I hobble train every horse.....if they get a foot caught in anything they will stand and wait for rescue. Good boy for you...hate that "oh, sh!t, this is a possible disaster" feeling when you find one caught.

texang73
Dec. 13, 2010, 02:31 PM
THIS is why I hobble train every horse.....if they get a foot caught in anything they will stand and wait for rescue. Good boy for you...hate that "oh, sh!t, this is a possible disaster" feeling when you find one caught.

Yes, thankfully, Sport's got a really good brain... He isn't trained to hobbles, but I have trained him so that when I loop a soft rope around his leg or ankle and I pull gently on the rope loop, he either comes toward the pull/pressure (lifts his foot carefully or steps towards the direction I'm pulling) or he just stands still. He's learned from that exercise that trying to pull or jerk his leg back/out doesn't do him any good.

Thankfully, he's the same way when he puts his head up when tied, once he feels the pressure (even slightly) he stops, he won't fight it. I am very lucky! :yes:

TrotTrotPumpkn
Dec. 13, 2010, 03:04 PM
Last time I was at the barn where I board my gelding, I saw my horse standing with all four feet on the correct side of the fence, but with his entire body from lower-chest on up pushed through eating grass. Obviously the fence wasn't on, or working, since he was pushed against the two wires that make it up...

He was run through the fence a few months ago as well. Thank goodness no injuries!!

Wire fence is the absolute norm here. ALL of the boarding facilities use it to some extent (several as the only type of fencing) with the exception of one arab show barn (we don't qualify to board there, lol ;)).

I'm glad your horse was so sensible, OP, and you saw him in time!

texang73
Dec. 14, 2010, 09:50 AM
Thanks, TrotTrot! I would much prefer a different type of fencing myself, but it's not my facility! And, at least they were quick to fix the problem :yes: and it isn't barbed wire (which is sadly more common than you'd think for horses here in Texas... :no:)