PDA

View Full Version : How bad is taking a month off for the greenie?

ASBnTX
Dec. 13, 2010, 02:00 PM
I've had my horse in full training for 90 days now and he's doing SO GOOD! However, DH and I were going over the holiday budget, and it would be pretty helpful financially to take a month off of training. For me, it's a pretty hectic few weeks anyway, so I'm going to be missing quite a few of my included lessons, but I'll still be able to go to the barn a couple/few days a week and lounge and ride a little so horsie doesn't get too out of shape. I'm just wondering if it would be terrible to take a break so soon into starting full time work, and is it totally totally rude to let the trainer know this late (new month would start Dec. 15th)? I'm thinking it is... it would be nice to have the extra cash, but I also don't want to tick off my trainer and screw up my horse!

ACP
Dec. 13, 2010, 02:15 PM
I'd be a bit more concerned with the trainer. This is VERY short notice. Very short.

ASBnTX
Dec. 13, 2010, 02:17 PM
Yeah I agree. I had mentioned to her last month that I'll probably take a couple of weeks off and she said to remind her when we were "closer to the date". I'd also hate to do that to her if she's counting on that money!

shawneeAcres
Dec. 13, 2010, 02:19 PM
That is not enough notice in my opinion. The horse would be FINE but if I were the trainer would be less than happy about the short "notice" (if you can call two days notice!) Can you instead plan on taking off the month (or part of it) in January? That would give her more time for financial planning

dressagecue
Dec. 13, 2010, 02:19 PM
As far as the horse is concerned - he'll be fine! I actually start most of my horses under saddle at the end of the summer, so they can be w-t-c by fall, and then I turn them out December through March. The break is good for their brains, and being young, it only takes them a short while to get back in shape come Spring.

As far as the trainer is concerned, I'm not sure. I know with some of my clients, short-notices and life changes happen every once in a while. If you don't make a habit of it, and you have a 'start date' in mind, it will soften the idea of not having as big of a pay check. Maybe if you can swing it, you could give a 'deposit' for the next month that you plan on being in training. That would help trainer through a short pay check this month, and let them know you are serious about starting up again soon.

mand_asbfan
Dec. 13, 2010, 02:48 PM
Another option - would your trainer consider doing half-training for the month? I've often had my horse in half-training since I couldn't make it to the barn 5 - 6 days a week so the trainer would work the horse 3 days a week and I'd work him the other 2 -3 days.

CHT
Dec. 13, 2010, 02:53 PM
Talk to the trainer; she knows the horse and her schedule best. For all you know she would like to have a little less work to do around Christmas! Or she may be counting on the money...who knows until you talk to her.

Sandy M
Dec. 13, 2010, 03:03 PM
Well, when I had to make a trip after my greenie had had his 90 days with the colt starter and had been brought home, I just took him back to the trainer and said "put another 15 days on him." Of course, I understand if that's not financially feasible for you. It hurt my wallet, too, even for just two weeks. Personally, I wouldn't want him left standing in the winter. He'd be REALLY "yee-haw" when I got back. I'd would want him kept in work. However, if your greenie is more quiet natured, the time off probably won't hurt, but you MAY find yourself starting from, if not square one, square two. *G*

Janet
Dec. 13, 2010, 03:04 PM
Giving the horse a month off won't hurt, and might help.

Unless the trainer is overworked and would LIKE to reduce her laod for the month - that is WAY too short notice.

netg
Dec. 13, 2010, 03:19 PM
Yeah I agree. I had mentioned to her last month that I'll probably take a couple of weeks off and she said to remind her when we were "closer to the date". I'd also hate to do that to her if she's counting on that money!

This sounds more iffy - like maybe she took it as notice at the time? I think if you hadn't mentioned it to her it would have been crummy, but given you had this conversation I'm not sure, and it depends on how she understood it.

As for the horse - wouldn't be the least bit concerned.

flyracing
Dec. 13, 2010, 09:10 PM
No reason to take speculation from people about what the trainer will think or needs. Better to call the trainer first thing in the morning and let her know the situation. She may think having one less horse to ride over the holidays is great or she may have put herself in credit card debt and hopes everyone puts their horse in training. Either way, you are at her mercy due to the time frame (unless your contract states otherwise); however, that doesn't mean you should assume what she wants. It's a sign of a healthy trainer-client relationship to be able to rationally discuss these matters.

Kit
Dec. 13, 2010, 10:55 PM
I agree. Just get on and talk to her. Even if you were to give a weeks notice or 2 if it helps the trainer. Won't hurt the horse in the least. Most people around here give their youngsters a few months off once they've been backed and worked a while. It just seems to solidify their experience. They seem to come back with a great attitude and more understanding. The trainer may have a waiting list....