PDA

View Full Version : Installing Battens on Barn

LauraKY
Dec. 13, 2010, 10:41 AM
First of all, let me say, I did not build this barn.

It's basically a tobacco type barn with double box stalls with the front facing into the prevailing winds. With the weather we've been having and the direction the wind is blowing, it's snowing in the aisle and the wash stall. I'm going to put insulation board up along the top of the wash stall (double box also) and over top the doors. I can't put the board on the inside of the doors...there wouldn't be enough room for them to close. The gaps are about 1/4 to 3/4 inches. What's the best size wood to use for battens and the best way to install? Screws? Construction adhesive? Nails? They are crossbuck doors.

New doors are eventually in the plans, but not until spring or summer.

SmartAlex
Dec. 13, 2010, 11:04 AM
I don't have answers to your specific questions, but be sure to only nail or screw along one side. The wood on the barn is probably old enough that it won't expand and contract much, but the fresh battens will, and if you attached them on both sides they will loosen or tear out.

ReSomething
Dec. 13, 2010, 11:25 AM
The house I grew up in was board and batten. The battens were 1x4. the boards were about 1x10. They were nailed on both sides but they were all put up at the same time. Later we had a fence with 1x2 battens over 1x8 boards, when we repaired it we never did put the battens back on and the new wood shrank quite a bit.
For a quick fix you might just line/cover the door with visqueen. Won't be pretty but you won't have snow in the aisle either.

WildBlue
Dec. 14, 2010, 08:24 AM
I think 1x4s (which are actually a bit smaller in both dimensions) are traditional, but I'd use whatever I could lay hands on the most cheaply and still have it look okay. You'll want at least an inch of wood on either side of the gap so it doesn't split when you fasten it. We use seasoned hardwood and fasten battens on both edges, but that's new construction where it's all the same wood.

My dad restores barns. He prefers screws for most applications because they don't loosen like nails and they can be removed with less damage to replace a board (such as a broken fence board or split siding board). For something thin, like a batten attached to a siding board, I'd use a short wood screw. If you can attach your battens to the studs, you could use either.