View Full Version : #%&* MICE in my shed . vent.

Patty Stiller
Dec. 12, 2010, 09:13 PM
I swear..... the next mouse that bravely sits on the shelf in my tool storage shed at eye level while he laughs at me and and flips me off with his teeny little finger ,then calmly wanders off is going to be MY next dinner. :mad:
I can't poison them because my old outside cat insists on eating them. I can't trap enough of them as they seem to breed more every week. They are getting in and under everything. I have locked up all the chicken feed in a metal can but my pet chicken (who has a little nest box and heat lamp in the corner) is having to live with the little terrors sharing her food .Don't worry no eggs anymore, so I am not worried about salmonella) and I am afraid to sweep or use the shop vac in the shed for fear of the dust that can carry Junta (sp) virus. The shed stinks of mouse piss .:mad:
This is more of a vent than begging for suggestions, but if anyone has ideas let me know.

Behind the 8 Ball
Dec. 12, 2010, 09:19 PM
new cat. something hungry, like from a shelter. My border collies think helping the cats is a good time too. Maybe a cairn terror ( oops I meant terrier ;) )

Dec. 12, 2010, 09:22 PM
There are several ways to fix a bucket with water at the bottom, a drowel that turns with peanut butter smeared in the middle.

Some that have used that said they caught mice by the dozen for a few nights and then the rare one.

Don't know if you can use that while it freezes, but maybe you can put the bucket where it is warmer?

Dec. 12, 2010, 09:25 PM
Do you have electricity to the tool shed? If so, the electronic sound deterrents really do work well. As does liberal spreading of moth balls. Do you know where they are getting in? Perhaps you could plug up the hole with triple 000 steel wool. They hate the stuff. Where do you live? I haven't heard of hanta virus in any areas except the four corners and Texas.

Patty Stiller
Dec. 12, 2010, 10:56 PM
I live in the middle of Colorado so I don't know if I am near enough 4 corners area to have hanta virus here but it scares the heck out of me anyway.
I am such a softie I hate to drown anything. I will try setting more set more snap traps in the corners and clean the shed out for the umpteenth time to find the holes. There is electric in the shed it runs the heat lamp so I can plug in a sound device too if it doesn't make my pet checken go all crazy. Thanks for the suggestions everybody.

Dec. 13, 2010, 12:35 PM
Younger cat.....I brought one home about 4 months ago (big neutered Siamese male) as my house, which sat vacant for a couple years, was infested with deer mice....everywhere. The darn things would run along the baseboard while I was watching TV!! I used sticky traps, snap traps, poison....they outbred the traps. Got the cat...he got about a half dozen a day for maybe a week (and found a shelf on the bookshelf that he claimed for his own and would eat them up there...crunch, crunch!) and then just an occasional one....haven't seen droppings or a mouse or heard them in the walls at night or anything now for about two months now. Yeah! And he sleeps on my bed at my feet so I got a footwarmer in the bargain.

Dec. 13, 2010, 01:19 PM
My Siamese x (adopted as an adult who had been given up because he kept killing the neighborhood birds) is a hard-core mouser. When we lived in a high-rise apartment he tore out all the insulation under the dishwasher one day, much to our dismay, until we pulled it out and realized a mouse was back there.

However my other siamese x (this one adopted as a 6 month old kitten) wouldn't have a clue what to do with a mouse...he totally lacks the killing spirit.

My dobermans love to kill bunnies, I'm sure they would take on mice too, but a cat would be much easier ;)

Dec. 13, 2010, 04:51 PM
I just saw a poison bait in my feedstore that claimed no secondary effect if a pet nibbles on a dead baited mouse/rat/whatever.

It was called Assault & I was sorely tempted to try some in my chicken coop.

Anyone out there used this product?

Dec. 13, 2010, 05:01 PM
There are several ways to fix a bucket with water at the bottom, a drowel that turns with peanut butter smeared in the middle.

Some that have used that said they caught mice by the dozen for a few nights and then the rare one.

Don't know if you can use that while it freezes, but maybe you can put the bucket where it is warmer?

This is THE best way to catch mice! We fill a 5 gallon bucket half full, smear peanut butter about 3 inches down from the rim, then put a 2x4 like a ramp up to the bucket, just above the peanut butter. You will not believe how many will be in that water in just a couple hours! Hint for the squeemish: mice don't swim very well, or at least, not for very long.

Dec. 13, 2010, 05:32 PM
I am setting up my mouse bucket tonight. I'd forgotten about this trick.

I don't have grain they can get into, but just yesterday I pulled a square bale off the row and three field mice ran like hell...they had a cozy nook nibbled out of it, slap in the middle. You just flatten your mouse self, wiggle in there on the path AKA hay string, then hang a left mid bale. Damn. I feel bad for them, but I don't like them gnawing on my saddle pads for insulating their tiny domiciles, or leaving tiny mouse pressies. Everywhere. And I don't like poison.

Auventera Two
Dec. 13, 2010, 05:56 PM
I started tucking Bounce dryer sheets in various places around my feed room and since then I haven't seen them return. I didn't hold out much hope of it working, but it seems to be doing a good job. That was one of the tactics I learned when the skunks moved into the barn. Some good smelly stuff and a radio ran them out pretty quick.

Dec. 13, 2010, 07:09 PM
Bromethalin as a cause of relay toxicosis is uncommon, but I'd avoid it for 2 reasons--one, if either primary or relay toxicosis occurs, there is *no* antidote.
Two, I doubt there have been any studies done on the potential for relay toxicosis in raptors, and that really bothers me.

Dec. 13, 2010, 07:19 PM
I hate to drown things too, but enough is enough.l Bucket time

Dec. 13, 2010, 07:39 PM
Keep the cat in that eats the dead mice. Put Farnhams "Just One Bite " rat poison out for a week or so.
It will slow down the reproduction of the mice and rats for a little while.
But I would put it in the shed with free access for a month or so.
You need to get tough. Wait until the diseases they carry strike you or you other animals.
They carry some very bad things. Like the Plague, Hanta virus, Leptospirosis, and other things. All that rat and mouse pee has organisms in it that are not good for people and horses and cats and dogs.
Besides that they can destroy a saddle in one night. And bridles they will chew where the horses salty sweat rubs on the leather.
They are dangerous in many ways.
Do something about it.