PDA

View Full Version : Frozen hydrant...bonehead

columbus
Dec. 12, 2010, 04:56 PM
I just needed a cup of water and it was over 20 degrees so I lifted the handle and shut it half way to stop the heavy flow and drizzled in my cup of water and forgot to close the hydrant. I now have a frozen hydrant with the handle halfway up...and it is only December 12. Fortunately Mother Nature just dumped 10 inches of drifting snow that I can melt electrically in various tanks but I WANT MY HYDRANT BACK!!!
It is going down to -13 below for the next three nights so I was set up with backups to my backups and would not have used the hydrant when it was so cold but to not have it for the rest of the winter is too cruel. What if the auto waterer fails! Anyway I dream about the auto waterer failing all winter. As I said I set up backups. Any suggestions on getting the Hydrant thawed from frozen. Usually if I freeze it it is in February or January and it thaws when temps improve this is looking to be an old fashioned winter from the 70s and I am not expecting warm temps anytime soon. So yes I was a bone head...but I want it BACK!!! Please any suggestions any tricks and advice even to a bonehead. Thanks PatO

vineyridge
Dec. 12, 2010, 05:18 PM
Use a heat gun on it. :)

Calvincrowe
Dec. 12, 2010, 05:39 PM
Heat gun, hot tape. Ask a plumber or at your local hardware store--they may even loan you a heat gun. Good luck!

fivehorses
Dec. 12, 2010, 05:43 PM
They sell heat tape...and put a heat lamp on the head/handle too.

For what its worth, my frost free also froze, and we could not get the handle up. I put a heat tape on it, heat lamps(2), and it finally melted.
A neighbor came by, took the whole thing apart, adjusted the nuts, put in waterproof grease and plumber's sting...the thing works better than the day I put it in. I am sure if he didn't do this, it would have frozen again.

If you are handy, or know someone who is, could they come by to help you?I wonder if there is a video on servicing your frost free hydrant...?
You do have to shut off the water, so when you take it apart, you don't have water spraying everywhere.

Bravestrom
Dec. 12, 2010, 05:51 PM
use a temporary heater and point it at it - or a hair dryer. I always forget to unhook the hose - let us know that everything is okay.

One time mine broke - it just would not stop dripping - so I put a hose on it and a spigit on the end - it froze of course and I was so scared to tell my husband as he would think I was stupid and that the hydrant was broken.

After two months of fretting about it I told him and he just laughed - it was an easy fix - the top screw was loose - that was it - a 2 second fix and he was only upset with me for not telling him right away. Now I always tell him right away when something is broken - and he never gets mad anyway. He likes to fix things.

cssutton
Dec. 12, 2010, 07:51 PM
I just needed a cup of water and it was over 20 degrees so I lifted the handle and shut it half way to stop the heavy flow and drizzled in my cup of water and forgot to close the hydrant. I now have a frozen hydrant with the handle halfway up...and it is only December 12. Fortunately Mother Nature just dumped 10 inches of drifting snow that I can melt electrically in various tanks but I WANT MY HYDRANT BACK!!!
It is going down to -13 below for the next three nights so I was set up with backups to my backups and would not have used the hydrant when it was so cold but to not have it for the rest of the winter is too cruel. What if the auto waterer fails! Anyway I dream about the auto waterer failing all winter. As I said I set up backups. Any suggestions on getting the Hydrant thawed from frozen. Usually if I freeze it it is in February or January and it thaws when temps improve this is looking to be an old fashioned winter from the 70s and I am not expecting warm temps anytime soon. So yes I was a bone head...but I want it BACK!!! Please any suggestions any tricks and advice even to a bonehead. Thanks PatO

If all you need to do is thaw it out one time, assuming it will stay operable after that, get a butane torch from the hardware and put the heat to it.

You have to be careful if the hydrant is near anything combustible.

Every farm owner should have one.

5 minutes or less and it will be thawed.

CSSJR

BigPaintHorse
Dec. 12, 2010, 08:33 PM
My red neck ky way of thawing faucets was the hand warmer packets covered with insulation and leave covered for thirty.minutes or so. Has worked great so far.

Robin@DHH
Dec. 12, 2010, 10:44 PM
Pat, Go to Fleet Farm and buy a gallon of Keto-Aid in the
farm department. Turn off the water and take the top
off the frost hydrant. Pour the Keto-Aid down the exposed
pipe. It will thaw the frozen water out and you will have
a functional hydrant once more. We had to do it last
winter. It will not contaminate the water and is safe
around the horses.

For anyone wondering, Keto-Aid is a product fed to cows
having health problems. It is propylene glycol.

BigPaintHorse
Dec. 13, 2010, 02:59 AM
My red neck ky way of thawing faucets was the hand warmer packets covered with insulation and leave covered for thirty.minutes or so. Has worked great so far.

WildBlue
Dec. 13, 2010, 08:51 AM
I have a section of heat tape and a piece of pipe insulation for if/when the barn hydrant freezes up. Install heat tape, put on the insulation to keep it in place, plug it in, and everything's usually good to go in less than an hour.

Melelio
Dec. 13, 2010, 08:50 PM
Ah, yes, pipe insulation. That's what I needed to hold my heat tape....I just froze my hydrant today, too, leaving on a Y adapter in the up/off position... :no:

I hope just the heat tape worked. DH is checking it now.... dumb ole me.....