PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Boot Zippers

Calhoun
Dec. 12, 2010, 03:43 PM
My Petrie zippers are getting gunky after 3 years of use and now one of the zippers is skipping outside the track. How do you clean your zippers? Someone mentioned using beeswax, has anyone tried?

Cowgirl
Dec. 12, 2010, 04:42 PM
I don't know about "gunky" but I find zippers get sticky so I use the Zip Care stuff that Dressage Extensions sells. It seems like a silicone based product (like Cowboy Magic) but I don't know if it is or not.

Velvet
Dec. 12, 2010, 10:12 PM
I heard of other people scrubbing them clean with a toothbrush and then just rubbing them with candle wax.

Margaret Freeman
Dec. 13, 2010, 07:30 AM
From a "Horse Journal" article on caring for boot zippers:

1. Swipe off teeth of zipper with short-bristled brush before closing.
2. Regularly apply a zipper-cleaning agent, which can be purchased at stores/websites for camping equipment or for divers who use wetsuits.
3. Do not use cleaners with silicone; do not swipe zippers with the cleaners that you use on the leather. These can attract the dirt that will clog the zippers.
4. After zippers dry, store with them closed.

Calhoun
Dec. 13, 2010, 12:35 PM
Ooooh Margaret, you have pointed the finger at me. I am guilty of cleaning the zippers with Leather Therapy and Leather New. Slap my hands with a ruler. Going to the bathroom to find an old toothbrush. Thanks :)

Doctracy
Dec. 13, 2010, 03:45 PM
Scrub with a toothbrush, soapy water and rinse with plain water. Use paraffin wax, very, very lightly to lubricate. You can also visit the local dive shop for dry suit zipper lubricant. A little goes a long way and lasts a long time.
Dry suit zippers are almost as costly as a pair of boots and they can literally save your life so divers are very, very picky about taking care of their zippers.

Foxhound
Dec. 13, 2010, 08:34 PM
I bought some fancy German "Boot Zipper Cleaner" at a tack store once, only to find that it was essentially WD-40 in a smaller, more expensive bottle.
Doh!

SisterToSoreFoot
Dec. 14, 2010, 10:01 PM
If your zipper is jumping the track, it may be beyond a dirt issue. You may need new "sliders," i.e. the little thingamagig that usually is branded with a YKK. I got new sliders for my tall boots for 20$ at a local shoe shop; they work perfectly now. Something to consider if the jumping off track continues after cleaning.

jonahmerchant12
Dec. 15, 2010, 01:18 AM
Get a new one, i hate cleaning.