PDA

View Full Version : This rock salt is safe isn't it?

dmalbone
Dec. 12, 2010, 01:15 PM
Well, we had a TON of rain yesterday and it's frozen and snowing today. I have a smallish area that's ice, but it's a high traffic area, so they can't go out until it's taken care of. I thought salt with pellets would help hopefully melt and provide traction. I guess worst case scenario it doesn't work and they have to stay locked out like now. I sent DH to get plain salt since I figured it was the safest and this rock salt is sodium chloride and magnesium chloride. It's safe, right? I mean, I wouldn't go dumping it in their feed pans, but if it's going to be covered up? I don't know much (ok anything) about magnesium chloride.

millerra
Dec. 12, 2010, 01:29 PM
It's fine. In fact, MgCl2 is be a better de-icer then NaCl. No worries. Salt away. And it's far better then a horse wiping out on the ice.

[I'm sure someone will mention dogs and licking paws but honestly they'd have to be soaked in it and/or exposed a lot.]

dmalbone
Dec. 12, 2010, 01:30 PM
Thanks! No dogs here!

LauraKY
Dec. 12, 2010, 02:07 PM
I just use plain old salt in non-dog areas and kitty litter (the cheap clay kind) in dog areas.

columbus
Dec. 12, 2010, 06:07 PM
and helps more to mix it with sand. I used coarse water softener salt and sand or dark compost. PatO

dmalbone
Dec. 12, 2010, 10:12 PM
Well, it worked MAGICALLY. It was fun to have hard thick ice crackle and melt in front of your eyes. I went out a couple hours later and where there was frosty, melting ice, now there is thick fluffy rehydrated pellets under the snow. Best ground to walk on in the whole pasture!