PDA

View Full Version : Rotary Spreader

InTheDark
Dec. 12, 2010, 12:02 PM
The ones that look like revolving drums. Anybody use one? Like? Dislike? Thanks in advance.

Rbow
Dec. 12, 2010, 12:49 PM
I've got one. Dislike. Contrary to advertising and what you might infer from a link off of 02 Composting, it does not handle composted shavings/manure well/at all. If you spread right out of the stalls, I hear they're OK. I had to buy a Mill Creek to handle compost.

It was also quite pricey (large model).

LauraKY
Dec. 12, 2010, 12:57 PM
If you're talking about the Newer Spreader, it only worked for me with pelleted bedding. And I had to pick out any hay in the bedding. Still had to stop periodically to unjam it. Might as well throw it out of the back of a truck.

Rbow
Dec. 12, 2010, 01:11 PM
I'm reviewing a "rotary spreader". I think only one company makes them. It's a different animal from a Newer Spreader. Cool concept, just doesn't serve my purposes and they were clearly articulated before I bought it.

FoxChaser
Dec. 12, 2010, 01:22 PM
I'm guess you're talking about one of these: http://www.thestablers.com/
Was told by the designer at the WEG that they don't handle hay at all (it balls up in the spreader & you have to reach in there to get it out). They also wouldn't be able to spread anything frozen. The Newer would be a better option.

farmgirl598
Dec. 12, 2010, 02:19 PM
we spread manure by dragging. we have a heavy log that DH wrapped with a piece of chain link fence. We have a chain hitch, also home made, and we attach it to the pickup or tractor, and off we go!

keepingitonthedownlow
Dec. 12, 2010, 02:27 PM
I think it all depends on how many stalls you have to clean, how messy your horses are with hay, and how chunky you like your shavings.

I've had a Newer Spreader since 2002, and love it for my small farm (3 stalls, fine shavings, eat every stalk of hay horses).

Yes, hay and chunky shavings don't like to go through, and yes, you have to dump and immediatly spread, but it's easy to work around those things, and it's not impossible to get spread. When faced with a load of hay and chunky shavings, I use a long stick to poke at the edges and keep it "flowing".

We haul it with a large lawnmower (20hp), saving $$$ by not having to purchase a tractor.

Hope this helps.