PDA

View Full Version : OK.....I'm building a new trailer!!!!

paintjumper
Dec. 12, 2010, 08:59 AM
Tell me your "must haves" in your trailer. What I have so far is:
1. gooseneck
2. ramps on back and both sides
3. ride backwards
4. swing air flow face gates on the 2 straightload stalls
5. cameras
6. multiple air vents on top (we live in the hot south)
7. small LQ up front
8. swing air flow gates over ramp openings (so the "windows" can be open while driving)

What else??? TIA

Oh....this trailer is replacing my POS Sundowner that the floor is falling out of.

Petstorejunkie
Dec. 12, 2010, 10:14 AM
Can I move into your trailer? :D
Do you have $100k for a new trailer? Because that sounds like a big cross country rig in the making to me.

SLW
Dec. 12, 2010, 10:22 AM
Walk through door from LQ into the horse section.

paintjumper
Dec. 12, 2010, 10:30 AM
Definitely need a walk thru door, SLW.
Oh...and 8' tall w/ insulated roof & sides
Thanks.

tasia
Dec. 12, 2010, 12:03 PM
Satellite:lol: Sounds like it's going to be a great trailer:yes: I now have trailer envy:yes:

tasia
Dec. 12, 2010, 12:04 PM
How about an awning? So you can hangout in the shade. Or fans in the horse area.

paintjumper
Dec. 12, 2010, 01:12 PM
Got to have a Satellite/DVD and awning. My trailer now has those......wonder if I can take them off of my trailer that I have now????? Keep the ideas coming!!! God willing.....this will be my very last trailer buy and I want it loaded to the gills!!!

JackSprats Mom
Dec. 12, 2010, 02:47 PM
Adopt me!

mvp
Dec. 12, 2010, 04:37 PM
While you are at it, and because you are spending the dough for something custom and new that you'll want to keep for a long time (or lose money selling as used), I'd say you want...

The right manufacturer.

I'd personally like a 4-Star or Eby for their quality. But I'd also want a manufacturer/dealer combination that I was sure could build just what I ordered.

Happy shopping! This sounds like a fun piece of work.

ayrabz
Dec. 12, 2010, 04:46 PM
If this sounds green with envy, you're RIGHT!

But, OMG...if you can really afford to buy a brand spankin' new trailer with absolutely every option available and THEN some (3 ramps!) D'ya really need our input?

(Sorry...I KNOW that sounded so pi$$ poor jealous...and YOU BETCHA! I am! ) hahaha...but seriously! I could see a " I can only afford so much what are the most important not to do without " kinda thread!

Otherwise, I'd have the custom place load er on up with everything you can think of!!! (I'm envisioning those beautiful granite countertops, leather sofas, corner fireplace, beautiful hardwoods) Remote Flatscreen / Stereo, Slide outs, bar, Full bath.....for horses: absolutely everything they can offer you! Maybe misters in there for hot days? auto waterers? auto feeders? Equine womb sounds piped in via speakers for calming ?

:o)

vineyridge
Dec. 12, 2010, 07:38 PM
Outside lights for unloading; inside lights in the trailer box just 'cause. Lots of storage, lots of insulation. 2+1. Saddle racks in a small area between the horses and the living quarters. I've seen this in an Equispirit and thought it was perfect, especially with doors from the living area to the storage/tack/dressing and then another door into the horse area. You do realize that with double ramps, you'll be giving up an escape door, and those come in handy with fractious horses. Definitely fans for the horses, but why not just give them airconditioning?

If you're going all the way, enough of the living stuff--separate toilet and shower, gray water tank and water tank, hot water heater, sink, stove, microwave--that you can claim it as a second home for the mortgage interest tax deduction. Generator, and full AC/heat.

When you do get the perfect trailer, watch out that I don't find you and steal it. :)

katarine
Dec. 12, 2010, 07:53 PM
incinolet toilet. Walk through from LQ to horse compartment. First stall has a stud divider. Drop windows on both sides. Fans. Solar battery trickle-charger installed. 8' wide. Storage under the mangers. Mid tack. 50 gallon water tank, hose, external GFI plug. Generator, a HOnda.

RLF
Dec. 12, 2010, 07:55 PM
lol- OK when I saw the title I had a blonde moment! I was like "Building your own trailer? Talk about a hard core DIY'er!!" lol

But now that I'm on board- I'm gonna suggest that maybe you think about a roof top air conditioner. Esp in a warm climate. ...Yes ...for the horses. More than anything it will dehumidify the air and keep it from being a sweat locker. You can still use it even if the windows are open...keep it from getting too icey cold.

bits619
Dec. 12, 2010, 10:33 PM
I'm with RLF and had to laugh at myself, too :) I was thinking, I can barely put together a bridle without paying close attention, can't imagine DIY trailer building..!
Yes, it's been a long day/week/year. Yawn!

One thing I will add: you'll need lots of PICTURES of this beautiful trailer to share with all of us!! Have fun with the master build!! Can't imagine how fun that would be :)

paintjumper
Dec. 12, 2010, 11:47 PM
I am putting a list together for the builder. And no....unless you can build it with hay string and duct tape....no way I could do it myself!!!
Keep 'um coming!!! Oh...there will be pictures for all!

ponygirl
Dec. 13, 2010, 06:47 AM
Tell me your "must haves" in your trailer. What I have so far is:
1. gooseneck
2. ramps on back and both sides
3. ride backwards
4. swing air flow face gates on the 2 straightload stalls
5. cameras
6. multiple air vents on top (we live in the hot south)
7. small LQ up front
8. swing air flow gates over ramp openings (so the "windows" can be open while driving)

What else??? TIA

Oh....this trailer is replacing my POS Sundowner that the floor is falling out of.

email me later :)

TrotTrotPumpkn
Dec. 13, 2010, 12:15 PM
I want the option of turning single 2 stalls (or whatever) into one, SAFE, box stall.

mjrtango93
Dec. 13, 2010, 12:26 PM
Electric or hydrolic jack is a must have!

jn4jenny
Dec. 13, 2010, 01:53 PM
I wouldn't call it a must-have, but given the chance to buy a new trailer, I'd put in WERM flooring.

suz
Dec. 13, 2010, 07:00 PM
extra tiedowns and lights--more than you think you'd ever need and in places you'd never suspect would come in handy.

batteries or generator so you can run the lights and whatever without having to run the truck.

bench box storage under the step into the gooseneck, which should be as high as you can get too--especially if you plan to sleep in it often.

carpeted tack walls to decrease noise.

lots of reflective decals outside.
i have the same trailer set up as you are planning and it's so versatile it's crazy. i use pipes instead of slant walls, and they are fast and easy to move to divide horses and stuff. i can use the entire 16' horese space as is, or divvy it all into four small straight stalls. i was planning to haul a pair of haffies and their carriage. it fits them or four ponies very well.i can fit two horses and a pony well if they get along well.
next time i'll get it slightly longer with real living quarters.[/I]

Tom King
Dec. 13, 2010, 09:11 PM
hydraulic disk brakes-Maxbrake controller in truck

air-ride over Dexter torsion

Rumber floor

gooseneck hitch you can latch and unlatch without crawling into the bed-there are a couple of choices

power jack of some sort

LED lights-marine tinned copper wire-all connections soldered-separate ground wire to each light as in semi-trailers (Grote is my brand choice for lighting but I don't know any horse trailer manufacturers that use them)

and the one thing you will probably have to get custom-gooseneck frame high enough so the trailer will set level behind your truck with proper clearance.

CDE Driver
Dec. 14, 2010, 09:48 AM
Regarding the DIY aspect here, that is what I thought as well! But probably because the gal that works for my MIL did exactly that!!! She is one of the handiest, most clever ranch woman on the planet. You need it done and she can figure out a way to do it!

Anyway....my .02 on the trailer you are having built ;)
*I have ProCushion flooring under the mats. I can't find the website for it, but it is a closed cell foam that absorbs the vibration and shock.
*Set it up to haul facing backwards if you are doing a slant. My horses love it :)
*Awnings that run the length of the side you are working on and a shorter one on the off side.
*Solar panel so you can run some stuff in the living quarters with out turning on the generator.
*Remote start in your living quarters for your generator (so you don't have to go out in your jammies to turn it on;) )
*Half round water tank on the roof with a hose so you will have a gravity fed source of water.
*Lots of different ways to configure the dividers/stall partitions so you can do straight load, slant load, box stalls.
*I second hydraulic/electric jacks....no way you want to crank this baby!
*Get a good mattress for the bed, http://www.plushbeds.com/memory-foam-rv-mattress-p-100.html It will be some of the best money you spend! The mattresses they put in there are awful!
*Have some kind of skid plate under your plumbing. Most trailers have it really low to the ground and it is very easy to rip off. I know this!
*Get a better microwave than comes with it...unless you want to take 10 minutes to make popcorn ;)
*If you are going for a smaller living quarters to save on length consider a slide out, it will give you more space.

Happy Planning!

Eleanor
Dec. 14, 2010, 02:58 PM
I am doing the samething, DH told me to work out what I want in a trailer w/LQ's that we could also use for our ATV's when we go camping.

I want a 2 horse stright load with loading ramp, one side ramp and then living quarters. I have been looking at LQ that I like and trying to find the right company to build it.

I like this one and it is very close to having everything I want so I know that I could have them build it.

http://www.shadowtrailer.com/trailer/13521.aspx

Phaxxton
Dec. 14, 2010, 03:44 PM
gooseneck hitch you can latch and unlatch without crawling into the bed-there are a couple of choices.

Sorry to hijack -- but don't you still have to crawl into the bed to hook up the chains, brakes, and electric?

paintjumper
Dec. 15, 2010, 11:49 AM
These are great ideas. I love them and I'm making my list. Lots of great ideas. I really need the extra gooseneck floor height......I have a Ford 550 and it's taller than a regular 350 so that is a great idea. I'll let you know what we end up with.

BabyGoose
Dec. 15, 2010, 01:04 PM
Make sure to ask your horses what they want. Years ago I "built" a trailer. Two horse straight load, extra tall, extra wide, swinging removeable everything, ramp, walk through doors.... it was beautiful.....

The horses HATED it. I mean H.A.T.E.D it. My draft cross mare always balked at loading on it, she detested the ramp (she loaded like a dream and rode comfy in my trainers plain ole slant by the way) then came off sweaty and nervous. That thing was hotter than hades even with all the windows and vents open. If I had ever got stuck in traffic on hot day, I seriously think my horses might have died of a heat stroke in there. We also had a team of older draft cross mares that would load into anything. I had seen them loaded into a small stock trailer, wearing their harness so they had to duck to get through the door. When I stood them in front of my beautiful trailer they looked at me like "you are kidding right?" They always got on, but always hesitated in hopes I would change my mind. I couldn't haul young horses in the stupid thing. I ended up selling it and buying a basic stock trailer with center gate. Everybody was happy again.

You probably already know that your horses are okay with ramps etc, so no biggie. Mine were not and it wasn't a matter of them just getting used to it. I had so many horses that were good haulers in slants and stocks that hated that trailer, it completely changed my mind on straight loads and ramps. I read that infamous trailer buying guide by Neva and Tom Scheve and was convinced that anything less than a straight load with ramps was totally unsafe.

ACP
Dec. 15, 2010, 07:43 PM
Everything that has already been suggested, and then -

Self leveling jacks so the LQ doesn't tilt.
More storage space in LQ than is normal.
Motorized awning.
Large capacity water storage for the horses, too.
Spring loaded ramps that can be lowered/lifted with one tired weak female hand. LOL!
Everything set up so that you can acid wash the whole rig.

TrotTrotPumpkn
Dec. 16, 2010, 11:59 AM
Funny, my last horse VASTLY preferred backing down a ramp. His poor hocks didn't appreciate my friend's step down at all. I think he thought he was backing off into the great abyss.

I think you want a long enough ramp, especially if you are talking a taller trailer, so your horses aren't on a steep incline/decline though.

Man, if I had the $ I would do rear-facing stalls with a side ramp to walk on and a rear ramp to walk off...

Sithly
Dec. 16, 2010, 12:19 PM
Man, if I had the $ I would do rear-facing stalls with a side ramp to walk on and a rear ramp to walk off...

I really want one of these: http://www.balancedridetrailers.com/Page.aspx?id=horse-gooseneck-dress23

BabyGoose
Dec. 16, 2010, 01:29 PM
Funny, my last horse VASTLY preferred backing down a ramp. His poor hocks didn't appreciate my friend's step down at all. I think he thought he was backing off into the great abyss.

I think you want a long enough ramp, especially if you are talking a taller trailer, so your horses aren't on a steep incline/decline though.

Since I have a stock trailer, I just turn them around and they come off frontwards, no having to back off and feel for the step down.

ponygirl
Dec. 16, 2010, 01:49 PM
Just a note on rumber floors. If you have a horse that paws you do not want rumber floors. I've had rumber, interlocking aluminum (Hart) and wood. Of the 3 floor types, I liked the rumber the least as did my horses. They didn't ride as well. It was the most noisy as I rode in the back of all the trailers. Also, in the event something happens to one of the pieces of rumber, it might not be readily available. Just food for thought.

ponygirl
Dec. 16, 2010, 01:50 PM
I really want one of these: http://www.balancedridetrailers.com/Page.aspx?id=horse-gooseneck-dress23

That is actually my trailer. Literally. :D

MeghanDACVA
Dec. 16, 2010, 02:43 PM
I didn't read all of the other answers so I apologize for any duplication.

A water tank!
Tie rings for trailer ties and hay bags that you can reach
WERM flooring
An easy access "people door" into the horses.
BRIGHT interior lights and outside lights. Our "new" trailer has really good inside lights. I don't what kind they are but I love them. Oh, and lots of lights so you can actually see when you have to get in there to do something to a horse.
Big windows for good airflow, Esp since you are in the south.
Electric jack. And if you plan on staying in the LQ, get 2 jack legs for better stability.
if you can afford the cost and length, a mid tack is great. We have a BIG trailer (our dream trailer that we fell into used) that is has a 44 ft bed--5 horse head to head with room for a box stall between, a mid tack and a modest but adequate LQ that is ok for 2 people for a week or so.
Slide outs--a debate in my head. I wish we had one as it makes the LQ roomier but if you can't get it slid out for any reason, you are screwed. And it adds wt. We sleep in ours alot when we are traveling so the slide out would be really awkard when we pulling into a rest area or truck stop to grab a nap.
Skid plate for the holding tanks! Ours had been drug over something. We would putting our own heavy duty (my hubby over builds everything) skid plate on to protect the tanks. And thank heavens he did!
A proper tow vehicle. The bigger and heavier the trailer gets the heavier the tow vehicle needs to be. Not just for pulling power but for STOPPING and for sway stability.
Lots of lights in the LQ. Ours doesn't have enough light :-(
A really good TV antenna thing. Most of them suck and you are watching DVD's while hauling around a couple hundred dollar thing on top of your trailer.
Non solid head partitions. But be sure they go high enough and are long enough to keep horses from reaching over to the adjacent horse. My 17.2 mare can get to the next horse in both our slant load and our big trailer. If she were smaller she prob couldn't so think of big horses even if you don't currently have any.
Any "people doors" need to be able to be opened from inside as well as outside.
Slide out steps for people access doors.

Go look at lots of trailers and see ideas you like, or don't like.

As for companies, our big trailer is a 4-star and we love it. They used Outlaw Conversions for the LQ and they are great. Our slant load is a Gore. I have been underwhelmed by Sundowner, Excis, Sooner, etc. Alot of ads and hype but they should be spending that on their trailers. Too much what I call "ra ra ra ra".

Just my 2+ cents!

MeghanDACVA
Dec. 16, 2010, 02:44 PM
Oh, Tie rings on the side. LOTS of them. 2 levels so you can tie horses AND hang hay bags or nets.

Tom King
Dec. 16, 2010, 03:32 PM
Sorry to hijack -- but don't you still have to crawl into the bed to hook up the chains, brakes, and electric?

I put my plug right inside the back of the bed just inside the tailgate opening, so it can be plugged and unplugged easily from the ground. In the GM truck bed, there is a little recessed area that looks like it was put there just for that purpose. I even have both a 6-way and a 7-way receptacle so I don't have to use an adaptor to pull older trailers.

A light rod welded to the keeper on the safety chain hooks allows you to latch and unlatch them from the back too.

Keepers are up under the gooseneck frame to store the trailer plug and chain rods so they are right at hand when unhooked.

Sithly
Dec. 16, 2010, 06:20 PM
That is actually my trailer. Literally. :D

Oh, awesome! How do you like using it? Anything you would change?

ponygirl
Dec. 16, 2010, 07:15 PM
Oh, awesome! How do you like using it? Anything you would change?

I LOVE my trailer. :D The only thing I'd change is I'd put in a hydraulic jack and an AC unit. AC unit will happen this summer. Hydraulic jack will be down the road. I've purchased in the past from Risa so when she told me she was doing her own line I was stoked and waited till she was ready to build the first one. Mine was #1 off the line. She really paid attention to the small things. The padding is thick, the walls are lined high up, the LED lights are phenom and she even put them on the fenders. Tons of things she likes went into it. The graphics are snazzy and I get a lot of folks asking me about the trailer when I go to shows.

I am not a big person (5'3") and I find the trailer super easy to use. Ramps, latches, doors, changes in configuration, etc, etc. Just easy.

The horses travel the best they've ever traveled. Very content to remain on the trailer and what is interesting is, if loose in a box stall, they will ride backwards. So the backwards configuration is the only configuration I use when I use stalls. It's super cool due to how well it's insulated. Towing is a dream.

Aside from the quality of workmanship in the trailer is the knowledge that Hawk stands behind it. They are a great company to deal with. Risa is unassuming and full of common sense and clever ideas. She loves doing designs and is darn good at them. She asked for my input on various things being my discipline(s) are different than hers and she wanted to ensure she captured our (h/j and eventer) needs.

paintjumper- you should call her. You already have a horse who is biased towards this trailer. :D

So, two thumbs up from me.

Sithly
Dec. 16, 2010, 07:41 PM
Ponygirl, thanks for the recommendation. That's pretty much my dream trailer.

paintjumper
Dec. 17, 2010, 02:01 PM
She is on my list....I love her trailers too.... but I want it custom for us, so I wanted to put some other things on there too......hence my input from everyone here. Which are great by the way! Keep them coming. My list is growing every time I check in here ;)

katarine
Dec. 17, 2010, 03:16 PM
So, pony, is that your pr of ponies in the pics?
They have that 'dude, check out this ride, man' look on their faces !!

Lovely trailer!!

ponygirl
Dec. 17, 2010, 03:49 PM
So, pony, is that your pr of ponies in the pics?
They have that 'dude, check out this ride, man' look on their faces !!

Lovely trailer!!

No, those are Risa's ponies. My trailer when from the plant to Risa's house for a photo shoot before it headed down to me.

pj- Gather your list up as custom for the owner is what she does best. She created an XXT and XXW custom trailer for a woman in my area. She had ramps, 1/2 ramps and various doors in a configuration I've never seen. It's pretty cool. In any event she might well give you more ideas to add to your list! :lol:

paintjumper
Dec. 17, 2010, 04:50 PM
You know I need pictures of that!!!