PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Training Level Test 4?

StabledSolutions
Dec. 11, 2010, 10:41 PM
I just went onto the USEF website for the new 2011 tests and ... could not find any test 4 movements? No Training Level Test 4, no First Level Test 4, etc.

I feel silly asking, but ... what happened to them?

I have been doing the TL Test 4 at the last few shows and was still planning on staying there for a bit because I am too much of a wuss for First Level :uhoh:

Obviously, I can go back to TL Test 2 or 3 ... but was just curious.

joiedevie99
Dec. 11, 2010, 10:42 PM
There are only 3 tests at each level this cycle. The highest test of level will be First level 3- so I assume that's what you'll want to ride.

Applecore
Dec. 12, 2010, 04:38 PM
Yep, they cut out the 4th test of each level - simplifying the system a bit, I'd guess.

But if you look at the actual movements of the 2011 T3, you'll see quite a resemblance to the old T4 ;)

poltroon
Dec. 12, 2010, 04:51 PM
Training 4 is now Training 3. 2007 Training 3 is gone, which IMHO is a shame.

I don't understand why there was a desire to go to only 3 tests, and I really dislike the trot "loops" in the new T3.

yaya
Dec. 12, 2010, 08:57 PM
They went to only three tests because each level (Tr-2nd) had tests that were very rarely ridden, and it just made more symmetry to have all levels with the same number of tests.

poltroon
Dec. 12, 2010, 10:58 PM
They went to only three tests because each level (Tr-2nd) had tests that were very rarely ridden, and it just made more symmetry to have all levels with the same number of tests.

That's what I heard as well, but here in California, I always saw a pretty even distribution across all the tests.

StabledSolutions
Dec. 12, 2010, 11:56 PM
I agree with Poltroon - the past few shows I have been to had riders in almost every test. Especially, the Training Level and First Level tests had numerous riders in every class.

I will adjust, though, given time :-)

yaya
Dec. 13, 2010, 08:19 AM
Well, California is always a little different from everyone else. :winkgrin:

ridingarts
Dec. 14, 2010, 11:38 PM
I agree with Poltroon - the past few shows I have been to had riders in almost every test. Especially, the Training Level and First Level tests had numerous riders in every class.

I will adjust, though, given time :-)

But CA and FL also have some of the most heavily-subscribed dressage shows. The reduction of no. of tests to 3 / level allows for the smaller shows which happen in many of the rest of the states in the U.S. to more easily schedule ALL tests for each level on each show day. It was not uncommon, with the previously available 4 tests for some level - to have a show not schedule all 4 for each day. So... if you have a left-turning horse, and preferred to ride the "odd" numbered tests - you wouldn't have the same test choices each day.

Ultimately, it simplifies things - from both a rider standpoint in how many tests you need to memorize, and for the show secretaries as well. :D