PDA

View Full Version : Prestige saddles?

dressagedevon
Dec. 11, 2010, 05:09 PM
Okay so I have finally found a saddle that I like, and that is not 3000 :yes:!!! I have never ridden in a prestige or know anything about them. Are they good quality saddle? How do they ride? It says its adjustable, is this like the hennig adjustable or like the bates where you change gullet plates? The model I am looking at is the Galileo (sp?). TIA

dwblover
Dec. 11, 2010, 05:20 PM
I used to have the Galileo. Prestige saddles are top of the line in my opinion. Amazing to ride in, SO comfortable. Extremely well made. It's like a sofa, LOL. They are adjustable up or down 2cm and only by a certified saddle fitter. So not a huge adjustment and not something you would want to have done over and over. I loved the Galileo, but I will say it is meant for a horse with a flatter back and less withers, which is totally opposite of most other Prestige models.

ThreeFigs
Dec. 11, 2010, 05:25 PM
Ditto what dwblover said.

Two of my students have Prestige saddles (the 2000D) and love them. Very comfy and built to give the rider security. I've ridden some crazy spooks on the one client's Arab in her 2000D!

They are excellent quality saddles. Good resale value, nice leather.

If it fits you & your horse well, hold onto it with both hands! They are lifetime saddles.

Lone
Dec. 11, 2010, 06:47 PM
I had a 2000D and loved it. I bought it used and rode in it for several years. It held up really well and still looked lovely after any years of use. It was super comfortable and it made me really balanced.

I was sad to sell it when I switched from a wide trakehner to a narrow OTTB. I wouldn't hesitate to get another one someday!

Dappled Grey
Dec. 11, 2010, 07:44 PM
LOVE my Prestige saddle. I was a H/J rider who decided to start my young horse in dressage and was lucky enough to find a used Prestige very reasonably that fit both him and me. It is exactly as previous posters have said - beautiful, comfortable, balanced, and extremely well made. When my horse is more developed I will not hesitate to buy a new one that is fitted to both of us.

ThreeFigs
Dec. 11, 2010, 07:55 PM
One of the most comfy jumping saddles I ever rode was a Prestige, too. I've ridden dressage for so many years now, riding in a forward seat just seems "wrong", but the day I tried out my gelding, he was saddled with a Prestige.

I felt as "at home" in that saddle as if I'd never stopped riding h/j. Dappled Grey's post reminded me of that...

BetterOffRed
Dec. 11, 2010, 09:01 PM
I am in my second Prestige saddle. My first Prestige was the Grand Dressage. Now I ride in the Milan.

There is something that is very consistent about the way Prestige fits to a horse. I know that any size 33 Prestige will fit my horse. And the comfort to my horse is paramount. I like the point billets on them, so the saddle won't slide or shift.

I think about dabbling in other saddles, but since my horse is comfortable, I don't.

Dressage.For.Life.
Dec. 11, 2010, 09:29 PM
I have Prestige's Optimax dressage model and do like it. The leather is good quality but I've got to say that I've never been able to get the sweat flaps on my saddle to soften at all (it appears they must use much lesser quality leather here). I have very sensitive sit bones (I had to get the Biomex panels on my Stubben) and aside from my Stubben this is the most comfortable saddle I've ridden in thus far.

The Optimax fits my Thoroughbred well (he's narrow, with large withers, and very large, sloping shoulders). My horse take a 31cm Prestige and a 26cm Stubben to give you an idea on how they run size wise; And they're adjustable up/down 2-3cm (newer ones are 3cm).

Prestige's seat sizing is a little strange: There 16" is really 16.5", 17" is 17.5", and their 18" runs true. The flap length (at least on the Optimax) runs quite long; My Optimax is an 18" and the flaps measure at a solid 17 1/4" long.

If I can swing it, my next saddle may not be a Prestige due to my needing something that fits me better (shorter flaps, extended stirrup bars or a saddle that's more straightly cut that allows me to get my leg underneath myself a little more).

SunsAfire
Dec. 11, 2010, 11:31 PM
I agree with everything everyone says. My model is the Top Dressage, and we're in love. :) Fits my 8yr Arab well!

Pony Fixer
Dec. 12, 2010, 09:51 AM
I, too, love my Prestige. The leather quality is fantastic. I had a 2000D for many years, until getting my very short backed current horse. I now have the "Academy" which is a lesser known/popular model, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. The tree is adjustable up to 2 tree widths (by a fitter) if it can't be adjusted with just flocking changes.

Basically, I love it, my horse loves it, it's great quality, and they are decent price (usually $3500-3800 new) vs. some of the other "upper name" brands which seem to be a grand more. I purchased my 2000D used for $2K, used it for 4 years, and then sold it for $2K--they hold their value!

stecia
Dec. 12, 2010, 02:28 PM
I own a Prestige Galileo that I love. Unfortunately my mare is very flat backed and needs a hoop tree. thus the Galileo bridges just a bit...and unfortunately, I've resumed the seemingly never ending saddle search. PM me with your size requirements and I may consider a trial.

I agree with the above, these are top quality, luscious, comfortable saddles.

Gallop~on~Grant
Dec. 12, 2010, 07:11 PM
I have had several Prestige saddles. The 2000d and now the Prestige Doge
Wich is the European equivalent if the Optimax. It is top of the line and looks like a work of art. I love the way it fits my Welsh cob and fits me great too. I have put the saddle through a lot in 3 years and a little cleaning and it looks brand new!

kinnip
Dec. 12, 2010, 07:18 PM
Just sold my Prestige Top Dressage. It was a nice saddle, very well made. My new horse didn't fit it, even after having the tree adjusted. Oh well, some things just aren't negotiable. The tree adjustment was only $100 through Dover. If you've found one you and horsey like, buy that sucker, you won't regret it.
ETA: I should mention the horse is a sharkfin TB.

Pocket Pony
Dec. 12, 2010, 07:45 PM
LOVE my Prestige! I have a friend who is an FEI rider and I was always amazed at her seat. Not to take away anything from her beautiful riding, but she was riding in a Prestige. When it no longer fit her horse and she sold it to me, I was like no WONDER she sits so quietly! It really gives you a good place to sit and is very comfortable. I would not hesitate to get another one!

dressagedevon
Dec. 14, 2010, 02:32 PM
Well thanks everyone for your replies! I just ordered my prestige saddle, well really got it off ebay. Its a 2004 Galileo that I got for 1500, looks brand new. Can't wait to get it here, so glad I decided to wait awhile instead of ordering one of the cheaper made new saddles that I was going to (someone was looking our for me ;)) so good things do happen to those that are patient.