PDA

View Full Version : Yet another saddle question

xQHDQ
Dec. 11, 2010, 12:38 PM
I have a Hennig Sofa. I always feel like it's a stuggle to keep my position. Today I put my quartersheet between my leg and the saddle (instead of between the saddle flaps), and I felt instantly secure, with my leg in the right place and my seat actually being effective. I don't know if it was the exta "stuff" making where my thighs go wider or that it was "stickier" than the cold leather of my saddle.

Any thoughts? Do I need a new saddle? Does this one just not fit me well? Does my horse not fit me well? Do I just need to condition my saddle more?

dwblover
Dec. 11, 2010, 04:28 PM
The leather on a saddle can be a huge issue. Some saddles are just plain slippery. So I personally would condition it just before you ride so it is stickier and see if it makes a difference. What type of conditioner do you use? Some can actually make the saddle more slippery, so you will need to be careful.

ThreeFigs
Dec. 11, 2010, 04:35 PM
Before you go saddle shopping, try shortening your stirrups a hole or two. The extra "stuff" might have indeed made a difference in how the saddle "fit".

I hated my Neidersuss/Hippostar when I first got it until a new instructor shortened my stirrup leathers by two holes. I felt (at first) like I was ready to ride a jumping course, but my position was instantly more natural and comfortable and my aids became more effective. I have kept that length of stirrup leather ever since.

Until that moment, I struggled mightily to maintain a correct position and felt incompetent in the saddle.

princessfluffybritches
Dec. 18, 2010, 10:14 PM
Man, you guys just hit the nail on the head! I just got an old used Mansion House (Albion) and tried it out today, and I felt like I was all over the place and awful. I'll bet it's slippery!

ThreeFigs
Dec. 18, 2010, 11:29 PM
A dirty saddle that hasn't been conditioned can feel very slick. Even an application of glycerine saddle soap can improve the feel. (Clean the leather first!) Rub it on with a barely damp sponge. You don't want suds, but a layer of glycerine soap just thick enough to take your thumbprint.

There's a popular pony club homemade leather conditioner recipe that's also good for making leather sticky.

xQHDQ
Dec. 19, 2010, 04:59 PM
I got some new leather cleaner/soap combination product (something German; can't remember the name). It made my saddle much stickier, which has helped a lot. Yea! - Leather care products are must cheaper than a new saddle!