PDA

View Full Version : Anyone build a barn/arena in past year?

chai
Dec. 11, 2010, 06:51 AM
I'm hoping to speak to anyone who has run into red tape or setbacks in building or renovating a barn due to Building Codes. Thanks!

horsetales
Dec. 11, 2010, 09:51 AM
For us its storm water management that is the thorn in our side. We are looking to extend our barn for more storage

VarsityHero4
Dec. 11, 2010, 01:17 PM
Our issue was that our property was re-zoned as agricultural when we bought it yet when the previous owners were here it was residential so the % of developed land was already higher than what was allowed. All that ended up happening was we had to wait for it to be brought up in the next town meeting and they would vote on it. Oh, and we had to pay $500 to get it put on the agenda. And nobody cared... it was almost like they thought it was silly that we had run into this road block. Built the barn a few weeks later and didn't have a probably building the 120x100 outdoor arena.

It was a real pain in the butt because we had wanted to build the barn before winter came since the horses were living outside with run-ins but from start to finish the whole thing took 6 months to get approved and the barn wasn't built til February (my blacksmith was probably more happy than me!) so I can imagine if there had been any issue other than that it would have taken MUCH longer.

dmalbone
Dec. 11, 2010, 02:20 PM
Our issue was that our builders were idiots and plain didn't build to code. It wasn't anything dramatic or hard to get around, they were just stupid and refused to fix it until we got them proof that it failed.

subk
Dec. 11, 2010, 02:53 PM
A couple years now, but when we started our barn the county started jumping up and down because we didn't have a building permit. We're zoned agriculture--in a county that is less and less so. The county regs are very specific that if you are replacing a barn/shed/etc. with a barn/shed/etc. in ag zoning then you do not need a permit. It got a little ugly because the county either didn't know their own regs our were trying to force us to spend the money (a nice chunk of change as well as new taxes) when we didn't need to. When ended up compromising with a "zoning" permit instead that was less than $100 but still kept their noses out of it.

It was a little funny at one point because I had some county official on the phone telling me that "anything with a roof" has to have a building permit. To which I asked, "a chicken coop? A dog house. Seriously?" He said yes, ma'am but we both knew I'd made my point that he didn't know his own regs and he was being pretty stupid. He ended up getting fired a couple weeks later when his boss got back in town. I have no idea if it was because they way he treated us or whether when the cat was away he couldn't hide what an incompetent jerk he was.