PDA

View Full Version : Doggie flea advice

evans36
Dec. 10, 2010, 08:56 AM
So my lab never had a problem with fleas until about the past couple months. He's 4. He has not changed food, or anything else that would cause him to have a problem. We took him to the beach in October and stayed in a rental and ever since then, he's had issues with dry skin (always a problem but controlled with salmon oil on the food) and fleas. He is wearing a lampshade right now but has given himself multiple scabs.

I changed him to Sentinel in October to try to control his fleas with his heartworm preventative. I have always used BioSpot topical, and I continued to do so. But I'm not seeing results anymore!

Does anyone use Sentinel with good results? I know it doesn't kill adult fleas, but it's been 2 months. He had a flea dip when he first started to get rid of what was there initially.

I'm looking at K9Advantix or Advantage, but hate to spend the $ when I've already spent on Sentinel but if it's not going to work, I'm going to have to... he needs some help! I am about to schedule another flea dip but don't want to get in the habit of doing these a lot since he has dry skin to start with... if he's not itching from fleas, he's itching from dryness!

So... advice? Success/lack thereof with any of these products? Comparisons?

Thanks, and my itchy friend thanks you too :)

PRS
Dec. 10, 2010, 09:10 AM
My vet recommended Comfortis for my dogs' fleas when nothing else worked. After using Comfortis for a month I have not seen one single flea on my animals. I continue to use it monthly. It is an oral medication that you must get from your vet, it's a little more expensive but worth it.

eponacelt
Dec. 10, 2010, 09:18 AM
I had used Frontline for years, then my two got a seemingly incurable case of the fleas. Did dips, baths, etc. What worked? Siwtching to K9Advantix. One week into it, all the fleas were gone. And we haven't had a problem since.

I would check with your vet though to make sure its safe to use Advantix AND Sentinel at the same time.

bizbachfan
Dec. 10, 2010, 09:24 AM
capstar is the one that kills everything asap right? I would do that when it's safe (ask vet) not sure what is okay to mix and what is not. After capstar then switch to comfortis, working for my dog who used to be on Frontline. Or sounds like advantix works too, have not tried that.

JanM
Dec. 10, 2010, 10:25 AM
There apparently is a lot of counterfeit and expired Frontline out there, and that's one of the major reasons it doesn't work for a lot of animals. And it could be that the fleas have adapted, and the ones that are frontline resistant are the ones we see now. I would also worry about the fleas getting into the rugs or other floor coverings also, so you need to treat indoors to, and retreat every couple of weeks if necessary.

LauraKY
Dec. 10, 2010, 10:32 AM
I prefer Frontline (buy it from KBC in Lexington, the others seem to have too many adverse effects for my guys.

My cocker had a seizure disorder caused by Frontline Plus, so the regular Frontline was the only thing I could use on her.

Aelfleah Farm
Dec. 10, 2010, 10:51 AM
Comfortis is the only thing that has worked for me. Been using it a year now and not a single flea on a dog that spends most of his time outdoors running in the barns. Before that I tried both Frontlines, Advantage, and all of the cheap grocery store spot treatments.

My sister was having a flea problem with her dog too, and had been using all of the same stuff. I picked up Comfortis for her too, adn her dog (an indoor city dog) is also flea free now.

BetterOffRed
Dec. 10, 2010, 11:36 AM
Comfortis.

Comfortis.

Comfortis.

Comfortis.

Oh, and did I mention Comfortis?

IFG
Dec. 10, 2010, 12:43 PM
K9 Advantix when Frontline Plus quit working.

Nezzy
Dec. 10, 2010, 02:54 PM
Frontline Spray changed their formula and it has become ineffective. My vet switched to Vectra 3D.

wendy
Dec. 10, 2010, 02:55 PM
you'll probably have to de-infest your house, car, and yard as well to truly get rid of the flea infestation.

abird80
Dec. 10, 2010, 05:19 PM
We use Apple Cider Vinegar mixed with their shampoo to control fleas, and we have 3 large mixes in the house. :D I have yet to see a flea on any of them. Not a fan of the chemicals

Pancakes
Dec. 10, 2010, 06:56 PM
Comfortis.

Comfortis.

Comfortis.

Comfortis.

Oh, and did I mention Comfortis?

THIS x 1000000

Biospot does jack (and may even harm your pet) and Sentinel only has a flea egg inhibitor, essentially sterilizing fleas but NOT preventing them from biting.

The other great thing about Comfortis/Sentinel combo is that they work from the inside out, allowing you to bathe as much as you want (or need) to without any worry about reducing efficacy.

Petstorejunkie
Dec. 10, 2010, 10:44 PM
Comfortis for sure
the dry skin is because fleas carry tapeworms, and one major symptom your dog has tapeworms is dry skin, particularly at the top of their lower back/butt. so, you'll need to get a prazi dewormer as well, and deworm again in 3 weeks.
i'd also recommend treating your house.

you can either spit at the issue in $40 increments and get no where, or blow $200 all at once and be done with it.

ddashaq
Dec. 10, 2010, 10:53 PM
Another Comfortis user here. Last year, all of my indoor animals were MISERABLE and my poor siamese wound up with flea dermatitis which was a huge mess. My vet had us give the dogs Comfortis and the cats Capstar then Frontline and after about a month, we were completely flea free. This year, all we used was comfortis on the dogs and never had any sort of infestation.

Pancakes, you are a vet, right? I was told by someone that we should be alternating Frontine Plus and Comfortis every other year. Any idea if this is correct?

ladybugred
Dec. 10, 2010, 10:54 PM
Capstar is a pill that can be used every 24 hrs, it's not cheap, about $4 a pill thru Drs Foster & Smith, and is effective only on ADULT fleas. I have used it on my cats, and had ALL side effects crop up, including the "rare" anorexia, won't do that again. I have used it multiple times on my dog, the only issue being that it stopped working after a couple does, done weeks apart. Program is a monthly pill by Novartis, it is said to have the same side effects as Capstar, it kills flea eggs and larvae, not adult fleas.
This seems to be a bad yr for fleas.I don't normally use a preventative, I don't like using chems for no reason, and my dog has had fleas for the first time in 5 yrs.

Good Luck

LBR

Pancakes
Dec. 11, 2010, 08:45 AM
Another Comfortis user here. Last year, all of my indoor animals were MISERABLE and my poor siamese wound up with flea dermatitis which was a huge mess. My vet had us give the dogs Comfortis and the cats Capstar then Frontline and after about a month, we were completely flea free. This year, all we used was comfortis on the dogs and never had any sort of infestation.

Pancakes, you are a vet, right? I was told by someone that we should be alternating Frontine Plus and Comfortis every other year. Any idea if this is correct?

So far I have never been informed that there is any reason to alternate use of Frontline Plus with Comfortis.

Some parts of the country have fleas year-round (like here in FL) and I've definitely seen people have flea problems when using Frontline or Advantage. Some people seem to be ok with topicals, though. I think it depends on your living situation. We have a lot of apartment pets that seem to be the worst affected.

So, if you want to, you can alternate, but I don't know of any medical reason why you should. If you think it will jeopardize your current flea situation, then don't.