PDA

View Full Version : Drag poop and seed, or RESEED (elsewhere) and leave the poop?

pwynnnorman
Dec. 10, 2010, 07:44 AM
I need help making decisions and I seek those of experience in (southern) pasture management.

I rent some fairly large pastures, but the lack of rain has left them littered with poop mounds, even though one only has two ponies on it and one has three. I will be moving the two broodmares to a fresh field--perhaps tomorrow--making it possible for me to drag the manure in their old field, BUT Sunday it will rain and I have ruined (see my Rye post) a small pasture at home that I'm thinking I should prioritize over dragging the large fields.

What say you? If I were to drag that broodmare field, would you then seed it? Or would you just drag and leave it, focusing on the tending to the smaller pasture at home where the babies are?

And what of the field where the three are? I could move them as well, but it would be into a field without shelter. What do you do when you drag to spread manure? Do you keep the horses on the field these days, when the cold may be dealing with any worm issue? I am a bit shy of moving the youngsters (1-2 year olds) to new fields because they are so much more likely to find something new to bang into and blemish themselves. Is moving them to drag worth the risk?

Thanks, in advance, for whatever advice I get!

katyb
Dec. 10, 2010, 11:20 AM
When you say large or small pastures, what do you mean?

We drag year round (except I broke the drag about a month ago, so not lately). I have three horses on six acres of nice pasture. I do fecals and keep very low worm loads, so I don't worry too much w/ that.

pwynnnorman
Dec. 10, 2010, 08:27 PM
I drag year 'round at homes w/ my small pastures, but the ones I lease usually have few horses (ponies) on plenty of acreage, so I don't drag much there, especially in the rainy season. But with this drought, there'll e so much of it AFTER I drag that there will be no place to even toss the hay that is manure-free (unless I walk way, way out into the fields.

We badly need a sustained downpour to clean things up!