PDA

View Full Version : Ordering barn dog blanket online...sizing?

fizzyfuzzybuzzy
Dec. 9, 2010, 09:05 PM
Really? My 50 pound border collie mix measures for an XXL...could this right? What do people with great danes do? He measures 32" from collar to the base of his tail, 26" from middle of his chest to point of buttock (like a horse blanket is measured) and 23" around his heart girth. Smartpak has a nice wool blanket on sale, and it says he's an XXL. Is it just that they are marketed to people with little dogs?

CarolinaGirl
Dec. 9, 2010, 09:33 PM
Really? My 50 pound border collie mix measures for an XXL...could this right? What do people with great danes do? He measures 32" from collar to the base of his tail, 26" from middle of his chest to point of buttock (like a horse blanket is measured) and 23" around his heart girth. Smartpak has a nice wool blanket on sale, and it says he's an XXL. Is it just that they are marketed to people with little dogs?

His base of neck to tail measurement is longer than mid chest to point of buttock? I can't make that work in my head....
Anyway I've got a 39lb hound mix seen here: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=39176864&l=12ec620742&id=21308174 I got her a coat yesterday... I measured her wiggly body at like 22". Well the 20" coat looked big enough (and was on sale!) so she got that. Brought it home and it fit her perfectly. Just for kicks I put it on the 32lb corgi to try and size her (corgi: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=38038788&l=fe588a906f&id=21308174 ). She probably would wear an 18". I'd be surprised if a border collie mix needed a xxl.
Anyway the corgi has a bigger body structure than most I've seen, but the coat bag lists corgi's being 16" (so 18" for her is probably correct). The Border Collie is listed as 16-18" on my weatherbeeta bag if that helps at all? Lol

Tegan
Dec. 9, 2010, 09:36 PM
I just ordered my 90 pound lab a 28" inch weatherbeeta. He technically measures about 30", but they don't make that size, and I've tried a 28 on him before and it was fine.

Are you starting the measurement where the blanket would be? Back of the collar can be a kind of misleading term, I would say start at the back of the neck/beginning of the shoulders.

IFG
Dec. 9, 2010, 10:19 PM
My 50 pound Standard Poodles wear an XXL in Smartpak blankets. They measure (I think) 22" from collar to base of tail.

PiaffePlease
Dec. 9, 2010, 11:55 PM
I got my dog blanket from Dover. My guy is a 50lb Basset Hound and he uses an extra-medium 26"(which is the size between M and L).

Is this the one you are looking at?

http://www.smartpakcanine.com/productclass.aspx?productClassid=9197

the extra large is for 28-30", so that might actually work. I have friends that have a boarder collie and they were about the same length as my guy or a tad longer.

I also have a friend that has a great dane who has several blankets. If this one is too small, PM me and Ill ask her where she gets hers.

PiaffePlease
Dec. 9, 2010, 11:56 PM
Are you starting the measurement where the blanket would be? Back of the collar can be a kind of misleading term, I would say start at the back of the neck/beginning of the shoulders.

Oh, and I second this. The blanket lays at the base of the neck.

mg
Dec. 10, 2010, 12:45 AM
A good way to start your dog blanket measurement is to locate the shoulder blades (the spot you put flea/tick guard on!) and measure from there to the base of the tail.

fourmares
Dec. 10, 2010, 02:39 AM
Great Danes wear foal blankets.

IFG
Dec. 10, 2010, 08:20 AM
I measured back of collar to tail. I checked the dogs are 22". I have the Smartpak thinsulate. I would call them, they are uber helpful.

fizzyfuzzybuzzy
Dec. 10, 2010, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the info! My boy is fairly long but very slab sided/narrow through his chest. He tends to wear big coats and then the belly band are WAY too long. :sigh: He currently has a pessoa blanket that is far too small (which of course I ripped the tag out of, so have no idea what size it is), and when he sniffs the ground, it pops up and all the cold air gets up inside. :(

I think I'll get the XL and go from there. Then at least I'll have a point of reference to order additional blankets. I wish Petco/Petsmart carried REAL dog coats, not just fru-fru sweaters.

ETA: his current blanket measure 21" along top seam, but again, it's way too small. My farrier asked me whose blanket I stole!

mg
Dec. 10, 2010, 11:04 PM
If you're willing to consider another kind of blanket, I highly suggest Foggy Mountain Dog Coats. http://dogcoat.com/ Their customer service is great and I'm sure they'd be able to answer any questions you have/help you determine which sizing and style would fit your dog best. The coats are fantastic quality as well--my pup's been toasty warm in his even down to 10* temps!

jcotton
Dec. 10, 2010, 11:23 PM
Woof Woof Woof.....Houston, We have a problem.....Martha Stewart has taken over the doggie clothing department at Petsmart! Brown and Turquoise colors --YUCK!!!

I have a coonhound that wears a 22" and a bassett that wears a 18" or 20", the blankets are the fleece from Dover. Had them since last year(2009), wearing well might replace in the next few years. They wash well and both dogs are happy enough in them.

A friend of mine has a chest covering blanket from Schneiders that works well for her dog.

Pookah
Dec. 11, 2010, 11:45 PM
People with Great Danes have to shop around a LOT. I have a "teacup Dane" (135 lbs) and have only been able to find a couple of blankets that are big enough for her. Dover has a nice one; she's outgrown it now, but their sizes should accommodate your dog. Yes, it is completely possible depending on their sizing system that your dog could be that size. Ella is currently wearing a XXXL in her new blanket :-)

mg
Dec. 12, 2010, 12:20 AM
People with Great Danes have to shop around a LOT. I have a "teacup Dane" (135 lbs) and have only been able to find a couple of blankets that are big enough for her. Dover has a nice one; she's outgrown it now, but their sizes should accommodate your dog. Yes, it is completely possible depending on their sizing system that your dog could be that size. Ella is currently wearing a XXXL in her new blanket :-)

http://dogcoat.com/index.php?id=16 Great Dane specialty sizes!

CR Gorge Girl
Dec. 12, 2010, 12:31 AM
I noticed the other day that the retired foxhound that is the barn dog where I take lessons, had his coat on, and it was a weatherbeeta one, but it had leg straps! I guess they had this added on to prevent the popping up when the dog puts their head down. Has anyone else done this?
I noticed the blankets pop up quite a bit (Dad and grandma's dog both have the weatherbeeta ones)

fizzyfuzzybuzzy
Dec. 12, 2010, 09:35 AM
Where do you guys order the weatherbeetas from? I can't stomach Dover's shipping costs, so preferably not from there! :)

onelanerode
Dec. 12, 2010, 12:23 PM
Adam's Horse Supply and Victory Canter both have them, I think.

fizzyfuzzybuzzy
Dec. 12, 2010, 09:46 PM
So, took the plunge and ordered the wool one from Smartpak, and for good measure got the Centaur plaid one! Since Smartpak is extremely good about customer service, I figured they were the one's for me to test this out with! :lol:

Pictures will follow!

Auventera Two
Dec. 13, 2010, 11:13 AM
My 3 dogs are 60, 80 and 110 lbs. They wear sizes 24, 26, and 32.

I can never buy any of those cute dog sweaters from PetSmart because even size XXXL usually only goes up to 23 or 24" or so.

You have to buy dog blankets made by horse manufacturers to get really good fits on big dogs. My 3 all have a Weatherbeeta fleece, and a Weatherbeeta "turnout" blanket. The Weim also has a variety of other clothing because she's so cold all the time (no hair.)

fizzyfuzzybuzzy
Dec. 13, 2010, 06:28 PM
My boy has plenty of hair, but being a lean border collie mix, he has no body fat to keep him warm. Plus, he is an enormous weenie. Really. Starts shivering when temps dip below 50*. And if it's raining, there in no way he will step foot outside the house without a waterproof blankie.

I think I've created a monster! ;)