PDA

View Full Version : After 21 years, my horse is finally turning into a REAL horse

dmalbone
Dec. 9, 2010, 12:30 PM
Just an update on my old guy that I brought home finally this past May. Until recently, as soon as it got dark it was his habit (as it's been for the past 20 years) to start screaming and pacing to come in. I left his dutch doors open at night since the whole point of this move home was to get him OUT of his stall and get more fresh air with his COPD. Nonetheless, he wouldn't step foot out until it was time to go into the "real" pasture and not his little paddock. He slowly progressed and I'm proud to say I think he's finally turned into what we fondly call around here a "real, wild horse". He's content in his pasture after dark and will run to his stall only when he sees us for food. I finally started catching glimpses of him standing outside in his paddock sound asleep at midnight and later. Just last week he was sound asleep in his paddock at 11 pm when it was 10 degrees and snowing. I woke him up when I got home from work and he looked and me and went right back to sleep. :) Every morning he is standing 1/2 under the overhang and 1/2 out. I'm so proud! :sadsmile::sadsmile: It is possible to finally convert an old guy to the farm life.

2DogsFarm
Dec. 9, 2010, 01:26 PM
Isn't it wonderful to watch them figure it out?

One of my happiest memories is having my 2 formerly stall-kept horses spend s snowy night outside, come in for a last flake of hay & a treat, then both laid down for a brief nap before going back out into the night.

Your Old Guy will surprise you with how "wild" he becomes ;)