PDA

View Full Version : Building Sliding Stall Doors

UrbanHennery
Dec. 8, 2010, 05:41 PM
We've got swinging exterior dutch doors on our stalls that are not able to open flat against the barn. On a normal day I can leave them open and the horses can use the stalls if they'd like. On a day like today with high winds I can't do that as they just become banging accidents waiting to happen. As I left for work this morning with the horses in the barnyard in the pouring rain with no ability to leave the stall doors open due to the wind, I decided on my Christmas break project. The boys did have their turnouts on and the barn serves as a wind break, but I still feel badly.

Soooo, who has previously built their own sliding stall doors? Due to the way the metal pole barn is built they'll have to mount on the inside and will be about 4' wide. We're pretty dang handy, but I can't seem to wrap my head around this. Is there somewhere that sells hardware kits so that all we have to do is build the door? I went to the local farm store, but while they have the parts, they weren't terribly helpful...

Calvincrowe
Dec. 8, 2010, 05:54 PM
Why can't they open flat? Can you do what I did (though mine open flat): I put an eye screw in the barn (made sure I hit on a purlin) and put an eye screw in the Dutch door. I then snap the door back to the barn wall. You could use a bungie or a rope, too, to bridge the gap caused by your doors not fitting tight to the wall. Might be a cheaper and easier solution to your problem.

I would also suggest building, if possible, an overhang on your barn on that side. I LOVE mine, and it was easy enough that DH and I did it ourselves. I now have a 12 x 48 "run in" attached to my barn that the horses can use during bad/windy weather and it saves my stalls/bedding.

King's Ransom
Dec. 8, 2010, 06:00 PM
I do the same as Calvincrowe with the eye screws. Works fine for us.

birdsong
Dec. 8, 2010, 06:01 PM
I agree with the other poster. An eye hook would solve that problem. Meantime, Yes, you CAN get the hardware kits and the rail for the doors. I built mine.
Do you have a Tractor Supply available?

UrbanHennery
Dec. 8, 2010, 06:33 PM
In theory an eye hook would work, but in practice it doesn't because the doors only open out 90 degrees because of the way they're inset into the barn and how the siding is attached. I tried it last winter and gave up after the third gash on a horse from the stupid doors. It's stupid and we didn't build it, but it is what it is.

As for a shed roof? How I wish - unfortunately we can't build one there as it's a fairly shallow alleyway (~30') with a 14' gate nestled up to the barn and it's our only access to the pastures with a truck, trailer, tractor, etc. No way my husband would agree to letting me put up a roof there. This is one of those situations where sliding doors are likely the only realistic answer, and when you want to shake the person that built the barn and say "what in the hell were you thinking?!?"

So tractor supply has kits? We don't have one near us, but I could order I suppose.

Rabtfarm
Dec. 8, 2010, 06:45 PM
I am in the process of building 4 -10 ft x 10 ft sliding doors to cover the new barn front. That will make 6 sets of sliding doors alone at the farm since we bought it 3 years ago. The wood obviously costs a bit, but the galvanized steel square barn track is pricey too: a 12 ft length is about $40. After that you will need the twin wheel sets that hang/carry the door in the track. They are usually about $35-40 per pair.(one pair per door). I personally like the offset 1/2" hanging rod that goes thru the top 2x6 door rail for a hanging system. The usual National three carriage bolt hanging plate works too, but it always seems to require countersets of the three carriage bolts to work, or the correct length bolts based upon the door thickness chosen. The threaded rod is a better engineered approach, unless you have absolutely no accessible rails at the top of your doors.
Most lumber yards will be able to supply you with the hardware for sliding doors. I suggest getting the hardware on site so you can work/design with it while building your doors. And yes, a mini roof over the sliding door track is a good idea too. Usually the door itself wants to be about 4 1/2" less than the opening to allow for the track and hanger.
The hardest part for DIYr's to get right is the door track offset relative to the door frame so the door glides along unimpeded but with a good close tolerance seal. This invariably involves a trip to the lumber yard to purchase 1/4 " plywood to offset the rail to allow the door to slide...so plan, check and recheck.

SimpleSimon
Dec. 8, 2010, 07:19 PM
So tractor supply has kits? We don't have one near us, but I could order I suppose.

Tractor Supply = Del's in WA. You probably have a Del's somewhere near you.

Tom King
Dec. 8, 2010, 07:54 PM
I'd rehang the doors so they work properly. Can you post some fairly closeup pictures or email me some? I'm thinking it would be simpler and cost less than building new sliders.

UrbanHennery
Dec. 8, 2010, 08:24 PM
I'd be thrilled to take pictures for you. Will have to be tomorrow as the sun has already set today. Thanks!

WingedPanda
Dec. 8, 2010, 11:04 PM
The Skagit Farmer's Country Store up in Stanwood also has hardware for sliding doors - if you need to take a look at some installed ones, I've got a bunch up here (Stanwood).

Tom King
Dec. 8, 2010, 11:39 PM
PM sent with our email address.

clanter
Dec. 9, 2010, 07:09 AM
you can get the track much cheaper through King Metals--three shipping point... Maryland, Texas and So Ca

http://www.kingmetals.com/

select "overhead door hardware" on the left side of the main page

JackSprats Mom
Dec. 12, 2010, 04:25 PM
Cenex coop will also probably have the hardware but I would call ahead of time as they don't all carry the same stuff.

Also, just a thought, have you checked CL. I just bought 8 sliding doors with all the hardware for $100 a piece (seemed a good deal to me when I add in time/labor and materials to build some).

UrbanHennery
Dec. 12, 2010, 06:43 PM
Thanks all.

Tom - I still need to get you pics for advice on rehanging our dutch doors. The pineapple express came in and it's been raining ever since. So not taking my camera out in that.

Winged Panda - thanks, might take you up on that!

Clanter - thanks for the link!

JSM - I've been watching Craigslist. Only set to come up in the past week or two only had 2 doors and I need 3. But agree, if I can get them used for $100 apiece that's a better (easier) deal.

JackSprats Mom
Dec. 12, 2010, 09:24 PM
UH I just got 8 from someone in monroe, not sure how many she had left but she's still on CL - just FYI