PDA

View Full Version : mightymule gate opener users- problem with coldweather?

Catersun
Dec. 8, 2010, 10:28 AM
we ran into our first hiccup with our MM gate opener. It's been excessively cold here for us and this AM when hubby was leaving he had some problems getting the gate to open/close It was in the teens when he left this AM We run ours on the solar charger, and I think we have two batteries in it.

Just wondering if anyone else has run into the same problem. a couple hours later when it warmed up to the high 20ies low 30ies it operated fine.

I perused their trouble shooting section of their website but didn't find anything directly related to cold weather effecting the unit. just wondering if other users have encountered the same problem or not.

Bluey
Dec. 8, 2010, 10:30 AM
I have yet to see one of those around here work for more than a few weeks or months at most.
Those are just not very good gate openers, sorry.

YankeeLawyer
Dec. 8, 2010, 10:37 AM
I have had a mighty mule gateopener for 6 years (actually, two units in that time). The first one was hit by lightening so needed to be replaced through no fault of its own. We upgraded to their commercial grade one the next time, though.

I would call the tech assistance number; they are very good at troubleshooting and they have walked me through repairs on occasion.

Catersun
Dec. 8, 2010, 10:39 AM
I called their tech support after I got DH's voicemail that the gate was open and then drove down to the gate and it was working. We really like ours. I was guessing that the cold weather was just screwing with the battery... my car wasn't interested in working either in the cold weather.

bird4416
Dec. 8, 2010, 11:11 AM
We have had a Mighty Mule for about 10 years now. Its electric not solar though and has worked in the single digits. The only weather issue that messed it up was lightning.

Over the Hill
Dec. 8, 2010, 11:12 AM
I've had my MM gate opener for 9 years now, had to replace a circuit board because of a lightning strike.

Cold weather tends to weaken battery charges, so when the sun comes out and the batteries are "re-charged" the gate works. I did switch from solar to electric because (here in sunny Florida, go figure) I did not have enough sun to keep the charge up in my batteries!

Catersun
Dec. 8, 2010, 11:16 AM
I've had my MM gate opener for 9 years now, had to replace a circuit board because of a lightning strike.

Cold weather tends to weaken battery charges, so when the sun comes out and the batteries are "re-charged" the gate works. I did switch from solar to electric because (here in sunny Florida, go figure) I did not have enough sun to keep the charge up in my batteries!

that is what I was thinking it probably was as it was 6:30 and still dark when DH left.

We will probably get around to running electiricty to it about the same time I lay the pipes for my irrigation system (some time in the next ten years ;))