PDA

View Full Version : How do you grease your balls?

ZIL
Dec. 7, 2010, 11:30 PM
I use the aptly named "ball grease" on my turnover ball and jack. I apply a thin layer but it doesn't seem to really lubricate that well, and everything sticks to it, which defeats the purpose.

So, what does everyone here use for lubrication?

P.S. You people have sick minds, just sick.

Alagirl
Dec. 7, 2010, 11:59 PM
I use the aptly named "ball grease" on my turnover ball and jack. I apply a thin layer but it doesn't seem to really lubricate that well, and everything sticks to it, which defeats the purpose.

Right, and you don't...pointing out the obvious joke....:lol::lol::lol:

amastrike
Dec. 8, 2010, 12:02 AM
I don't usually look at this section, but I was scrolling by and saw "grease your balls" and did a doubletake :lol:.

ZIL
Dec. 8, 2010, 12:13 AM
So I haven’t learned how to make my turnover ball work better, but I have learned which COTHers are lured in by a good ol’ fashioned ball thread…LOL!

Gnep
Dec. 8, 2010, 12:18 AM
Bag Balm

Alagirl
Dec. 8, 2010, 12:51 AM
So I haven’t learned how to make my turnover ball work better, but I have learned which COTHers are lured in by a good ol’ fashioned ball thread…LOL!

they all are, you just put it out too late! :yes:

hosspuller
Dec. 8, 2010, 12:57 AM
The answer is lots of rags. When I unhitch the trailer, I wipe the ball of grease, then it's easy to handle the B+W ball without ruining clothes. Before hitching the trailer, I put a pat of butter sized glob of grease on top of the ball. The trailer hitch does a fine job of distributing the grease.

pictureonemore
Dec. 8, 2010, 02:01 AM
I just had to read this, and thank you for the giggle (or two)...it made my being sick much better, if only for a few minutes!

fourmares
Dec. 8, 2010, 02:02 AM
Rubber ball cover. Take it off before putting the trailer on, put it back on when I unhitch.

bird4416
Dec. 8, 2010, 08:03 AM
Rubber ball cover. Take it off before putting the trailer on, put it back on when I unhitch.

Ball cover, would that also be know as a nut sack?

Guilherme
Dec. 8, 2010, 08:04 AM
I keep a bottle of motor oil in the truck bed and put a little on when I hook up. It works well enough.

I also have a pair of "truck gloves" in the back seat pocket of the drivers seat. They are used for hookup, refueling, etc.

G.

belleellis
Dec. 8, 2010, 08:09 AM

Oh lordy I am so glad I did NOT have a drink handy.

ddashaq
Dec. 8, 2010, 08:09 AM
Hahahaha!! Thank you, OP, I needed this!!:lol::lol:

ETA: I was going to say hand lotion... but being female, I don't really know!

AppJumpr08
Dec. 8, 2010, 08:16 AM

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

lcw579
Dec. 8, 2010, 09:33 AM
Oh, those balls - I have no idea! LOL

monstrpony
Dec. 8, 2010, 09:37 AM
Bag Balm

Using bag balm on balls has to be cross-something. I'm not sure what, but, geez.

But I bet it works great ;)

JumpWithPanache
Dec. 8, 2010, 09:37 AM
Y'all owe me a new keyboard!!! This is hysterical.

hosspuller, would the same concept work for my bumper pull? So far my husband sprays some hitch grease on it occasionally

monstrpony
Dec. 8, 2010, 09:40 AM
hosspuller, would the same concept work for my bumper pull? So far my husband sprays some hitch grease on it occasionally

Probably, except that if you take your whole tow bar out of the hitch receiver when you aren't towing, you get so much rust on yourself that a little grease isn't that big a deal. I use a stainless steel ball (;)), but the tow bar, yuck ...

Paddys Mom
Dec. 8, 2010, 09:44 AM
Oh, great! I never believe my husband when he said that balls should be regularly greased. He'll be pleased to see this validation.

amastrike
Dec. 8, 2010, 09:52 AM

Wouldn't leather be more appropriate?

Catersun
Dec. 8, 2010, 10:32 AM

I once entered an automotive store and asked if they carried scrotal sacks for 2 7/16 inch balls. At the time I was in my early 20ies. The looks were hilarious. Needless to say, I still don't have a ball cover for my hitch. I just add grease when it's needed.

JSwan
Dec. 8, 2010, 10:38 AM
All y'all ain't right in the haid.

I like that. :lol:

appaloosalady
Dec. 8, 2010, 12:27 PM
Hahahahahahahahah, I didn't know it was an off-topic day :winkgrin:

TheJenners
Dec. 8, 2010, 12:59 PM
OMG. :lol:

I asked Rob if he had any input on this thread. He didn't catch the giggle and took me seriously. He said:

"A large spatula works well."

HAHAHAHAHH!

Gnep
Dec. 8, 2010, 01:02 PM
Y'all owe me a new keyboard!!! This is hysterical.

hitch grease on balls, yaiks, even occasional, sounds very strange, does he have any other kinky ways ?

mjrtango93
Dec. 8, 2010, 01:34 PM
Well I had some awesome stuff in a spray can called Grease Lightning that you just shake and spray. It worked really good and didn't get everywhere. You just hope that spraying balls with something with lightning in the title doesn't make the rest of the performance that fast :winkgrin:

Tornado Run Farm
Dec. 8, 2010, 01:49 PM
Well, I always keep a pair of surgical gloves on hand for such occasions ... how else could you handle greasey balls?

:lol::lol: Can't believe I just said that.... but I really do!

2DogsFarm
Dec. 8, 2010, 03:00 PM
Bag Balm

Really???
Then Corona oughta work too, yes?

Gnep
Dec. 8, 2010, 03:19 PM
Really???

depends on how it is done.

RAyers
Dec. 8, 2010, 04:23 PM

Have you ever considered just asking him? Using your balls does more to keep them in shape than any lotion or grease.

On the serious side, I simply slap on some high pressure wheel grease from my grease gun up into the receiver and onto the ball every so often.

SimpsoMatt
Dec. 8, 2010, 05:03 PM

Only in moderation. Excessive use of Corona can render balls non-functional.

JSwan
Dec. 8, 2010, 05:21 PM
Excessive use of Corona can render balls non-functional.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol::lol::lol:

Rabtfarm
Dec. 8, 2010, 05:24 PM
;)All this banter reminds me of the time Arnold Palmer's wife was on the Tonight Show with Carson years ago. He asked her what she did to give Arnie good luck and she said she kissed his balls. Carson couldn't resist and said something like: "That must make his putter flutter" and it cost him a lot of money to keep her from sueing the bejesus out of him...

Sing Mia Song
Dec. 8, 2010, 06:01 PM
Can't resist posting this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt1ABv53D3U

JohnDeere
Dec. 8, 2010, 06:07 PM
Oh, great! I never believe my husband when he said that balls should be regularly greased.

Is ur DH related to mine? He says the same-early and often. :yes:

Gnep
Dec. 8, 2010, 07:00 PM
On the serious side, use just standard red bearing grease, it will help to reduce the wear on hitch and ball.
One other reason to keep the ball greased, you might have noticed that on bumper hitches the ball has a flat spot on top. Its a savety feature, if the trailer rolls over it allows the hitch to jump of the ball, so the trailer will not roll the towing vehicle. If the hitch is greased it will allow the trailer to come of more smooth.
Get a roll of the blue shop paper towels to wipe of the ball, they are very handy to have around, best paper towels made.

One more thing, hitches and balls wear out and should be replaced on a regular base, around 50K or so.

Hunter Mom
Dec. 8, 2010, 07:11 PM
To summarize -

You can use Corona or Bag Balm, but it seems that the best grease for balls is red. Medicated greases may make the balls not work well. Grease may be applied to the balls either manually or with a gun. Balls should be greased on a regular basis for them to stay in best shape. This allows for them to release on an emergency basis if necessary. Care should be taken not to let them rust, especially if not used regularly. Should you feel that handling balls with bare hands is gauche, surgical gloves can be used. Evidently wiping balls down is also important, albeit gentle wiping on a regular basis may produce the best results. When not used, rubber coverings for balls are available and should be used. Also, balls are not to be used indefinitely, so care should be taken to replace them as needed.

Mtn trails
Dec. 8, 2010, 07:16 PM
I've been wanting to replace mine for years but, dang, they're hard to get rid of. Keep hanging around with no place to go!

Oops, not mine, err, meant the DH.

JGHIRETIRE
Dec. 8, 2010, 07:55 PM
This reminds me of Alex Baldwin on SNL with his "Schweaty" Balls.
Thank you SO much for the laugh!!!

JGHIRETIRE
Dec. 8, 2010, 08:09 PM
Correction it was "Schweddy" Balls.

ZIL
Dec. 9, 2010, 01:16 AM
So, two pages and all I learn is that some oil and a sock is the answer to my problem?

I am reluctant to use the aforementioned colored shop towels for fear that the residue might result in blue balls, which, as I understand it, is not a desirable condition.

I guess I should have been more specific with my question. My major problem is that the ball gets stuck in the hitch because anything I haul in the bed sticks to the grease in the hitch. This makes it very difficult to engage the "turnover" feature without some kind of crowbar action.

Therefore, my new question is: how should I handle my balls so that I can turn them inside out with ease?

bird4416
Dec. 9, 2010, 08:10 AM
You need to keep your balls covered with a protective sack.

tidy rabbit
Dec. 9, 2010, 08:25 AM
In the summer time, when the biting flies are really bad; I apply a good slathering of SWAT (clear, not pink) on the big balls.

tidy rabbit
Dec. 9, 2010, 08:26 AM
Oh, did you mean trailer balls? In that case I just take the can of lube-n-grease-n (said with german accent) and stuff the ball in it.

Catersun
Dec. 9, 2010, 08:38 AM
Oh, did you mean trailer balls? In that case I just take the can of lube-n-grease-n (said with german accent) and stuff the ball in it.

*snork and giggle*

SimpsoMatt
Dec. 9, 2010, 08:40 AM
;)All this banter reminds me of the time Arnold Palmer's wife was on the Tonight Show with Carson years ago.

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/kissballs.asp

Rodeio
Dec. 9, 2010, 08:54 AM
The answer is lots of rags. When I unhitch the trailer, I wipe the ball of grease, then it's easy to handle the B+W ball without ruining clothes. Before hitching the trailer, I put a pat of butter sized glob of grease on top of the ball. The trailer hitch does a fine job of distributing the grease.

This is what we do. For the other balls Udder Butter?

This topic was awesome first thing in the AM!

Pennywell Bay
Dec. 9, 2010, 08:57 AM
Oh Lord. I thought I was on the wrong web site when I saw the title..........

Frank B
Dec. 9, 2010, 09:56 AM
Can't resist posting this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt1ABv53D3U
Johnny Carson could say more with one expression that most could in a thousand words.

Paddys Mom
Dec. 9, 2010, 09:56 AM
This reminds me of Alex Baldwin on SNL with his "Schweaty" Balls.
Thank you SO much for the laugh!!!

The.Funniest.Thing.Ever.On.Network.TV!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXSyzeVWueI

Paddys Mom
Dec. 9, 2010, 09:59 AM
In the summer time, when the biting flies are really bad; I apply a good slathering of SWAT (clear, not pink) on the big balls.

You SWAT the balls? :eek:

Frank B
Dec. 9, 2010, 10:08 AM
This could turn into one of those pre-Y2K USDF Friday afternoon dives.
Ah-OOO-gah! Ah-OOO-gah! Ah-OOO-gah!
Take 'er to the bottom, Mates!

tidy rabbit
Dec. 9, 2010, 10:11 AM
You SWAT the balls? :eek:

GOSH.... I'll swat balls if I want to!
(read like Napoleon Dynamite)

Rodeio
Dec. 9, 2010, 10:24 AM
So, two pages and all I learn is that some oil and a sock is the answer to my problem?

I am reluctant to use the aforementioned colored shop towels for fear that the residue might result in blue balls, which, as I understand it, is not a desirable condition.

I guess I should have been more specific with my question. My major problem is that the ball gets stuck in the hitch because anything I haul in the bed sticks to the grease in the hitch. This makes it very difficult to engage the "turnover" feature without some kind of crowbar action.

Therefore, my new question is: how should I handle my balls so that I can turn them inside out with ease?

My DH says WD-40 or acetone on a clean shop rag will cut through the grease and grime. Better to leave as little grease and oil on it as possible when not in use because it collects unwanted materials.

tidy rabbit
Dec. 9, 2010, 10:27 AM
Acetone on balls? Isn't it flammable? What if your balls burst into flames? Then what? Great balls of fire?

bird4416
Dec. 9, 2010, 10:33 AM
Acetone on balls? Isn't it flammable? What if your balls burst into flames? Then what? Great balls of fire?

Good ness gracious....great balls of fire. :eek:

JGHIRETIRE
Dec. 9, 2010, 11:53 AM
Johnny Carson was truly a classic!!

JGHIRETIRE
Dec. 9, 2010, 11:59 AM
OMG this has made me laugh so hard I was crying. My daughter thought for a minute she was going to have to call 911.
It's really the little things in life!!!

tidy rabbit
Dec. 9, 2010, 12:09 PM

No no. I've thought this over. It could be a new product...

I will call it, "CombustaBall". It will come with a warning that it may spontaneously burst into flames for your towing pleasure.

Hunter Mom
Dec. 9, 2010, 12:11 PM
I'm with TR on this one - I don't think flammable substances would be good on balls. No where that there is friction, actually. Not to mention, acetone is a touch harsh for most balls IMO. Balls must be treated with care.

TR - I didn't realize you had a new product out now. Although I'm not sure that any spontaneous combustion of balls is good. Ever. Balls combusting without warning = bad outcome.

luvmytbs
Dec. 9, 2010, 12:31 PM
Nivea cream

As an added bonus it makes the skin of your hands very soft and leaves a fresh, clean smell on your balls

tidy rabbit
Dec. 9, 2010, 12:40 PM
TR - I didn't realize you had a new product out now.

Yes, it's a companion item to our product line known as TidyBalls. Would you like our catalog? This month's special is a string of lights for your Christmas tree. The firesafe LED bulbs are covered in different colored balls, each one is embellished with flames in a contrasting color. Be warned though, sometimes the balls get stuck together. And at no time should you ever put the lights on your forehead. Ever.

goeslikestink
Dec. 9, 2010, 05:47 PM

lol anyways
pair of disposable gloves
you need axkle grease then smear some either on the bull joint or in the coupling of the tralier
also
check that other parts of the trialer need greasing like fitures and fitting ramp springs nuts and bolts etc
check lights brakes, and floor both inside and underneath before you move of or attempt to load a neddy
and check your tyres pressures to include the spare
makesure you have ajack with you stuiable for your trailer

Phaxxton
Dec. 9, 2010, 07:15 PM
And at no time should you ever put the lights on your forehead. Ever.

Pffft! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: